U.S.A. Mitch McConnell to step down as Republican Leader of the Senate

He's not stepping down from the senate, just as the leader. This is similar to Pelosi stepping down as leader of the House 2 years ago - staying in the body itself, but taking more of a backseat. He was certainly effective leader for their party. That's not to say I agree with, well, most anything he ever accomplished, but I wasn't his target audience.

It'll be interesting, and perhaps terrifying, to see who comes in next and what kind of a Republican they end up being. It'll almost certainly be someone who more aligns with Trumpism, but the senate isn't quite so far as the House is.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

I’ll say it every time one of those politicians has a “senior moment”… where the hell is their family and why are they letting their loved ones carry on in politics? There’s no punchline. It’s sad. I couldn’t let my father or grandfather obliviously deteriorate in the public eye like that.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I’ll say it every time one of those politicians has a “senior moment”… where the hell is their family and why are they letting their loved ones carry on in politics? There’s no punchline. It’s sad. I couldn’t let my father or grandfather obliviously deteriorate in the public eye like that.
Mitch McConnell is worth something like over $30m.

His family probably doesn't want to risk upsetting him and getting cut out of a will, if they're anything like Mitch.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Mitch McConnell is worth something like over $30m.

His family probably doesn't want to risk upsetting him and getting cut out of a will, if they're anything like Mitch.

Guess that’s why politicians get referred to as lizard people… eat their young, cannibalize each other, scaly…

Hey, anyone else here like conspiracy theories?

Always, and that is interesting… obviously I don’t see ol’ Mitch as a suspect, but, he’s stepping out of the bright lights just in time to avoid publicity if a criminal trial does result from the investigation. I’d assume we’d still be several months out from any potential trial.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Guess that’s why politicians get referred to as lizard people… eat their young, cannibalize each other, scaly…

Always, and that is interesting… obviously I don’t see ol’ Mitch as a suspect, but, he’s stepping out of the bright lights just in time to avoid publicity if a criminal trial does result from the investigation. I’d assume we’d still be several months out from any potential trial.
Just weird that she was supposedly driving a Tesla that to reversed into a pond...

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I find it funny that people act like this means he's also done being a senator. He's still going to hold that Kentucky seat until he dies.

Nah, but he’s going to go back to being another face in the crowd instead of being front and center like he has been. That way nobody notices when he does one of those factory resets and has to chill for a few minutes.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
It’s sad. I couldn’t let my father or grandfather obliviously deteriorate in the public eye like that.
"Let"? Are you going to listen to your kids or grandkids when they tell you you're too old to do the things you want? I wouldn't.

Just weird that she was supposedly driving a Tesla that to reversed into a pond...
Your linked article didn't mention that. Where'd you hear that? I need to win a debate at work about Teslas being lousy cars.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
"Let"? Are you going to listen to your kids or grandkids when they tell you you're too old to do the things you want? I wouldn't.

There’s a difference between me not “letting” someone perform a task that they’re more than capable of doing and me looking out for someone’s safety or best interest when they’re not of sound mind. I’ve seen what diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and dementia do to elderly folks with my own eyes, and my conscience would not allow me to sit idly by and allow a loved one to be in that kind of position that we commonly see politicians in.

My belief is pretty fundamental, and you’d likely agree that it should carry over in politics. My grandfather hit an age where he could mow his own lawn, but he also had fallen on numerous occasions, due to loss of sensitivity in his feet. What did my family do? My dad and I came over and mowed his lawn and talked shop with him along the way. It kept him engaged, but it took the tasks off of him that he physically wasn’t equipped to perform without risk of injury. There’s no shame in admitting you’re too old to do certain things, and there’s no shame in not knowing you are until your loved ones bring it to your attention. It just disgusts me that we’re watching these elderly people fall apart in front of us and no one is saying “hey, isn’t this kinda wrong?” about this whole idea that we’re being led by people that might not remember what state they’re in or what they’re meeting with someone about, or even worse… just shutting down in front of everyone.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Your linked article didn't mention that. Where'd you hear that? I need to win a debate at work about Teslas being lousy cars.

It was in a Washington Times article where they cite some crackpot on Twitter.

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

But there's plenty of other reasons Teslas are shit that don't involve conspiracy theories. I was super interested in getting one until I actually researched electric cars. Ended up going with Nissan instead.

It was in a Washington Times article where they cite some crackpot on Twitter.

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

But there's plenty of other reasons Teslas are shit that don't involve conspiracy theories. I was super interested in getting one until I actually researched electric cars. Ended up going with Nissan instead.
There was a Tesla shop in the mall near where I lived about 7 years ago. The seats were the most comfortable car seats I’ve ever sat on, but everything else about it seemed to suck. Visibility was poor. Accessing the controls on the center console was difficult.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I’ve seen what diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and dementia do to elderly folks with my own eyes, and my conscience would not allow me to sit idly by and allow a loved one to be in that kind of position that we commonly see politicians in.
I'm not debating that, I'm just saying it's a big assumption that his family hasn't talked to him when maybe he just is ignoring them. It's one thing to let your kids mow the lawn. It's another to give up a position of power.

Right? It was telling that my co-worker's response to me calling Teslas terrible was, "I have a Tesla and it's... fine."

Teslas are just that, fine. They just get way better marketing and have a cult following like apple products.

I have a coworker who managed to finagle his way through a bunch of student electric cars back when used cars were being gobbles up at large prices. He preordered a Tesla and by the time it came he could sell it back for more than he paid, then he got a Model Y and was able to do the same there. Then he got the IONIQ 5 and decided to keep it because it was by far the nicest he had seen. Still feels that way.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm not debating that, I'm just saying it's a big assumption that his family hasn't talked to him when maybe he just is ignoring them. It's one thing to let your kids mow the lawn. It's another to give up a position of power.

I wish I didn’t agree, but you make a good point. That whole $30m worth part that Vash pointed out gives a much better motive for the family to look out for him. I’d suspect it would be pretty easy to diminish your value by wasting away in the public eye, so that’s all the more reason they should do something.

Maybe he’s just an evil old man that knows his time is slipping away…

Maybe he’s just another lizard person…

IMG_7007.jpeg

Right? It was telling that my co-worker's response to me calling Teslas terrible was, "I have a Tesla and it's... fine."

…and that’s after they’ve been around for a little bit. When they first came out? Phew. Horrible. Lot of the guys in the repo business started sweating at the thought of cars repossessing themselves, though.

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
Update: they couldn't crack the reinforced glass

Possible weird conspiracy stuff aside, this seems like a weird safety oversight, even if a rare scenario

Edit: Hey off the top of your head do you remember which cabinet position her sister held

Something that loosened regs in a major industry

Eh I'm sure it's not ironic or important

Last edited:

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Update: they couldn't crack the reinforced glass

Possible weird conspiracy stuff aside, this seems like a weird safety oversight, even if a rare scenario

I read somewhere else that the manual release for the doors for when the electronic door openers fail is hidden under the trim in the back, and that people buy aftermarket emergency releases so they're actually accessible.

So the windows are nearly unbreakable and the doors may be impossible to open. No big deal, nobody ever needs to quickly escape a vehicle, right?

Back
Top Bottom