U.S.A. Massive container ship loses power near NYC’s Verrazzano Bridge

You know... this is a fantastic way to cripple infrastructure very slowly. Take out important bridges under the guise of it being an "accident". Takes a long time to clean up, even longer to repair, and it's suuuuuuuuper expensive to fix.

Luckily, the Golden Gate Bridge wouldn't collapse to a barge like that striking it. It was build to be earthquake proof, so they took extra steps to ensure it's stability.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

If this keeps happening, they need to look at the Key Bridge collapse as a cyber attack, because between this and that barge....how are these accidents?

This is exactly why even the rationally thinking people were questioning the container ship’s positioning prior to the first loss of power downtown. I’ve been over that bridge thousands of times and had never seen a ship get that far away from the center of the span.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Is it a cyber attack, or is this like when every train derailment was in the news after a very bad one and it turned out trains derail every day? Maybe ships also lose power a lot but it just usually doesn't cause serious problems.

I'm not sure which scenario is more worrying.

They've said ships losing power like this happens, but it's not all the time.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
They've said ships losing power like this happens, but it's not all the time.

Exactly. However, it isn’t outside of the realm of possibility that someone could take that knowledge and exploit it either. There are countless examples of terrorist acts that are courtesy of exploiting holes in security that have been observed.

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
Exactly. However, it isn’t outside of the realm of possibility that someone could take that knowledge and exploit it either. There are countless examples of terrorist acts that are courtesy of exploiting holes in security that have been observed.
Not a bad approach, to chip away at enemy infrastructure while exploiting the apathetic "oh, it always does that" ability to ignore shit that comes with working-around poorly built systems.

Not that I necessarily think that's what's going on. I'd lean fucked up coincidence over a coordinated intelligent attack. 🤷

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Not a bad approach, to chip away at enemy infrastructure while exploiting the apathetic "oh, it always does that" ability to ignore shit that comes with working-around poorly built systems.

Not that I necessarily think that's what's going on. I'd lean fucked up coincidence over a coordinated intelligent attack. 🤷

Infrastructure has been a focus of counterterrorism for quite some time, immediately following 9/11 there were lockdowns of ports and rails for that exact reason despite no recorded incidents following that day. It wasn’t long after the foundation of the DHS that we started seeing them all around the ports and rail yards here, and I’d assume there are several other cities that are “better” targets, considering we’re already down one pseudo-historical landmark since the buoy representing where Francis Scott Key penned the Star Spangled Banner was untouched and the bridge itself had no historical link other than the urban legend we told out of towners about Old Bay being the rust scraped from under the bridge.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Is the ship steering even connected to a network at all? I would hope not, for exactly this reason, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear otherwise.

I wouldn’t think that the mechanical steering would be in the sense that it could be piloted remotely like an RC car, but I’d certainly suspect that navigational steering could be compromised. That’s well beyond the scope of my knowledge, though.

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm just guessing, but I'd think most of these large cargo ships do probably have some kind of network sending/receiving data. Unless they're ancient, they have to have diagnostic systems and the like, probably feeding back to a corporate HQ.

Even if the steering itself isn't able to be directly manipulated, any kind of penetration into radar systems, depth gauges, etc. could probably lead it astray and to crash.

I mean, humans can just fuck up just as easy, but there's no chance it's impossible.

If it were a tit-for-tat attack on infrastructure, and assuming China is the culprit (because which other country would be able to orchestrate and benefit from such an attack?), all the US would have to do is destroy the Three Gorges Dam and then China is completely and utterly crippled, in wake of probably the largest humanitarian disaster of all time.

And then we all get to enjoy a nuclear holocaust hellscape, causing an even LARGER worldwide humanitarian disaster, hooray!

Back
Top Bottom