U.S.A. Man sues Buffalo Wild Wings

lmao, you guys are gonna love this. šŸ˜‚

On Tuesday, a federal judge dismissed an Illinois man's lawsuit against Buffalo Wild Wings, one that accused the restaurant chain of selling chicken breast meat as "boneless wings." According to Law & Crime, U.S. District Judge John Tharp Jr. tossed Aimen Halim's complaint on "procedural grounds," but Halim's attorney said they would be refiling the suit and giving it another go.

This all started last week, when Halim sued Buffalo Wild Wings for the "false and deceptive marketing and advertising" of boneless wings as, well, being boneless wings. "Unbeknownst to Plaintiff and other consumers, the Products are not wings at all, but instead, slices of chicken breast meat deep-fried like wings," the complaint reads. "Indeed, the Products are more akin, in composition, to a chicken nugget rather than a chicken wing."

In the legal filing, Halim says that if he had known that boneless wings weren't actual chicken wings, he "would have paid less for them or would not have purchased them at all." As a result, he "suffered a financial injury" when he ordered boneless wings in January at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in the Chicago suburbs. "Plaintiff will be unable to rely with confidence on Defendants' advertising of the Products in the future," the complaint sighs.

The court documents suggest that Buffalo Wild Wings should've either let consumers know that boneless wings are made of 100% whole white breast meat ā€” which is what Domino's Pizza does for its "Boneless Chicken" offerings ā€” or that it should've used an alternate name for those items. Papa Johns, the filing noted, uses the term "Chicken Poppers" instead of "boneless"...anything.

Halim is far from the first person to call out "boneless wings" as a still-edible impossibility. Associated Press writer Ted Anthony described them as a "culinary lie" in a piece published just before this year's Super Bowl, equating them with other "gentle imposters" like baby-cut carrots or the surimi that cosplays as shellfish in some California rolls. (And who could forget Ander Christensen, the Nebraska man who begged the Lincoln City Council to ban the "boneless" name, suggesting that they could be referred to as "Buffalo-style chicken tenders, wet tenders, saucy nugs, or trash" instead.)

This isn't the plaintiff's first class-action suit against a household-brand name. Halim has also sued KIND over the claim that its granola bars are high in fiber, Tom's of Maine for labeling its Wicked Fresh! Mouthwash as "natural," and Reynolds Consumer Products over the recyclability of its Hefty-brand trash bags.

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder
My favorite part:
(And who could forget Ander Christensen, the Nebraska man who begged the Lincoln City Council to ban the "boneless" name, suggesting that they could be referred to as "Buffalo-style chicken tenders, wet tenders, saucy nugs, or trash" instead.)

Trash..? šŸ˜‚ I love Boneless wings

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
This just reeks of some wannabe law school dropout looking to make a splash and get his name out there, and *maybe* make a couple bucks or score some free processed meat. Why else would someone do this? Itā€™s pretty common knowledge what boneless wings are.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
This just reeks of some wannabe law school dropout looking to make a splash and get his name out there, and *maybe* make a couple bucks or score some free processed meat. Why else would someone do this? Itā€™s pretty common knowledge what boneless wings are.
I gotta disagree with you here. It's complete bullshit that chicken nuggets got rebranded as "boneless wings". They are not wings. It's fine to like them, but just call them what they are. If they won't sell as well if they're labeled accurately, then that's all the more reason to ban mislabeling them.

Yes, I will 100% die on this hill.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I gotta disagree with you here. It's complete bullshit that chicken nuggets got rebranded as "boneless wings". They are not wings. It's fine to like them, but just call them what they are. If they won't sell as well if they're labeled accurately, then that's all the more reason to ban mislabeling them.

Thatā€™s typical corporate false-advertising bullshit, though. There is a distinction between Dino nuggets, chicken nuggets, and boneless wings that most toddlers can make. To say that a grown man entering a frivolous lawsuit canā€™t discern is just silly. Itā€™s no different than the people that sue because their Orange Julius isnā€™t orange enough or their Starbucks drink isnā€™t coffee enough or Olive Garden isnā€™t real Italian cuisine. Thereā€™s not a single person entering any of those establishments under a delusion that theyā€™re getting something authentic, and anyone that isā€¦ theyā€™ve been living under a rock.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Thatā€™s typical corporate false-advertising bullshit, though.
I'm pretty sure false advertising is illegal, so what's the problem for suing over it?

There is a distinction between Dino nuggets, chicken nuggets, and boneless wings that most toddlers can make.
So call them imitation wings or chicken tenders or whatever. But they are not wings!

Thereā€™s not a single person entering any of those establishments under a delusion that theyā€™re getting something authentic
C'mon Mark. I know you have met people. Plenty of people are dumb or ignorant enough to not know better.

• Seen
Reactions: TD

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm pretty sure false advertising is illegal, so what's the problem for suing over it?

Iā€™m all for eliminating the terminology, but for one ding dong to feel entitled to compensation versus the millions of consumers who also willfully and knowingly purchase deceptively advertised products? Naaah. Donā€™t get me wrong, I get where youā€™re coming from and agree, I just donā€™t think any one individual deserves any notoriety for it. Someone just needs to pat him on the shoulder and say ā€œWe all know whatā€™s up, dude, sit down, eat your nuggies and chill.ā€

So call them imitation wings or chicken tenders or whatever. But they are not wings!

Look, youā€™re talking to the guy that isnā€™t even so sure that they should be called ā€œchickenā€, Iā€™m with you.

C'mon Mark. I know you have met people. Plenty of people are dumb or ignorant enough to not know better.

Yeaaahā€¦ youā€™re rightā€¦ fucking people, manā€¦

• Seen
Reactions: TD

This, except itā€™s also not fine to like them

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Iā€™m all for eliminating the terminology, but for one ding dong to feel entitled to compensation versus the millions of consumers who also willfully and knowingly purchase deceptively advertised products? Naaah.
That's fair. I agree he shouldn't get a payday out of it, they just need to stop doing it.

That's their problem, not the company's.
It's the company's problem because they are mislabeling their food.

From the sounds of it, they're legit what we just call chicken bites or maybe jumbo popcorn chicken.
Yep, pretty much, except they're coated in wing sauce.

1000006038.jpg

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Yep, pretty much, except they're coated in wing sauce.

1000006038.jpg
I mean as a fan of most forms of fried chicken, they look tasty to me.

Back
Top Bottom