Resolved Losing posts...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Kind of odd, but I believe I saw that I had passed just over 2000 posts this morning when I looked at the side profile of mine. Now though, after I got back home after a trip to town, I'm like... almost 10 posts down?

To be honest, I do not actually care for the lost posts, but more so putting this out there in case there's a glitch or something that is causing them to get lost. The Shitposting Dept. definitely would cause an uproar if this becomes an issue for sure.

So uhh... yeah. Maybe some threads were nuked and the forum just adjusts post counts down as they no longer exists? I know some other forums you had to manually have it recount posts, but maybe XF does it automatically. Just throwing things around to see if something sounds reasonable.

:shrug

Weird thing regardless.

Solution
OK. All copies of my campaign thread were deleted. Only the original remains.

What you're at should be what you're supposed to be at, at least without my fuckery.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
The Shitposting Dept. definitely would cause an uproar if this becomes an issue for sure.
riot GIF

I haven't actually noticed but I don't actively look at my post count anymore, but if y'all say it's happening I believe you.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Kind of odd, but I believe I saw that I had passed just over 2000 posts this morning when I looked at the side profile of mine. Now though, after I got back home after a trip to town, I'm like... almost 10 posts down?

To be honest, I do not actually care for the lost posts, but more so putting this out there in case there's a glitch or something that is causing them to get lost. The Shitposting Dept. definitely would cause an uproar if this becomes an issue for sure.

So uhh... yeah. Maybe some threads were nuked and the forum just adjusts post counts down as they no longer exists? I know some other forums you had to manually have it recount posts, but maybe XF does it automatically. Just throwing things around to see if something sounds reasonable.

:shrug

Weird thing regardless.

I've been noticing this all day. I'd jump up in posts, then drop in posts. Seems like something is affecting the counts at least. Was there a mass deletion?

Would the two of you happened to both have visited Stormwreck Isle in D&D for example?

Ben

Bingo! Dino DNA.
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
Would the two of you happened to both have visited Stormwreck Isle in D&D for example?
They are. This was going to be my thought, because I've been trying to copy that thread and make another version with just the story posts.

I didn't really expect copying the thread and/or deleting it to add to or subtract from the post count, though.

So... I guess if I just abandon that idea it'll put you at what you should be and stop moving around.

Yes I have been.

So... I guess if I just abandon that idea it'll put you at what you should be and stop moving around.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'll take free doubling of my posts in that thread :link

That said, I understand WHY you are saying that. I find it hard to follow that thread sometimes with how much we go off topic.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
They are. This was going to be my thought, because I've been trying to copy that thread and make another version with just the story posts.

I didn't really expect copying the thread and/or deleting it to add to or subtract from the post count, though.

I was thinking that you moving them to your forum would alter the visible post count on a permission-level. If they can only review 250 of their 300 posts because you moved 50 to a forum they don’t have permission to, so it may have reflected that way. Unless of course, there were actual deletions of duplicates, which would be the more logical explanation.

Ben

Bingo! Dino DNA.
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
I was thinking that you moving them to your forum would alter the visible post count on a permission-level. If they can only review 250 of their 300 posts because you moved 50 to a forum they don’t have permission to, so it may have reflected that way. Unless of course, there were actual deletions of duplicates, which would be the more logical explanation.
The main thread was never moved, I just copied posts into DM subforum. I just expected it to not count coped posts into the post count, though it makes sense as they're just getting new postids, I guess.

I've been having some errors with trying to make it more narrative though, so I'll just find some other solution without actually copying the posts themselves.

Ben

Bingo! Dino DNA.
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
OK. All copies of my campaign thread were deleted. Only the original remains.

What you're at should be what you're supposed to be at, at least without my fuckery.

• Sad
Reactions: Jon
Solution

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
The main thread was never moved, I just copied posts into DM subforum. I just expected it to not count coped posts into the post count, though it makes sense as they're just getting new postids, I guess.

I've been having some errors with trying to make it more narrative though, so I'll just find some other solution without actually copying the posts themselves.

Do what you gotta do, dude, as long as there’s a logical explanation for it there’s no need for concern. We just don’t need mysteriously deleting bugs or anything wild like that, so as long as everyone knows it’s nothing serious everyone should be cool.

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Jon

Ben

Bingo! Dino DNA.
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
Do what you gotta do, dude, as long as there’s a logical explanation for it there’s no need for concern. We just don’t need mysteriously deleting bugs or anything wild like that, so as long as everyone knows it’s nothing serious everyone should be cool.
It was acting up anyway so I'm fine with just scraping that idea and doing it a different way.

Whenever I deleted a bulk of the discussion posts out of the thread copy, it did the "blank page nothing will load" thing we had before with the D&D tweaks. Except it did it on every template, including default. I'd pinged Crystal and Lee about it, but this saves them debugging it at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ben

Bingo! Dino DNA.
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
As an aside, if you want to copy threads for testing and such, but don't want to impact post counts, just create a sub-forum and turn posts off in the options for that forum ;)
That's a thought for the future. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom