Multi Lords of the Fallen

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I know Soulslikes aren't the most popular around here but is anyone planning on getting this?

I've been following it closely and was excited, but wasn't planning on getting it for money reasons.

One of my friends ending up sending me money to get it so I'm actually gonna get to play it (pumped about it - he really didn't need to do this).

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
When you play it and write a bit about it, please tag me and let me know how it is.
Absolutely will do.
Am I crazy, or is there another game with this same name?
There was, it was one of the first AA Soulslikes. It wasn't good though, like it was okay.

This one despite the same name and the same universe is done by a completely different dev team.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
When you play it and write a bit about it, please tag me and let me know how it is.
So..

This game has had an interesting launch. A lot of people have had serious issues while others were barely affected. I'm in the barely effected camp.

I played this game on release and it was HARD but I loved every minute of it. They've since had numerous nerfing patches which is unfortunate.

It's still early but my early impression is I like it more than Bloodborne and Elden Ring - it rivals the souls games.

What it does well:
- Atmosphere, world, and level design. The interconnectedness and detail to the world and level design is nuts. Maybe even better than Fromsoft.
- Shortcuts and secrets are everywhere. The umbral realm is amazing and there's some legit puzzles.
- Innovation. Lot of new cool shit that hashtag been scene, especially with Umbral and other mechanics.
- The story and lore, I wasn't sure how I felt in the early stages but once I understood what was going on I loved it.
- Combat, it feels good, there's lots of options and variety.
- Fashion. Legit the best fashion in any Soulslike, Fromsoft included.
- Co op (when it works), it functions the same as Souls and ER, but once you summon someone they stay with you until you send them away.
- Build variety and options. Lots and lots of possibilities.
- Boss fights while not overly challenging are extremely fun, memorable, and well designed.
- They actually have events, new content coming, a roadmap, NG+ modifiers coming, and so much more. The post launch support is unreal.

Where it's lacking:
- The mob variety leaves a bit to be desired. They do decently to make encounters feel different with enemy placement but more Mob variety would've been nice.
- Performance. Single biggest issue with the game but these devs are legit insane.
- Difficulty. People cried about mob density on release and it's been nerfed to shit. It's pretty easy now. I prefer the old density and enemy placement. Bosses were buffed but.. yeah.
- Online play can be hit and miss due to netcode. Some sessions are great, others are a laggy mess.

This is honestly one of the best games I've played in a long time but I'm a diehard Fromsoft fan.

If you like Souls games you'll love this, but maybe wait a bit until tech issues get sorted.

So..

This game has had an interesting launch. A lot of people have had serious issues while others were barely affected. I'm in the barely effected camp.

I played this game on release and it was HARD but I loved every minute of it. They've since had numerous nerfing patches which is unfortunate.

It's still early but my early impression is I like it more than Bloodborne and Elden Ring - it rivals the souls games.

What it does well:
- Atmosphere, world, and level design. The interconnectedness and detail to the world and level design is nuts. Maybe even better than Fromsoft.
- Shortcuts and secrets are everywhere. The umbral realm is amazing and there's some legit puzzles.
- Innovation. Lot of new cool shit that hashtag been scene, especially with Umbral and other mechanics.
- The story and lore, I wasn't sure how I felt in the early stages but once I understood what was going on I loved it.
- Combat, it feels good, there's lots of options and variety.
- Fashion. Legit the best fashion in any Soulslike, Fromsoft included.
- Co op (when it works), it functions the same as Souls and ER, but once you summon someone they stay with you until you send them away.
- Build variety and options. Lots and lots of possibilities.
- Boss fights while not overly challenging are extremely fun, memorable, and well designed.
- They actually have events, new content coming, a roadmap, NG+ modifiers coming, and so much more. The post launch support is unreal.

Where it's lacking:
- The mob variety leaves a bit to be desired. They do decently to make encounters feel different with enemy placement but more Mob variety would've been nice.
- Performance. Single biggest issue with the game but these devs are legit insane.
- Difficulty. People cried about mob density on release and it's been nerfed to shit. It's pretty easy now. I prefer the old density and enemy placement. Bosses were buffed but.. yeah.
- Online play can be hit and miss due to netcode. Some sessions are great, others are a laggy mess.

This is honestly one of the best games I've played in a long time but I'm a diehard Fromsoft fan.

If you like Souls games you'll love this, but maybe wait a bit until tech issues get sorted.
Interesting!! I didn't expect it to be so good. Well that settles it -- I'll definitely pick it up some day. But it's not going to be any time soon, unfortunately. I'm still waiting to pick up a PS5. No hurry there while I still have a huge backlog of PS3 and PS4 games

Out of curiosity though, I see it's rated a lot lower than the Souls games. Why do you think that might be?

Last edited:

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Out of curiosity though, I see it's rated a lot lower than the Souls games. Why do you think that might be?
I assume you're referring to critical reception and this game is one of the most polarizing I've ever seen. Glancing at Metacritic the score range is 40 to 100, which tells me there's things that people hate, things that people love, and perhaps more importantly - like every Soulslike, it's not for everyone.

I think with the release of Elden Ring and how well that was received, Soulslikes get judged even harder now.

With that said - admittedly, the game release should've been pushed 1 or 2 months, but the publisher said go.

Skimming reviews, the biggest problems were it felt unpolished, missing some key things (item storage but it's coming), and people felt the difficulty was "cheap". They've released over a dozen patches already and the game is dramatically different and addresses these concerns.

Performance aside, one of the big things was mob density and leashing. There was lots of mobs, like lots, and leashing didn't exist. This is what people called "cheap" but honestly - I liked it. It taught crowd control and punished you for rushing and sprinting through everything. It's been patched to adjust to that feedback though.

These devs are nuts though and actively listen to the feedback of their fans. For better or worse. I don't agree with all changes but they're working their ass off.

I mean, here's what they're working on for the remainder of the year (released few weeks ago):

lotf-roadmap-1699378464761.png

I assume you're referring to critical reception and this game is one of the most polarizing I've ever seen. Glancing at Metacritic the score range is 40 to 100, which tells me there's things that people hate, things that people love, and perhaps more importantly - like every Soulslike, it's not for everyone.

I think with the release of Elden Ring and how well that was received, Soulslikes get judged even harder now.

With that said - admittedly, the game release should've been pushed 1 or 2 months, but the publisher said go.

Skimming reviews, the biggest problems were it felt unpolished, missing some key things (item storage but it's coming), and people felt the difficulty was "cheap". They've released over a dozen patches already and the game is dramatically different and addresses these concerns.

Performance aside, one of the big things was mob density and leashing. There was lots of mobs, like lots, and leashing didn't exist. This is what people called "cheap" but honestly - I liked it. It taught crowd control and punished you for rushing and sprinting through everything. It's been patched to adjust to that feedback though.

These devs are nuts though and actively listen to the feedback of their fans. For better or worse. I don't agree with all changes but they're working their ass off.

I mean, here's what they're working on for the remainder of the year (released few weeks ago):

View attachment 4167
Alright, very interesting! Sounds great, and overall like the changes benefit the game quite drastically. I'll definitely be checking it out. Not a huge fan of timed events though (Halloween events) because it feels a bit exclusive. Still, you have me excited to play it. Thanks for the thorough write-up!

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Alright, very interesting! Sounds great, and overall like the changes benefit the game quite drastically. I'll definitely be checking it out. Not a huge fan of timed events though (Halloween events) because it feels a bit exclusive. Still, you have me excited to play it. Thanks for the thorough write-up!
You're welcome!

Yeah I don't liked timed events either, it's a big reason I don't like mobile games either. I wish they put it in but then just left it there.

If it makes you feel better, it's just a bit of lore you learn, and you get a helmet that boosts item discovery.

If that's something you want I could easily drop it for you whenever you get it.

Oh also. The NG+ modifiers are said to include random generators without mod usage which is nuts.

You're welcome!

Yeah I don't liked timed events either, it's a big reason I don't like mobile games either. I wish they put it in but then just left it there.

If it makes you feel better, it's just a bit of lore you learn, and you get a helmet that boosts item discovery.

If that's something you want I could easily drop it for you whenever you get it.
Cheers mate, probably not that big of a deal tbh in that case. Of course, maybe I could get it the next year, or the year after, too šŸ˜

• Cheers!
Reactions: TD

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Revisiting this because they launched a massive update before working on the sequel and I'm definitely going to be hopping back in.

Master of Fate imbues power directly into playersā€™ hands, allowing them to fully customize their game experience. The modifier system, while not for the fainthearted, can even be enabled from the very first playthrough of Lords of the Fallen, throwing down the gauntlet to action-RPG veterans new to the game. Among the seven different modifiers available to players are randomized enemy spawns and loot drops, together with an Ironman mode; with these three modifiers enabled, Lords of the Fallen effectively becomes a roguelite.

Lords of the Fallen Master of Fate 1.5 update patch notes:

Master of Fate features a wide range of modifiers, enabling players to tweak and customize playthroughs for a truly unique experience every time, including:

• Random enemy spawn: Every encounter becomes completely unpredictable with every playthrough, with any of the 70+ enemy types capable of appearing at any point
  • Random loot spawn: Players will never know what item they'll pick up next, as any weapon, piece of armor, or item can be randomly found throughout Mournstead
  • Ironman: For the ultimate git gud challenge; get slain in Umbral with this modifier enabled and players will have to start their journey again... albeit with items and character level intact.
  • Withered healing: Health items and spells will only replenish as withered healing, which can only be regained fully by dealing damage to enemies, encouraging aggressive play to survive.
  • Mob density modifier: Adjust the density of enemy mobs encountered through the journey across Mournstead in both Axiom and Umbral

Back
Top Bottom