• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Late to the party but glad to be back

Conscience

GW Elder
Hey everyone, I've been lurking the forum for the last few days and the memories are returning! Loads of familiar names here. I went by the handle Harmalade before Conscience.

I joined in 2006 for the Sonic the Hedgehog forum and probably stopped posting entirely after about 2011 or so. I'll be 30 in a couple of weeks so that's a good 5th of my life I spent on GW! COPPA didn't stop me, for those that did the maths on my age.

I googled the site one day to discover it had been nuked and I was a little relieved that all my dumb posts sent over a dial up modem had vanished into the ether. I don't know what happened to my GW focused Photobucket account but thank god that's gone too.

In my time I was active in CV/PIMI and the music forum, and basically remember trying pretty hard to fit in with the older kids. That got me into a little trouble and I didn't exactly ingratiate myself with the crowd or moderators, but that was the internet back then (gatekeeping was important) and I probably grew out of my annoying phase soon after leaving the boards, lol.

I think it's interesting that after other social medias have gained ascendancy and ubiquity with the masses, people are going back to atomised, small communities on Discord etc. In my view, the itch that's scratched by an old style forum can't be replicated by Reddit at all, which is so ephemeral, impersonal and basic (and literally AI in some cases). Discord is great but its rolling chat nature makes it hard to keep up a correspondence on a particular topic sometimes.

As far as life goes, I got married a couple of years ago and have been practicing law for nearly 6 years, with my sights set on going to the bar in the future. I can honestly credit @Crazy Jamie for giving me my first window into the profession. I have a network of barristers now but he was the first I probably ever interacted with. Outside of work, I'm into fitness, sports, my veggie garden, and play Aussie rules football.

Life is good and beyond squeezing in time to fit in hobbies, I caught myself missing a place to anonymously/pseudonymously gasbag about random things with a 20 year old community. So, here I am. Hello again.

Last edited:

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Welcome home! :)

Congrats on your marriage, and it's great to see you followed those insights into law and turned them into a full-fledged career! That's fantastic!

I think it's interesting that after other social medias have gained ascendancy and ubiquity with the masses, people are going back to atomised, small communities on Discord etc. In my view, the itch that's scratched by an old style forum can't be replicated by Reddit at all, which is so ephemeral, impersonal and basic (and literally AI in some cases). Discord is great but its rolling chat nature makes it hard to keep up a correspondence on a particular topic sometimes.
I completely agree with you, Discord has its' uses, but proper back-and-forth discussions like you're offered on a forum is simply not one of them. Especially on the very active servers!

Life is good and beyond squeezing in time to fit in hobbies, I caught myself missing a place to anonymously/pseudonymously gasbag about random things with a 20 year old community. So, here I am. Hello again.
Perfect, that's how we capitalize! Fill a small void and slowly take more and more of your time away ;). Kidding, of course, glad to have you back with us, and hopefully our little remnants of the GW community repackaged in a hip new form will help to scratch that itch :)

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Welcome Home Yo GIF by Bombay Softwares

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Welcome back. I didn’t get a chance to reply last night because I got stoned and forgot, but I went ahead and added you to the elder group and verified your account last night so you can post freely. We had some “issues” in the past, so we had to tighten up registrations a little.

Although I have no clue who you are, because you registered and was active during a window when I wasn’t around, it’s good to see another person make their way back here for the same reasons that this place was resurrected… because modern social media sucks.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Welcome back. I didn’t get a chance to reply last night because I got stoned and forgot, but I went ahead and added you to the elder group and verified your account last night so you can post freely. We had some “issues” in the past, so we had to tighten up registrations a little.

Although I have no clue who you are, because you registered and was active during a window when I wasn’t around, it’s good to see another person make their way back here for the same reasons that this place was resurrected… because modern social media sucks.
Look at this over-achiever, eventually remembering to do shit. Just forget entirely and stop making the rest of us look bad.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Look at this over-achiever, eventually remembering to do shit. Just forget entirely and stop making the rest of us look bad.

Hey, I edited his account within 20-30 minutes of him posting this thread. It’s just the social aspect of actually remembering and replying that I’m terrible at.

Conscience

GW Elder
Hey, I edited his account within 20-30 minutes of him posting this thread. It’s just the social aspect of actually remembering and replying that I’m terrible at.
It was actually within 10 minutes I think! You were efficient.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Hey, welcome back! I agree with you completely that these boards offer something that's become increasingly scarce on the Internet over the past decade -- a real sense of community.
I don't know if it's the forum setting, or just the fact that we've all known (of) each other for 2 decades that just makes it feel more personal than all the reddit/X/discord shit.

But it does, so who really cares why?

Bob

Bob hic erat.
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! I remember you - good to see another familiar face.

Back
Top Bottom