Music Kendrick Lamar vs Drake

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I’ve never been a fan of the wheelchair kid from DeGrassi. I never thought he was ever gonna convince anyone of his street cred, and I’m surprised he has lasted in the industry this long without being chased into country or pop.

I’m gonna say it, and I don’t care who likes it.

He’s the black Machine Gun Kelly.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
The MGK comparison is honestly a bit too generous.

As a Canadian I'm probably supposed to like him but I never have. He drops a diss this morning but Kendrick had it ready and released his a whopping 20 minutes later. He absolutely buries Drake with Meet the Grahams.

Drake fucked up coming for Kendrick, wow.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
The MGK comparison is honestly a bit too generous.

As a Canadian I'm probably supposed to like him but I never have. He drops a diss this morning but Kendrick had it ready and released his a whopping 20 minutes later. He absolutely buries Drake with Meet the Grahams.

Drake fucked up coming for Kendrick, wow.

At least Drake owned the fact that he’s half-black, and didn’t run off to the tattoo parlor to black his body out like a certain someone did.

How that motherfucker thought he was gonna go bar for bar with Kendrick is beyond me… he’s easily one of the most talented lyricists to come out of that genre in quite some time.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Okay yeah fair callout on the MGK shit.

If this hidden daughter thing turns out to be true for Drake that'll be crazy, Kendrick definitely has people in the OVO camp with what he's dropping and literal pictures now too.

Agreed on Kendrick, these types never learn what happens when you try to go with some of the top lyricists.

If this chases Drake out, I will not be disappointed.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Okay yeah fair callout on the MGK shit.

If this hidden daughter thing turns out to be true for Drake that'll be crazy, Kendrick definitely has people in the OVO camp with what he's dropping and literal pictures now too.

Agreed on Kendrick, these types never learn what happens when you try to go with some of the top lyricists.

If this chases Drake out, I will not be disappointed.

I don’t even know why public personalities like him try so hard to keep shit like that buried. As if rap hasn’t had a baby daddy putting out records… if he was a real one, he’d pull a page from ODB’s book, but, that’ll never happen.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Yeah it always comes out - and especially rap game, just embrace that shit for who you are.

But this would require Aubrey to have an ounce of street cred which he ain't got a bit.

Should've given up on rap long ago.

Honestly, he should have never gotten into it. As much as he loves love, he would have fared better as an R&B artist… but he probably doesn’t have the range, much like his dilemma with acting. There are far more and vastly superior Canadian rappers out there floating around the underground, but… the underground rap scene has always been better than the mainstream shit.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Yeah... there's a lot of Canadian rappers nobody knows, there's even some great female ones that were shortlived.

Swollen Members, and by extension Madchild and Prevail’s solo shit. Merkules. Moka Only. Classified. Trouble. That’s just naming a few off of the top of my head.

Agreed on underground, mainstream shit especially in today's day and age is absolutely brutal.

Same goes for “rock” and “metal”… when Imagine Dragons dominate rock radio… there’s a problem.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Swollen Members, and by extension Madchild and Prevail’s solo shit. Merkules. Moka Only. Classified. Trouble. That’s just naming a few off of the top of my head.
Yeah see all this is the type of shit I listen to. I met Class when he came to Toronto and chilled with him, dude is super laid back and cool with his fans. Always trying to elevate the other Canadian artists too.

Swollen Members shoulda been bigger than they were.

Last edited:

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Another one.

The Simpsons GIF

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Yeah a friend of mine who lives in Toronto mentioned it to me this morning.

This probably isn't even directly tied to Kendrick, word has it that the hip hop community in Toronto has had it in for Drake for a while because of his fake support and lack of street cred.

Doubt anything huge will come of it.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Yeah a friend of mine who lives in Toronto mentioned it to me this morning.

This probably isn't even directly tied to Kendrick, word has it that the hip hop community in Toronto has had it in for Drake for a while because of his fake support and lack of street cred.

Doubt anything huge will come of it.

I immediately assumed it was a Stan looking for clout, honestly. That’s part of the issue with glorifying street life in art… art imitates life eventually.

• Agree
Reactions: TD

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
Take Care helped me get through college. i even saw drake live around that time (along with j. cole, 2 chainz, and meek mill). i along with many other people in my age group had 0 to 100 on repeat at one point. and several years ago i deleted all the drake music from my phone when i saw that he was trying to slide into millie bobby brown's DMs while she was still a minor and i was like Hmm I Dont Like This Dude Actually

rest of the world took a few years to catch up but hey at least it happened eventually

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
Yet, here I am wondering how much of it is a publicity stunt.
oh there's no stunt. drake's record label contacted kendrick to try to get him to squash the beef (and put out a statement stating that drake is not a pedophile LMAO) and kendrick was like absolutely not. apparently drake is starting to lose some endorsement money...hope he's left with nothing!

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
It sure didn’t take long for the race angle to be covered, though. Could have just kept it at him being a pedo, but…
Technically race came before the pedo angle when Kendrick called out Drake for using the n- word consistently and then Drake came back using it in the first line of the song and got personal about Kendrick first.

Then came everything else.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
oh there's no stunt. drake's record label contacted kendrick to try to get him to squash the beef (and put out a statement stating that drake is not a pedophile LMAO) and kendrick was like absolutely not. apparently drake is starting to lose some endorsement money...hope he's left with nothing!

Because, you know… normal 30-something dudes go after teenagers. It wasn’t just that one actress, either. Apparently there’s proof out there of him booking an entire restaurant to have dinner with a chick who was 16 at the time. It was not Chuck-E-Cheese’s.

Technically race came before the pedo angle when Kendrick called out Drake for using the n- word consistently and then Drake came back using it in the first line of the song and got personal about Kendrick first.

Then came everything else.

That’s a cheap shot, though, when there’s plenty of material out there to clown him. It’s common knowledge that even Hispanics and some white people get a pass on using it, Kendrick isn’t exactly the authority on a word that, for example, B-Real from Cypress Hill or Taboo from Black Eyed Peas have used for decades with not so much as an eyebrow raised.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
That’s a cheap shot, though, when there’s plenty of material out there to clown him. It’s common knowledge that even Hispanics and some white people get a pass on using it, Kendrick isn’t exactly the authority on a word that, for example, B-Real from Cypress Hill or Taboo from Black Eyed Peas have used for decades with not so much as an eyebrow raised.
Kendrick ain't sure, but the whole premise is that much of the OVO circle has grown tired of Drake and that was one of the sticking points for a lot of them - his use of that word as a Canadian with absolutely zero street cred who relies on ghostwriters.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Kendrick ain't sure, but the whole premise is that much of the OVO circle has grown tired of Drake and that was one of the sticking points for a lot of them - his use of that word as a Canadian with absolutely zero street cred who relies on ghostwriters.

Yeah, I didn’t factor in the whole Canadian thing… I guess there is a degree of a cultural difference, I just assumed that y’all inherited the whole culture and not just the musical side of it.

There are just too many nuances nowadays, honestly. Growing up, I was called that as much as I use “dude” or “man” by all kinds of people. The hard “r” is what made it racist, and even that was acceptable in certain contexts, like mocking a racist dude. I remember back when the “n-word pass” thing was just a joke black people used to signify to other black people that the individual that had the pass was cool. That was really the only way it was gate-kept by anyone, because if someone didn’t speak up on your behalf, you were getting an ass kicking.

Language, dude… it’s a wild thing, it can get you respect or killed with the exact same words.

• Agree
Reactions: TD

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Language, dude… it’s a wild thing, it can get you respect or killed with the exact same words.
Absolutely - and Drake is finding this out the hard way.
What a time to be alive.
And to think what really got this going was some ill-advised AI emulation of Pac & Snoop.

I feel like The Heart Part 6 could go under Kendrick, shit was bad and basically a confession.
:rofl

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Back
Top Bottom