• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Verdict If a dog wore pants, which way would it wear them?

How can you have pants that only cover half of your legs? Are they really around the waist if you need to add a chest strap to keep them on? That's more suspenders than pants.

I see a butt peeking out of most of Mark's examples, so you can't even use the "covers your butthole" justification.

I kinda feel like dog pants should be a combination of the two. I don't think I've ever seen an example of it though.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
While canine anatomy is different from human anatomy, it is still similar enough to draw comparisons.

1728864342374.png

Humans, the inventors of pants, wear pants around the waist and extending distally. As you can see from the image above, canine pants should only cover the hindquarters.

The kuteration rests.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
How can you have pants that only cover half of your legs? Are they really around the waist if you need to add a chest strap to keep them on? That's more suspenders than pants.

I see a butt peeking out of most of Mark's examples, so you can't even use the "covers your butthole" justification.

I kinda feel like dog pants should be a combination of the two. I don't think I've ever seen an example of it though.

I’m sorry, this is a court of law and I don’t see you providing any better examples to back up either side of the argument. Excuse me for my lazy selection of the first few results from Google.

While canine anatomy is different from human anatomy, it is still similar enough to draw comparisons.

View attachment 21754

Humans, the inventors of pants, wear pants around the waist and extending distally. As you can see from the image above, canine pants should only cover the hindquarters.

The kuteration rests.

THIS is the kind of contribution we need, @Kat. This is serious business.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Serious Real Life GIF by Britannia
Serious Business GIF by TahKole Bio Integration

View attachment 21754

The kuteration rests.
At most, this is just an argument for two pairs of pants since they have two pairs of legs. They are still quadruped at the end of the day, so the bipedalism argument doesn't apply.

Hmm. Is the defining characteristics of pants that you wear them around the waist, or that they cover your legs?

I’m sorry, this is a court of law and I don’t see you providing any better examples to back up either side of the argument. Excuse me for my lazy selection of the first few results from Google.

Would dog pants look like this?
1000008265.jpg

1000008266.jpg

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
At most, this is just an argument for two pairs of pants since they have two pairs of legs. They are still quadruped at the end of the day, so the bipedalism argument doesn't apply.
I did not make a bipedalism argument. They need to start at the waist and extend distally. Canines only have one waist
Hmm. Is the defining characteristics of pants that you wear them around the waist, or that they cover your legs?

Would dog pants look like this?
View attachment 21755

View attachment 21756
there are many styles of pants, but the one thing all of those have in common is that they have a waist component. If anything, these are closer to examples of canine rompers

I did not make a bipedalism argument. They need to start at the waist and extend distally. Canines only have one waist

there are many styles of pants, but the one thing all of those have in common is that they have a waist component. If anything, these are closer to examples of canine rompers
Skirts and shorts also go around the waist, but they aren't pants. So clearly fully encapsulating the legs is key for something to be pants.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I don't know if they have only one waist but they do have two sets of LEGS.
The front limbs are analogous to arms. Both in terms of bone structure and function. When digging, they use their front limbs, when trying to manipulate or move an object they use their front limbs, when fighting they attack with their front limbs. Just because the front limbs are also used for ambulation, does not make them the equivalent of legs.

~Case closed~

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
It's too late to volunteer to be the judge. You have to let the judicial process play out or else I'll get the bailiff to lift you up by the back of your underwear and kick you out the door with his oversized shoe and dust his hands off like a cartoon character.
Did you not notice the ~ and bold? That means it was an official action

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
If the dog on the left ran, the pants would fall down and it would be very embarrassed in front of its canine companions. So, right is the only correct answer. Like kut said, the front legs can be considered more like arms. That's why picrel looks more natural:

taupe-cable-knit-dog-sweater-paikka-paco-and-lucia.jpg

The real question should be: If a female dog went to the beach, what would its bikini top look like? Would it be 8 (?) (I don't know how many nipples a dog has) separate tops, or would it be 8 cups connected by a common piece of fabric?

Your waist doesn't shrink and grow drastically with every single step you take, unlike what would happen with left pic
Don't see how the reason for suspenders is even relevant.

"Can be considered more like arms" that's a stretch, bud. They don't have arms. They have four legs. Like by their very definition.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
What? You brought it up.

Can be considered more like arms" that's a stretch, bud. They don't have arms. They have four legs. Like by their very definition
They have hind legs and front legs which are anatomically different. If you shake a dog's hand, they give you their front paw. If you go to shake a person's hand, they would never give you their foot. Ergo, more arm-like.

They have hind legs and front legs which are anatomically different. If you shake a dog's hand, they give you their front paw. If you go to shake a person's hand, they would never give you their foot. Ergo, more arm-like.
Fair point. It's a gray area, which I guess is why there's an argument about it in the first place.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
The REASON for suspenders is what might not be relevant. Suspenders themselves are relevant because it's a counterpoint to your argument of the pants falling down.
It would be like those clowns wearing suspenders with pants that are WAY too big. Pants that flip-flop between being taut and extremely saggy on either side, only being held up by suspenders, would be uncomfortable and hard to walk in

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder

"Can be considered more like arms" that's a stretch, bud. They don't have arms. They have four legs. Like by their very definition.
They have 4 limbs not 4 legs

This is some easy light reading to help explain

Jawneh

The Courier
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
What about apes then? Chimps are a good focal point.

They walk on both 2s and 4s, though mainly 4s. They use all 4 as "hands" to climb, do their things, although mainly their upper 2s. Humans are the only ape and even monkey who has a distinct "foot" instead of a more hand type with agile toe-fingers.

What does that have to do with anything?

Would you put a chimp in a same weird tracksuit as the dog that covers all four its limbs or just the back half?

I would ignore all of the above and actually consider the following:

If we were to agree the LEFT option is the correct way for dogs to wear pants, how would they then wear sweaters?

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
Well i googled pants for dogs for a definitive answer and now I really wish I hadn't and I am going to share this new store update from the website pantsfordogs.com because I cannot be the only one suffering this fate

1000014268.png

I take back what I said previously. The owner of this website it who should be in jail

Okay… but we are not trying to define what pants are, but merely determine in which orientation they are to be worn.
I disagree. This is really a question of "what defines pants?" Can an article of clothing be considered pants if it only touches half of your legs? Can something be called pants if it isn't held up by the waist? Does it have to cover the naughty bits?

Pants are designed to cover lower extremities and genitalia. Therefore, dogs would wear them only over their hind legs.
Their front legs aren't lower extremities?

If the dog on the left ran, the pants would fall down and it would be very embarrassed in front of its canine companions. So, right is the only correct answer.
Now I have to admit to being lazy and grabbing the first image that popped up on Google. This case wasn't meant to be strictly "choose between these two exact things" but rather "how would a dog wear pants? Here are two possible options". I agree the left side is not a good example for the reason you said. You'd need something like the pictures I posted to hold them up.

If we were to agree the LEFT option is the correct way for dogs to wear pants, how would they then wear sweaters?
Dogs have no arms, so I'd expect a doggie sweater to only cover the body. Like Kelly's example, but without the arms and the head hole would go where the dog's head is. Covering the butt would be optional, like human sweaters.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Back
Top Bottom