Microsoft I Own a Functional Original Xbox AMA

I started diving through my stuff to play some PS1 games and then decided to see if one of my two Xboxs still work. The older one probably doesn't as I tried opening it up a long time ago and just ended up buying a replacement. The second one doesn't seem to be effected by the clock conductor meltdown. So I get to play Xbox games. So, ask me some dumb questions or whatever.

Drake of the 99 Dragons is a fucking masterpiece.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Nice, I've got three atm, love 'em, including my original launch day Xbox. So much fun. I turned one into an XBMC box, too, which was fun. Had to do the Thompson drive swap on my launch box, though.

Lunar Kreskents

noping in a corner near you
GW Elder
Possibly, but I don't want to find out. Working Xbox's can't be cheap anymore.
but Blendtec called and they need to know..... for science
will it blend that smile GIF by Digg

Duke... or Duke?

Possibly, but I don't want to find out. Working Xbox's can't be cheap anymore.
Your YouTube game is weak! Buy Dumpster dive for some busted ass thing Goodwill threw out, blend that. :tease

Value-wise, I could see a functioning console with DLC being worth some cash for collectors/masochists. But between emulation and Xbone/Series backwards compatibility, I wonder how much nostalgia there actually is for OG Xbox hardware? I can't really think of any multiplatform games that were better on Xbox versus PS2/GCN; if they looked better they had super awful load times (Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex), or they had subpar/issues with controls (Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance). 🤔

Duke... or Duke?
Funnily enough, I purposely bought a Duke a few years back. I wanted to use that fat bitch. Used it for the first time yesterday. Kinda like it. The biggest issue is the location of the White and Black butttons.
Value-wise, I could see a functioning console with DLC being worth some cash for collectors/masochists.
I have the Halo 2 map pack... on disk.

Funnily enough, I purposely bought a Duke a few years back. I wanted to use that fat bitch. Used it for the first time yesterday. Kinda like it. The biggest issue is the location of the White and Black butttons.
Sort of the opposite here; I had 2 Dukes from near-ish launch, and always played with one. My hands aren't super large and I could never quite find a good, comfortable position, but I managed. Bought one of the smaller controllers probably... late 2004? Never actually bothered to use it for anything. :chuckle

I think, at least for the launch batch, in addition to the white and black buttons being in an awkward position one of them - the black one, maybe? - was also just not well positioned and was harder to push down/in. I remember getting fairly irritated with it in games like Dead or Alive 3, but thankfully there aren't too many games I played where they were used much/at all.

I have the Halo 2 map pack... on disk.
Hah, same!

Drake of the 99 Dragons is a fucking masterpiece
Is this legit, or are you shitposting? It has really shitty reviews, but then again, a lot of GREAT games from that period were panned for reviewers for being too "video game-y" in an era where video games and gamers were striving to be seen as more "mature" (Custom Robo comes to mind, and GoW was suuuper overrated).

Is this legit, or are you shitposting? It has really shitty reviews, but then again, a lot of GREAT games from that period were panned for reviewers for being too "video game-y" in an era where video games and gamers were striving to be seen as more "mature" (Custom Robo comes to mind, and GoW was suuuper overrated).
No, the game is legit pure trash.

I could never play the OGXbox because my hands were way too small. I could kind of use an S controller, but it didn't matter because by that time I had gotten a 360 in 2006. I used an S controller to play through Halo 1 & 2 at a friend's house, though.

What are you playin?
So, I tried Sega GT 2002 and realized why I didn't like it. Having winnings be lost because damage to my vehicle just doesn't seem fun for me. Also, there is apparently only eight tracks in total, so I'd end up running into a major problem I had with Gran Turismo 3: Being bored of racing the same tracks over and over again.

I did also pop in Drake of the 99 Dragon's for some shits and giggles.

I've got a lot of games that I haven't played in a long time or never really gave much effort, like Crimson Skies, Forza 2 (apparently, I trade in PGR a long time ago), DnD Heroes, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, among others.

Back
Top Bottom