Other I Can See Again!

I'm not sure this is the intended usage of this subforum, but thought I'd share some good news with the group.

On Friday, I had LASIK done. I'm still recovering, but I don't need glasses anymore (for now, at least). 10/10, would recommend.

I probably won't start gaming again until next week, but I'm very happy nonetheless.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm not sure this is the intended usage of this subforum, but thought I'd share some good news with the group.

On Friday, I had LASIK done. I'm still recovering, but I don't need glasses anymore (for now, at least). 10/10, would recommend.

I probably won't start gaming again until next week, but I'm very happy nonetheless.

That’s awesome, dude. I’m happy for you. Was it a one and done thing? A session for each eye so you still had one to work with? I’m blind as a bat and petrified of the thought of lasers in my eyes because I’m a big baby, but I certainly remember that feeling when I went from glasses to contacts and it’s life-changing having perfect vision WITH peripheral vision and accurate depth perception since you’re not looking through glasses.

That’s awesome, dude. I’m happy for you. Was it a one and done thing? A session for each eye so you still had one to work with? I’m blind as a bat and petrified of the thought of lasers in my eyes because I’m a big baby, but I certainly remember that feeling when I went from glasses to contacts and it’s life-changing having perfect vision WITH peripheral vision and accurate depth perception since you’re not looking through glasses.
This was the entire process from start to finish:

-1 in-person consultation where they do some tests on your eyes (the same ones they do at the optometrist). This is to determine if you're able to have any form of laser eye surgery (there are others beyond LASIK)
-1 virtual consultation where they will tell you more about the procedure.
-The appointment itself was about 2 hours long. The first hour was them doing more tests/measurements (to make sure they measured you correctly the first time). They also spoke about what you can/can't do, the eyedrops you need to put it after, and the recovery period
-Next, they give you valium. I am not a drug user (or even a drinker), so I had no idea what this would do to me. To be honest, it had 0 effect on me. After about 15-20 minutes, the doctor performing the surgery came in and looked at my eyes and asked how I was feeling. I said I was nervous, so he gave me another half tablet of valium - it still didn't make me feel any different, although I noticed my movements were more lethargic. Maybe it prevented me from getting more freaked out, but it certainly didn't make me as happy as he suggested it would.
-Eventually, they brought me near the rooms where the procedure is done. I would have paid here if I didn't pay in advance, and they also booked my follow-up appointment. Then I waited and watched someone else get the procedure done (but I couldn't see anything).
-Finally, it was my turn and they took me to one room where they apply a freezing eye drop to you. They use these suction cups on your eyes, but you can't really see what's going on. There's a lot of pressure on the eye, and then they move onto the other eye. For whatever reason, my left eye was more challenging than my right, but they started with my right eye. This whole process took under 5 minutes.
-They transferred me to another room, where I waited about 5 minutes for the doctor to come back (there were 2 assistants with me the entire time). I'll spare you the gory details, but this is where they essentially create your current prescription. They told me that this step would be easier than the first, but I found this one harder. The problem is keeping your eye open. It's not painful, but it's certainly uncomfortable.
-When they're done, they have you sit in a dimly-lit room for about 10 minutes, then they check your eyes quickly, and then you're good to go.

The appointment probably could have been shorter than 2 hours, but they took me slightly late, and there were several steps that involved waiting. The two parts of the procedure probably take about 10 minutes total.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
This was the entire process from start to finish:

-1 in-person consultation where they do some tests on your eyes (the same ones they do at the optometrist). This is to determine if you're able to have any form of laser eye surgery (there are others beyond LASIK)
-1 virtual consultation where they will tell you more about the procedure.
-The appointment itself was about 2 hours long. The first hour was them doing more tests/measurements (to make sure they measured you correctly the first time). They also spoke about what you can/can't do, the eyedrops you need to put it after, and the recovery period
-Next, they give you valium. I am not a drug user (or even a drinker), so I had no idea what this would do to me. To be honest, it had 0 effect on me. After about 15-20 minutes, the doctor performing the surgery came in and looked at my eyes and asked how I was feeling. I said I was nervous, so he gave me another half tablet of valium - it still didn't make me feel any different, although I noticed my movements were more lethargic. Maybe it prevented me from getting more freaked out, but it certainly didn't make me as happy as he suggested it would.
-Eventually, they brought me near the rooms where the procedure is done. I would have paid here if I didn't pay in advance, and they also booked my follow-up appointment. Then I waited and watched someone else get the procedure done (but I couldn't see anything).
-Finally, it was my turn and they took me to one room where they apply a freezing eye drop to you. They use these suction cups on your eyes, but you can't really see what's going on. There's a lot of pressure on the eye, and then they move onto the other eye. For whatever reason, my left eye was more challenging than my right, but they started with my right eye. This whole process took under 5 minutes.
-They transferred me to another room, where I waited about 5 minutes for the doctor to come back (there were 2 assistants with me the entire time). I'll spare you the gory details, but this is where they essentially create your current prescription. They told me that this step would be easier than the first, but I found this one harder. The problem is keeping your eye open. It's not painful, but it's certainly uncomfortable.
-When they're done, they have you sit in a dimly-lit room for about 10 minutes, then they check your eyes quickly, and then you're good to go.

The appointment probably could have been shorter than 2 hours, but they took me slightly late, and there were several steps that involved waiting. The two parts of the procedure probably take about 10 minutes total.

I appreciate the summary, dude. I’ve always wondered how those procedures actually go, and I’m not the type to Google anything down those lines. I wouldn’t consider myself one of those WebMD nut jobs that leaves every search with the worst possible self-diagnosis, but I don’t like leaving the accuracy of the information up to chance or skewed opinions from paid testimonials or anything like that.

To the best of my knowledge, Valium is just supposed to calm you down and mellow you out for those types of procedures. @shortkut would know better than me, but I’ve only seen people recreationally take those or be prescribed them as “mood stabilizers” to help someone come down from an agitated or anxious state. You may just have an above average tolerance to those types of drugs… some people just take more to sedate, like natural redheads.

How long would you say it took between when you got the procedure done and when your vision was where it should be?

I appreciate the summary, dude. I’ve always wondered how those procedures actually go, and I’m not the type to Google anything down those lines. I wouldn’t consider myself one of those WebMD nut jobs that leaves every search with the worst possible self-diagnosis, but I don’t like leaving the accuracy of the information up to chance or skewed opinions from paid testimonials or anything like that.
I’m with you. I tried my best to avoid Reddit beyond looking up the best clinics in my city to do it. There’s always someone with a horror story. Strangely, literally every single comment I saw called it the best decision they’ve ever made in their lives. I wouldn’t go that far… yet. But I’m very happy with it.

How long would you say it took between when you got the procedure done and when your vision was where it should be?

My vision worked immediately. Like when I opened my eyes from those 10 minutes in the dark room, I could see down the hallway. The recovery process has been tricky. No pain, but definitely discomfort at times for various reasons. It just gets boring and you have to assess your own tolerance for looking at screens or otherwise using your eyes.

I’m better now than I’ve been at any point since Friday but still have some ways to go.

Time to dust off Guitar Hero and fire it up, give them eyes something to look at!

You ever play so much guitar hero that the walls start moving? In hindsight, there’s no way that game was ever good for the eyes.

It’s not supposed to make you happy. It’s an anti anxiety medication, for short-term relief, and when used before a procedure. The making you lethargic and not anxious was what it should do

Ah, my bad. The doctor called it a happy pill but maybe that was just to keep me calm.

Congrats, Spiner!

Having no knowledge of your particular situation, what made you want to take this step?
The thought popped into my head a few years ago but I never took it seriously because I was nervous that the procedure would be really painful.

Then a few months ago, I got curious one night and started googling about it, and everyone I spoke to knew someone who had laser surgery (not necessarily this procedure) and said it wasn’t that bad.

I never hated wearing glasses, but the more I thought about it, the better of an idea it seemed like. They told me at the consultation that everyone needs reading glasses eventually and this procedure can’t correct that, so I figured that it’s better to get it done asap and enjoy the maximum time period with good vision.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
"Crystal Clear Balls"
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Back
Top Bottom