Hyped up players that didn't really work out

rktaker

I was thinking about all the times sports media have hyped some athlete up only for them to not quite live up to expectations. it happens in all sports one that immediately comes to mind for me is Lastings Milledge for the Mets. This guy was extremely hyped up as the next great Mets player but he never lived up to expectations and played for the Mets for only two seasons

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder

homer simpson pain GIF

The Greg Oden one was just sad. His body was. so broken at such a young age. It wasn't like he sucked, he just couldn't physically do it. Set the franchise back alone.

In retrospect, Kevin Durant being the consolation prize is crazy.

More recently Markell Fultz first overall, the 76ers traded up, swapping picks with the Celtics so they could get him and letting Jayson Tatum go to the Celtics. That one's funny because the team did it to itself.

The Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf one was fun, too since not only was Leaf a bust, but a jerk!

Agree with Tom about Greg Oden, just flat out sad. The video of him being back at college and being asked by an old lady if he plays basketball is so sad.

But I kinda feel the same about Markelle? Obviously different but... I feel sad for him too. Happy too that he's bouncing back so well nowadays.

I only really know bball but it's funny... A lot of "busts" weren't necessarily great players, but just had what looked like a lot of potential. Freaky Friday me James Wiseman, I'll make an NBA player out of him.

Back
Top Bottom