How often do you play your retro games?

Crazy Jamie

GW Elder
Are you one of those people who never actually gets round to playing them? Or if you do, how regularly compared to playing modern games?

Since we've had kids I've had very little time for gaming in general. A few years ago I started making more time for it, but I decided at that point to get a proper gaming rig (because, you know, I'm an adult with money now, so who cares about how much value I get out of it?) so have been prioritising more modern games. I then got a Steam Deck and have gotten plenty of use out of that, again with modern games. So I haven't played any retro games much at all recently. I introduced by daughter to the SNES Mini, but she hated the fact she could die so easily (and, in fairness, I understand that). So the retro games have taken a back seat for me really. Don't really play them at all at the moment.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I just don't have much time for gaming at all. If I had the money I'd grab a steam deck, it seems perfect for my needs, but that's a long time away. My retro stuff is sitting in boxes or on shelves, and I hate that because it's so unloved. I wouldn't mind firing up my Saturn, for instance, I love it, but I just don't have the time for games. Caring for a 77 year old toddler... fun:)

Depends on how we're defining it, I suppose. Like if we mean actually busting out the original platform and the original cartridges/CDs? That would be a hard no. Last time I had a CRT was like 2007/2008, and haven't had anything besides a PS2 hooked up to an HDTV literally ever. Last time I hooked up the PS2 (to play a PS1 game, FF9) was probably 2011-ish, right before I started getting into Xbox achievements.

The games themselves though, that's a different matter - and super murky depending on whether or not compilations/remasters "count." Like I just went through The Cowabunga Collection, playing and loving games like Turtles in Time all over again. I played the Mega Man X Legacy Collection a couple years ago. Pretty lackluster ports, especially MMX1, but... yeah. Is 20 years old enough to qualify as retro? 'Cause Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts would apply then. And make me feel incredibly, incredibly old. :chuckle

I was going to pick up the Nintendo Mini and such - another case of "does this count?" lol - just to have them, but ultimately decided against it with supply constraints and scalpers and shit.

OP
Crazy Jamie

Crazy Jamie

GW Elder
It's 2023. I think anything pre 2010 is probably retro at this point ;)

And yeah, when I do dip into retro it isn't to play the original consoles. I have the Cowabunga collection on my radar as well, and I did just pick up the Mega Man Legacy Collection on Steam as part of a bundle.

I refuse to acknowledge a reality where most PS360 games are retro. Refuse. I can barely even imagine adults being younger than Pokemon. 😂

Intentionally skirting around the topic of emulation, too. But basically all of my future handheld gaming will probably end up being done through that, if it's going to realistically get done at all.

turkey

gobble gobble
GW Elder
With the Switch Online I play more than I would. If I have a little time I’ll fire up an old Mario of Sonic. And I have a 3x speed FF7 run in progress that I’ll jump on too.

Tirith

Sad, lumpy oatmeal that used to be Xellos
GW Elder
Steam deck with the Emudeck installed is the MAIN way I play retro games. I have the dock hooked to the living room tv (70" 4k monster) and an xbox controller to play the games on it.

Besides that, the NES, SNES, 64, PS2, etc are all packed away for safe keeping

poj

Dare Mighty Things
GW Elder
Until reasonably recently my youngest would hook up the PS2 in his room to play Crash Team Racing when he was home.

An Xbox made its way into the house last Christmas and someone put the Crash trilogy on it so I had a little play but got frustrated that I wasn't as good as I used to be!

Still love the music on "Upstream" from Crash I though 😁

aiat_gamer

GW Elder
I count it
Then yes, I regularly play retro games specifically the consoles I never had. I got to play many many gba games that were tons of fun. Lately I got into 3ds games, Super mario bros rpg series are excellent, shame the company went under.

turkey

gobble gobble
GW Elder
Then yes, I regularly play retro games specifically the consoles I never had. I got to play many many gba games that were tons of fun. Lately I got into 3ds games, Super mario bros rpg series are excellent, shame the company went under.
There’s a new super Mario rpg coming out! I don’t remember when or any details

I game a lot to this day but it's usually newish stuff I haven't played before.

Replaying a small selection of games was necessary when I was young because I couldn't afford to buy continual new ones. That limiting factor is gone these days. PS Plus gives me an excellent new game to play often enough that I can't keep up.

So much stuff to do in RL and always so many new games I haven't played that it feels like a waste to replay a game unless I really love it or its been a looong time. Especially since modern remasters usually appear eventually for truly classic games.

On a brighter retro note, I set up my gamecube in the loft and played through Wind Waker and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. 😄 Also bought a 3DS and have enjoyed it more than I expected, lots of good games on it to try.

X360 is still in boxes since my last move, would sell the games if they had any value. Sold older consoles like Megadrive, NES, GBA, Dreamcast when I knew I was only likely to touch them once every 10 years for brief nostalgia runs.

Op19

GW Elder
If I'm playing retro games its usually via emulator. I started to play Dragon Force on Sega Saturn recently but I had a save mishap and scrapped it and sometime in the last couple years I played Super Castlevania IV for the first time, which was really good actually. I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid with a friend to introduce her to the series and we're currently on MGS2, though thats thru the PC port released a couple years ago. We'll be doing MGS3 soon too. Though that also depends on what you consider retro lol

Absolutely -- any time I buy a new (old) game, I play it. I just finished REmake a few weeks ago, and last Christmas I played every Virtual Boy game, including Bound High, which was never officially released, but got leaked online and was made into working cartridges by the mod community. I still have a lot left that I plan on getting to one day -- I feel like I buy more than I'm able to keep up with sometimes.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Absolutely -- any time I buy a new (old) game, I play it. I just finished REmake a few weeks ago, and last Christmas I played every Virtual Boy game, including Bound High, which was never officially released, but got leaked online and was made into working cartridges by the mod community.
I love that the modding community does things like this. So many rom hacks, unreleased games or even digital games released as physical media. It's fantastic!
I still have a lot left that I plan on getting to one day -- I feel like I buy more than I'm able to keep up with sometimes.
The curse of collecting :D

apocalypsepony

I have an she's emulator for my phone and still play most old Koei games to death... Trying to find people that still play games like uncharted waters 1&2 or other Koei or strategy/rpg games to maybe challenge each other to find a new way to enjoy old games.

Back
Top Bottom