Sony Help me prioritize my backlog

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
So recently I've managed to finally kinda start getting back into some gaming after a pretty sizeable lull.

However, after looking at the folders on my PS5, I've realized I have close to 130 games I'm interested in.

I'm narrowing it down to 10 and I'm interested in input based on this list if there's any you think I should move higher or lower.

Some are purchased, some are catalog. Worth noting games can disappear from the catalog so I may never get to them.

That said.

Currently playing: Dragon's Dogma 2

The backlog:
1) NieR Automata
2) Midnight Suns
3) Tales of Arise
4) Secret of Mana
5) Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
6) Fallout 4
7) Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
8) Nioh
9) 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
10) Mass Effect Trilogy

Last edited:

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I think Kelly is on it, start with ME1, then toss something else in between.

If you're a big Marvel nerd you can't go wrong with Midnight Suns. If you're a more casual or just an MCU fan, it's still a good game but it doesn't jump to S tier.

Most people who play it seem to agree that Nier Automata is something special but you have to dedicate quite a chunk of time before it hits that level. Before that point it's still a solid little action RPG with some surprising gameplay twists.

Fallout 4 is Fallout and it's hard to go wrong there in my book.

• Cheers!
Reactions: TD

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Tiny Tina is a wonderful goofy time.

Secret of Mana is just a classic all around.

NieR, just like I saw Vash post, is a very good time, but is pretty darn long. You can "beat the game" in an okay amount of time, but to get the most out of it, there are 20 something endings in the game both with minor and major developments.

Last edited:

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
If you're a big Marvel nerd you can't go wrong with Midnight Suns. If you're a more casual or just an MCU fan, it's still a good game but it doesn't jump to S tier.
So one of the things that really draw me to this game as well is the unique combination of a tactical rpg and the card system.

Would you say that part of it is particularly well done?
Most people who play it seem to agree that Nier Automata is something special but you have to dedicate quite a chunk of time before it hits that level. Before that point it's still a solid little action RPG with some surprising gameplay twists.

NieR, just like I saw Vash post, is a very good time, but is pretty darn long. You can "beat the game" in an okay amount of time, but to get the most out of it, there are 20 something endings in the game both with minor and major developments.
Automata has been on my radar for years and I finally caved and bought it this week when it was 70% off. I've heard about the crazy amount of endings. Good to know it's a slow burn game though.
Tiny Tina is a wonderful gppfy time.

I absolutely adored Tiny Tina and it has one of my favorite comedic moments in gaming history.
I typically play Borderlands games co-op, how does Tiny Tina check out for single player?

It's heavily tied to D&D I think, right?

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
So one of the things that really draw me to this game as well is the unique combination of a tactical rpg and the card system.

Would you say that part of it is particularly well done?

When the game was first announced as being by the XCOM team I was very excited. Then all the news of it being a card based tactics game came out and I softened my stance and went in just hoping for it to be at least somewhat fun.

After playing it, as much as I want a sequel, I would be on board for any other license they want to attach to that combat system. I had an absolute ball.

I typically play Borderlands games co-op, how does Tiny Tina check out for single player?

It's heavily tied to D&D I think, right?

Single player was a lot better than multi-player. Not perfect by any stretch, but playable and fun.

Most of the humor is derived from making fun of D&D tropes and such.

• Cheers!
(2) I usually like to start with shorter games because it cuts down the list a bit faster.
I get that feeling too. I keep buying short games but never get around to them because I've been going from one long game to the next. It feels great though when a few long ones are out of the way and you can knock a few short ones out real quick

• Cheers!

Andy

Northern Lights
GW Elder
Also Fallout 4 was my least favourite of the more recent ones (3 and NV) but still good fun. Always enjoy those games and looking forward to when progress on a new one finally kicks off.

Nier was odd but appreciate a different setting than the usual crazy fantasy world that RPGs tend to operate in. I did only complete one play through, though, and read about the others.

• Cheers!

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Oh man I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Tunic
So I put Mass Effect down for a while and hopped into Tunic for a couple hours.

The first thing that immediately caught my attention was the music and general sound design, followed shortly by the atmosphere.

Very. Very enjoyable game to play and I think fits what I want right now. The combat is simple, but also - satisfying.

I'll give more detailed thoughts when I beat it, but I'll definitely go the distance with this one

Oh the things not being English and needing to find the manual is kinda confusing, not sure how I feel about that part.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
So I've put in another 3 hours... Tunic is... great.

But...
The combat is simple, but also - satisfying.
...oh. Oh. Does this ever ramp up.

Wtf Siege Engine??
Oh the things not being English and needing to find the manual is kinda confusing, not sure how I feel about that part.
...so early on I didn't get it... but now I kind of seem to have an idea where this part is going. It's very, very unique the way they do this... and I'm very into it.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
🛎️ dong ding
hello @TD i demand a tunic update
Okay... sooooo.
I may have binged it like crazy and beat it. I'm going to be doing some post-game stuff and cleanup. Took me 10h.

Apparently there's a wackload of Secret Treasures and I only found 1? So I definitely have some exploring to do there, and I need to get the rest of the manual among other things. I'll be aiming for the Platinum on this, even if I need a second playthrough.

So with that - this game is a rock solid 10/10. It's got everything I'm looking for in a game. Amazing atmosphere, challenging combat (more on this in a moment), awesome exploration, confusing puzzles, a meaningful story told without the use of cutscenes and excessive dialogue, and an emphasis on gameplay... I need more of this type of game.

The boss I mentioned earlier was the hardest boss for me for a while but that was while I got used to mechanics and how the combat flow.

That said - the hardest and most insane boss by far for me was the final boss. The first phase wasn't that bad, but that second phase? Damn did it catch me off guard in the best way possible, especially cause it was epic.

But the in between, the level design and mob placement, along with the variety of monsters? It reminds of Souls games in that, that was the more challenging part of the game for me.

As far as indy games that came out of nowhere but are exceptional - this is up there with the likes of Hollow Knight for me.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
It sounds like you opened the Golden Door, right? How long did it take you to solve that puzzle?
Is that the giant door on top of the snowy mountain? If so, I haven't yet. That's one of the things I'll be figuring out in postgame (or a new playthrough). Right now I have absolutely no clue but I'm assuming it'll require some kind of button input or something, just like the small purple-ish doors.

So recently I've managed to finally kinda start getting back into some gaming after a pretty sizeable lull.

However, after looking at the folders on my PS5, I've realized I have close to 130 games I'm interested in.

I'm narrowing it down to 10 and I'm interested in input based on this list if there's any you think I should move higher or lower.

Some are purchased, some are catalog. Worth noting games can disappear from the catalog so I may never get to them.

That said.

Currently playing: Dragon's Dogma 2

The backlog:
1) NieR Automata
2) Midnight Suns
3) Tales of Arise
4) Secret of Mana
5) Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
6) Fallout 4
7) Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
8) Nioh
9) 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
10) Mass Effect Trilogy

Mass Effect and it isn't even close

NieR Automata is good, be sure you're played Replicant first IMO

After that Im indifferent. Secret of Mana was good for the time, but dont think it holds up that well, at least in terms of story. Fallout 4 really disappointed me from the role playing perspective. Odin Sphere I liked but was really disappointed when I became a new character and had to grind for new pouches to expand my limited inventory

• Hmm
Back
Top Bottom