hail satan

vinney >:D

GW Elder
who was this again? was this the airhead guy that cafm got laid at the anime con? or is this the mythical schteve i've only heard mentioned in hushed but hallowed tones? why do i keep thinking of a fat leopard...or was it a cheetah...
that sounds awful. how about uh... this thing instead, to tide you over?

WNO0uof.jpeg

GW Elder
Did the Website Faux Pas of What Not to do With Your Website ever get released? :al
it was just before the era where everyone collectively decided to stop making websites and just congregate on the worst social media platforms on the planet instead, so nah, i don't think so

GW Elder
i wouldn't even say they don't have their place in internet culture, they just have this tendency to be run by the absolute worst fucking people out there

GW Elder
oh hey i know you

cool, what's your favorite country you zoomed to?
aw hell yeah, wuddup kelly. we've been enjoying our city breaks since stuff opened back up after covid.

my partner's finnish so i dunno if it's fair to say finland 'cos it's too easy. we had this romantic dream of retiring to tampere for the chill city life in our old age, but brexit fucked that opportunity cleanly out of our reach.

copenhagen was super chill but god DAMN that place is expensive. i don't think dublin got a fair run 'cos we landed there a couple of days after the riots last year and the place was absolutely swarming with cops on edge.

we're planning on hitting japan in the autumn, so we'll see if that topples the contenders. had three different groups of friends head over there in the last six months so we've had no shortage of holiday envy.

how about you? i haven't checked facebook in ages but i seem to recall you zooming across the world as soon as you got away from home.

(question's open to everyone btw, travel is fun as fuck even if i'm still a soft little sausage who likes his own bed)

i don't think dublin got a fair run 'cos we landed there a couple of days after the riots last year and the place was absolutely swarming with cops on edge.
Dublin was fun but I went there in my early 20s so most of my experience was getting drunk as shit and chatting up some Irish lasses. So I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much now, but I will say that the music was incredibutts everywhere I went. Even if there were like 3 people in a bar, one of those people would be a guy with a guitar who's like "hey I'm from Slovakia, just me and my guitar trying to make my way in the world anyway here's the most beautiful song you've ever heard"
my partner's finnish so i dunno if it's fair to say finland 'cos it's too easy. we had this romantic dream of retiring to tampere for the chill city life in our old age, but brexit fucked that opportunity cleanly out of our reach.
Just looked it up, but Tampere looks like a clone of Halifax so I like it already
we're planning on hitting japan in the autumn, so we'll see if that topples the contenders. had three different groups of friends head over there in the last six months so we've had no shortage of holiday envy.
I just got back from Japan recently. Fuckin love that country. It's my #1. Tons of tourists there this year though -- I think 4x the average.

If I have one piece of advice that you prob haven't already heard, it's to stay at Hotel BaliAn Shinjuku Honten when you're in Tokyo. Yes it's a "love hotel" but really it's beautiful, spacious, clean, great location, cheap, and they throw in a bunch of freebies like as much wine as you can drink, and you can take as many facial masks, sponges, tongue scrapers, eyebrow pluckers -- fucking everything you can think of -- as you like. My wife is picky when it comes to accommodation and she said it was the one of the nicest places she'd ever stayed.

GW Elder
yeah, that's why we dodged it this spring. the tourism's usually bad there during sakura season but it's magnified fourfold with the restrictions finally dropping. not sure if it'll be much quieter in autumn but if we wait any longer we'll grow old and turn to dust, so we're committing to it.

Dublin was fun but I went there in my early 20s so most of my experience was getting drunk as shit and chatting up some Irish lasses. So I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much now, but I will say that the music was incredibutts everywhere I went. Even if there were like 3 people in a bar, one of those people would be a guy with a guitar who's like "hey I'm from Slovakia, just me and my guitar trying to make my way in the world anyway here's the most beautiful song you've ever heard"
neither of us really drink (and we're certainly not in our early 20s) but it's not hard to imagine that being a blast. nah, instead we found some nice parks to walk around and spent way too long in the archaeology museum looking at cool artifacts and preserved bog men, then lit up the local coffee shops.

I just got back from Japan recently. Fuckin love that country. It's my #1. Tons of tourists there this year though -- I think 4x the average.

If I have one piece of advice that you prob haven't already heard, it's to stay at Hotel BaliAn Shinjuku Honten when you're in Tokyo. Yes it's a "love hotel" but really it's beautiful, spacious, clean, great location, cheap, and they throw in a bunch of freebies like as much wine as you can drink, and you can take as many facial masks, sponges, tongue scrapers, eyebrow pluckers -- fucking everything you can think of -- as you like. My wife is picky when it comes to accommodation and she said it was the one of the nicest places she'd ever stayed.
holy shit, just looked the place up and this is exactly the kind of fun suggestion i'm collecting for the trip. freebies are definitely welcome when it's already going to be the most expensive trip we've taken from the flights alone, lmao.

i'm about to start assembling a proper plan at last so go ham with the suggestions. we're probably not going to schedule many specific activities, rather plan a route and explore or do things based on vibes each day, so having options is nice.

looks like our timing might coincide with a cat festival... :thinking

Andy

Northern Lights
GW Elder
After getting married my wife and I did a couple of days in Riga then a couple in Tallinn then a couple in Helsinki and had a great time. All really easy to travel between too. Tallinn was my favourite of those.

GW Elder
we've been talking about taking the helsinki -> tallinn trip forever! it'll probably happen next time we're in finland, assuming we can ever afford a holiday again after japan...

i'm about to start assembling a proper plan at last so go ham with the suggestions. we're probably not going to schedule many specific activities, rather plan a route and explore or do things based on vibes each day, so having options is nice.
Can't go wrong with that. That's how we ended up finding most of our favorite spots. Pretty much every corner of Japan has something incredible.

For recommendations that you might not find in typical Tokyo guides:
-There's a capybara cafe that's worth checking out if you wanna chill with some capybaras. My wife loved it.
-Yamishiroya. Huge like 8 floor toy store across from Ueno station. Has a bunch of cool souvenirs and merch from games, anime, whatever. Worth going just to see.
-Rokurinsha for ramen in Tokyo station. Best bowl of ramen you'll ever have. Might have to wait 30-45 mins but it's worth it. Some cool shops in the station so one of you can hold a place in line while the other explores.

If you have want to have ONE really good (expensive) meal, make it at Tapas Molecular Bar. Probably the best dining experience I've ever had, but you'll have to book far in advance.

GW Elder
capybara café and yamashiroya look great, as does rokurinsha if we're feeling british enough to wait in line. we're probably too chaotic with our appetites abroad to handle something as structured as the tapas, but the presentation of it looks like you're a judge in a goddamn masterchef finale.

well shit, i'm just back from the netherlands and now i'm already excited to go away again.

GW Elder
whoa. what's bear meat like?

was it a steak or burger or something? we had a similar discussion about reindeer meat recently, when i mentioned that my first taste of it was a reindeer mayo sandwich that i picked up for lunch one day.

e: actually it might have been cream cheese, but "reindeer mayo" is too funny

Shadow.

☂☂☂☂☂☂
GW Elder
Emotion Greeting GIF by echilibrultau

Pretty sure I still have you on Steam because your name changes constantly have me wondering who you are lol

i've never had bison
Bison is a mostly an NA only animal with some supposedly in Europe, so I'm not surprised someone in the Southern Hemisphere hasn't had bison (buffalo) meat. Surprised you've had bear, though. Bison burgers are [relatively] common here in the US and I see bison meat in stores all the time. I don't think I've ever seen bear meat being sold.

Love stroganoff, btw. My mom made it on occasion (with ground beef, not tri tips), and it holds a special place in my heard next to chicken paprikash. Basically, if the recipe calls for sour cream and paprika, I'll probably like it.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Bison is a mostly an NA only animal with some supposedly in Europe, so I'm not surprised someone in the Southern Hemisphere hasn't had bison (buffalo) meat. Surprised you've had bear, though. Bison burgers are [relatively] common here in the US and I see bison meat in stores all the time. I don't think I've ever seen bear meat being sold.

Love stroganoff, btw. My mom made it on occasion (with ground beef, not tri tips), and it holds a special place in my heard next to chicken paprikash. Basically, if the recipe calls for sour cream and paprika, I'll probably like it.

It being so common here is why I assumed he would have tried it one of the times he visited, since he’s one of those adventurous eaters. I definitely have not seen bear meat in stores, not even at specialty butchers.

Back
Top Bottom