Green Day - Saviors

I don't think there are many here that are as big on Green Day as I am, but their new album "Saviors" releases on Friday. Based on the songs they've already released on their YT channel, this is by far their best album since at least 21st Century Breakdown, which came out nearly 15 years ago (May, 2009).

They posted a preview vid featuring snitbits of all of their songs in the album today.

They're also touring this year with Rancid and Smashing Pumpkins. Unfortunately, their show here in STL won't include the Pumpkins for some reason, but I'm not missing out on my chance to finally see Green Day live just because I won't get tto hear 1979 live.

I'll give it a listen on Friday but I have not been a fan of theirs since American Idiot. I thought 21st Century Breakdown tried to copy AI and felt stale. I lost interest in them completely after that. I revisited the last two after the Uno Dos Tre release and I don't really like them.

It's unfortunate because I thought they defined the 90's sound for me better than grunge. I loved their style, attitude, and writing chops. Dookie is probably my favorite 90's album and International Superhits! is the best compilation I own. I seem to also be one of the few that really thinks Warning is a top 3 album in their catalogue. As they got older, the attitude was still there but something is missing. I can't tell what it is, though.

They are playing Fenway Park, and I also really like the Pumpkins and to an extent Rancid, but it's not worth it to me so I'm skipping it.

Excited for this, their last albums were duds for me. The Uno Dos Tre would have been one really good to great album but spread over 3 albums really watered it down.

Revolution Radio was bad as was Father of All (also it was terribly mixed)
It feels weird to be excited for a new Green Day album. I've just expected disappointment, but then I heard "Look Ma, No Brains", I felt hope. It's a fun song to listen to, and it doesn't overstay it's welcome. I like "Dilemma", too. I'm not too high on "The American Dream is Killing Me" though, but it might be because of the timing of the song's release. I liked them releasing a Halloween themed video a week before Halloween, but the song feels out of place for the holiday.

If you clicked the links, you might have noticed something consistent in all three vids. They're all [mostly] black and white. They're definitely sticking with a theme here.

It feels weird to be excited for a new Green Day album. I've just expected disappointment, but then I heard "Look Ma, No Brains", I felt hope. It's a fun song to listen to, and it doesn't overstay it's welcome. I like "Dilemma", too. I'm not too high on "The American Dream is Killing Me" though, but it might be because of the timing of the song's release. I liked them releasing a Halloween themed video a week before Halloween, but the song feels out of place for the holiday.

If you clicked the links, you might have noticed something consistent in all three vids. They're all [mostly] black and white. They're definitely sticking with a theme here.

Yeah I liked some of what I heard, sounds better than their latest stuff, but just excited to see if they can do something good again.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I really wanna give it a listen, but I find myself in the camp that didn’t really care for anything they released after International Superhits, but after reading this thread and hearing about their recent guerilla performance in the NYC subway, I’m considering giving it a listen. My problem is… just like movies and games… the fucking backlog I have.

Man, this album has helped me jump back into the Green Day rabbit hole. Listening through Green Day's catalog. "Father of All" is... something. Whatever it is, it is NOT a Green Day album.

Play this song for someone who is familiar with Green Day but not so familiar that they've heard all of their songs and try to see if they can guess the band:

21st Century Breakdown is too fucking long.

Back
Top Bottom