Sony God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla

Wow I thought they were done with this game! I don't have a PS5 but I'm likely getting one for GTA VI, and the GOW games are definitely on the list to pick up.
They said that there was no DLC coming and that there would be a new game coming based on Atreus. I imagine that's still happening, but this is a nice surprise.

Interesting that between this, and TLOU2 Remastered, Sony is going a bit harder on Roguelikes now.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I can't watch that, I just bought Ragnarok for Black Friday and have yet to play the 2018 game.

So instead I listened to Sleipnir and made a note to remember to download and never play it.
Cole just started playing 2018 and I am loving hearing about his adventures.

The new God of War games hold a special place in my heart and I get a weird sense of excitement hearing about other people experiencing them for the first time.

It's wild to me because I have very little love for the original series.

The new God of War games hold a special place in my heart and I get a weird sense of excitement hearing about other people experiencing them for the first time.

I watched someone else play the entire original series before LPs were a thing. It was both rewarding and frustrating lol. But because of that, I always said I would play the new ones on my own. Still the plan.

Cole just started playing 2018 and I am loving hearing about his adventures.

I really should rent and play the three of those games...

The most shocking thing to me is that GoW is still relevant because of this. Like, sure, okay, I get it. T&A in the mid-aughts, completely gross and over-the-top violence - of course it sold. But even then the gameplay was basically clunky and slow generic action game, in a world where Devil May Cry existed. The narrative wasn't super gripping, and Kratos himself was... well, Kratos. Insufferable. Abhorrent. Irredeemable.

Seeing the internet go all "Boy!" does have me intrigued, and I most likely will return to the original trilogy at some point to finish that (never bought/touched GoW3) and see if my super cynical memory is fully accurate. But as-is, it's kind of hard to imagine caring about Kratos as a character. :chuckle

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
The most shocking thing to me is that GoW is still relevant because of this. Like, sure, okay, I get it. T&A in the mid-aughts, completely gross and over-the-top violence - of course it sold. But even then the gameplay was basically clunky and slow generic action game, in a world where Devil May Cry existed. The narrative wasn't super gripping, and Kratos himself was... well, Kratos. Insufferable. Abhorrent. Irredeemable.

Seeing the internet go all "Boy!" does have me intrigued, and I most likely will return to the original trilogy at some point to finish that (never bought/touched GoW3) and see if my super cynical memory is fully accurate. But as-is, it's kind of hard to imagine caring about Kratos as a character. :chuckle
Well I will warn you, judging by your comments here and things I've seen you say in other threads, I don't anticipate you having much love for the combat in the new series. I really like it, but I'm more of a...Batman Arkham/Spider-Man and you strike me more as a Platinum/FromSoft when it comes to action?

Well I will warn you, judging by your comments here and things I've seen you say in other threads, I don't anticipate you having much love for the combat in the new series. I really like it, but I'm more of a...Batman Arkham/Spider-Man and you strike me more as a Platinum/FromSoft when it comes to action?
I adore Asylum's (and I guess City's, but to a lesser extent with the various additions) Freeflow combat system actually!

Can't say I've really seen much gameplay of the new GoW games to know how they play. But being different from the original can only be a step in the right direction if you ask me.

I've played GOW 2018, Ragnarok, and the GOWIII Remastered, but never anything else in the series. IMO clunky and slow is probably more accurate of the current games rather than GOWIII. Which is not to say they're bad - I like Ragnarok a lot (2018 was not as convincing for me), but I definitely thought the older series were a lot more hyper and fast-paced based on my play through of GOWIII.

Maybe I need to give this game another shot but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I played through 2018 (but found it very slow a lot of the time and almost didn't finish it several times) but Ragnarok (at least the first five-ish hours) feel SO SLOW to me that I wasn't able to even get too far.

but I definitely thought the older series were a lot more hyper and fast-paced based on my play through of GOWIII.
It's a relative thing to be sure. Like GoW/2 aren't slow, but options are very basic, guarding is exceedingly powerful, dashing is more like... clunky-glide/snap and grab. Nothing is quick and fluid like with an actual Character-Action/J-Action, and my memory tells me even something like Kingdom Hearts 2 had a better feel to it.

The Mark of Kri keeps wanting to pop into my head for some reason I can't quite place.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Having spent a bit of time with God of War: Ragnarok: Some Gods Would Rather Go To Valhalla Than Therapy, I have to say...best free DLC ever?

Like, it's seriously mind blowing I didn't have to pay money for this. There's a lot more to it than I expected.

Having spent a bit of time with God of War: Ragnarok: Some Gods Would Rather Go To Valhalla Than Therapy, I have to say...best free DLC ever?

Like, it's seriously mind blowing I didn't have to pay money for this. There's a lot more to it than I expected.
Glad to hear! I haven't gotten to it yet, but it seems like your thoughts echo the common sentiment, and that it's pretty good.

I've had a couple of short sessions with the DLC now and I'm really enjoying this. It's basically more of the same combat from Ragnarok, except that your skills vary each run and there are some permanent upgrades you can get. The lore/story captured my attention by the 3rd or so run, and that's a record for the GOW franchise for me. I'm not sure I could play more than an hour in one sitting, but it's a great unwind if you only have a bit of time at the end of the day or need a break from a more draining game.

Back
Top Bottom