• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Gen alpha brainrot words

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
People with children, do kids these days really say thinks like skibidi sigma fantum tax rizz gyatt out for the rizzler?

Wife and I came across a kid answering a brainrot quiz and getting 7/7 which apparently meant he had skibidi sigma rizz. And now we can't stop using these dumbass words to describe everything.

Is this shit real? Are kids really saying these things, or is it a bit overblown?

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Yes it's real, but it's not like every word and sometimes only when being silly with friends. Overblown but they use a lot of those words

Rizz is fine IMO though, as are a few other things like slaps, and fire
I don't mind rizz. It's a little cheesy but not bad. Slaps is okay, and fire is a bit lame but at least intelligible.

I didn't even think to ask the teachers. I'll drop a word every now in then in class to make my students laugh, but they're a bit post-gen alpha so they thing these words are kind of cringe too. @Fire Queen what's your experience with this?

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I'm generally sour at the use of "Skibidi", just because one of my favorite bands put out a song in 2019 with that title, before the toilet thing was meme, and I just feel robbed.

My almost-12 year old uses "sigma" in place of awesome/great, etc. but none of the others overly so.

I did make him die when I said "sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler" one time.

@Fire Queen what's your experience with this?
so my students are juniors and seniors in high school which means they're a bit older than gen alpha but i do still encounter some of these words sometimes. a lot of what's considered "gen alpha slang," for instance "mogging" (looking better than another dude), "mewing" (making your jawline more defined when posing for a photo), and especially "sigma" are terms that originated in the manosphere which is where all of the guys who got banned from r/PUA for being too creepy went

other ones, like "gyatt" and "rizz," originate in AAVE which is where a lot of trendy internet slang comes from

and then you have stupid bullshit like "fanum tax" which is named after an influencer who steals peoples fries i think

skibidi is so overblown the only time i hear my kids mention it they're being ironic about it. i think

good timing because one of my local newspapers just published this cringefest

image.png

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
so my students are juniors and seniors in high school which means they're a bit older than gen alpha but i do still encounter some of these words sometimes. a lot of what's considered "gen alpha slang," for instance "mogging" (looking better than another dude), "mewing" (making your jawline more defined when posing for a photo), and especially "sigma" are terms that originated in the manosphere which is where all of the guys who got banned from r/PUA for being too creepy went

other ones, like "gyatt" and "rizz," originate in AAVE which is where a lot of trendy internet slang comes from

and then you have stupid bullshit like "fanum tax" which is named after an influencer who steals peoples fries i think

skibidi is so overblown the only time i hear my kids mention it they're being ironic about it. i think

good timing because one of my local newspapers just published this cringefest

image.png
But what are the answers? I must know if my sigma friend is Greek or not.

But what are the answers? I must know if my sigma friend is Greek or not.
Answers

1. Mogging: B. "Mogging" gained popularity on TikTok, where users post slideshows of photos of celebrities in which one star outshines the rest, looking so attractive they make another look bad in comparison. In other words, they "Mog" the competition. The word can be traced to online forums on involuntary celibacy from as early as 2016 where members, mostly men, discuss how to maintain dominant social status using their appearances.

2. Sigma: D. "sigma," in this case, does not mean the 18th letter of the Greek alphabet. Today, the word is used to describe an alpha male or macho dude. British GQ traced the term's origins back to the so-called "Manosphere," a collection of online forums for misogynistic beliefs: "sigma Grindset merges this existing extremist thinking with posts about grind culture motivation, internet nihilism and workout content, creating a fusion of subcultures."

3. Skibidi: A, B, C and D. Trick question. "Skibidi," pronounced like "Skippity," has no inherent meaning. It can be used as a wacky adjective to mean cool, bad or dumb, depending on the context, according to urban dictionary. It can also be used as a way to start a joking conversation in reference to absurd slang culture. The term is derived from a song used in the viral Skibidi Toilet YouTube shorts series by Alexey Gerasimov; a single video in the series has more than 201 million views. The #skibidi hashtag on TikTok has more than 670,000 posts and a version of the meme was referenced by Stephen Colbert on "The Late show" in may.

4. Fanum tax: A. "Fanum tax" is the theft of food between friends. It was popularized on TikTok but created by Fanum, a Twitch streamer with more than 2.5 million followers and member of fellow streamer Kai Cenat's social media influencer group, amp.

5. Ohio: A. The term "Ohio" is thought to have originated from memes like "it's all Ohio" and "Only in Ohio" popularized in the last few years, according to the internet culture publication The daily dot. In more modern tween slang, the state of Ohio is used as a stand-in for anything that is weird, cringe or random.

6. Rizzler: C. Oxford university, which named "Rizz" as its word of the year in 2023, defines the term as "someone's ability to attract or seduce another person," and nodded to a common assumption that the word is derived from the word charisma. a "Rizzler" is the latest variation on the trend: someone who is successful at flirting with people.

7. Mewing: B. According to the American association of Orthodontists, "mewing" is a technique in which one flattens their tongue against the roof of their mouth in an attempt to define their jawline. The AAO warns that the technique likely will not have long-term benefits.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I hate everything you just posted.

Bring back 90s buzzwords, pls.
Yo, check it out, dawg. I gotta hit you with the straight-up 411, and it's not gonna be the answer you're hoping for, capisce? I mean, I'd love to be all "radical" and hit you with a "yes," but nah, not today, homie. That's a no-go, a total buzzkill, like when your dial-up kicks you off mid-AOL chatroom. So, as much as I'd like to flip it and reverse it, the answer is, in all its grunge-tastic glory, a solid "no way, José." Catch my drift? It's like, totally not happening, dude.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
killing me that “diddy” and “diddy party” are different entries but also makes sense because boy do the kids talk about that a lot

I guess the distinction is because “diddy” can be a verb and a noun?

I can’t imagine high schoolers not running wild with this, considering when we were coming up it was all about how many ribs Marilyn Manson removed.

Back
Top Bottom