Industry Gamestop is Selling "USED" Copies of Digital Release Games

Last month, I bought the Spyro Trilogy at GameStop, didn't realize it was a digital download until now. I've already passed their 30 day return limit, so I can't get my money back. There is no download code on the box, nor on the receipt, so I'm basically out 28 bucks. The employee never said a word, either.

Learn from my mistake, when you buy Switch games used, make sure they actually include the SD card with the game(s) or a working download code.

What sucks even more, is that I STILL don't have the first Spyro game in any capacity. I have only ever seen 2 and 3 in stores, but never the first one.

I love that it says "Includes 3 games" on the box...

Ignore this, I'm a moron.

Last edited:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It was just a matter of time… those bastards have been selling faulty stuff for years as “used”, so this doesn’t surprise me in the least.

Have you at least tried playing dumb by calling up the store and asking what their policy is for “used” digital editions of games if they’re inaccessible? You might have better luck playing “dumb customer” over “frustrated customer” if they pull your account and see you’re a spender. Being outside of the 30 days might be an issue, but it might be an issue they’ll work with you on if you should have never been sold the product to begin with.

It was just a matter of time… those bastards have been selling faulty stuff for years as “used”, so this doesn’t surprise me in the least.

Have you at least tried playing dumb by calling up the store and asking what their policy is for “used” digital editions of games if they’re inaccessible? You might have better luck playing “dumb customer” over “frustrated customer” if they pull your account and see you’re a spender. Being outside of the 30 days might be an issue, but it might be an issue they’ll work with you on if you should have never been sold the product to begin with.
I don't have a Gamestop account.

They definitely shouldn't have sold it to me...

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I don't have a Gamestop account.

They definitely shouldn't have sold it to me...

I would still try as long as you have the receipt. Not everyone can go home and immediately play a game to determine whether or not it can be played… for all they know, it was a gift you purchased for someone that sat in wait for however long. If you’re not asking for your money back and just asking for the game you already paid for, the part of me that has some faith in humanity says that they should let you slide.

I would still try as long as you have the receipt. Not everyone can go home and immediately play a game to determine whether or not it can be played… for all they know, it was a gift you purchased for someone that sat in wait for however long. If you’re not asking for your money back and just asking for the game you already paid for, the part of me that has some faith in humanity says that they should let you slide.
If I went to the store, and they were able to hand me the cartridge, I'd be happy.

GameStop is legendarily awful with failing to put dics/carts into cases. Whenever we partake of their B2G1 free sales, we literally sit in the store and crack each and every one open to ensure 1) there's something in there at all and 2) what is in there is actually the right fucking thing. 😂

Spyro definitely has a cart, and IIRC that cart is the key to be able to download... whatever it is that needs to be downloaded. We've long since reached the point where physical Switch releases via third parties are, at best, dubious. Square Enix is reportedly doing the same thing with Star Ocean: The Second Story R next week, and this week Konami's Metal Gear Solid collection (Vol.1) requires downloads for most of the games.

I would like to report that I'm a dumbass and that I had already put the game into my Switch. The only reason I forgot was because when I started the game up, it told me I needed to update my Switch and I didn't feel like finding the ethernet adapter to connect it to my router (or go searching for my Wifi password) so I never played it.

I probably would have checked the Switch first, but after opening the box, I saw that it said download required and thought it was a digital release and that I never got a cart.

@Crystal or @Mark, if you don't mind, can you shuffle this pointless and misleading thread to the recycling bin after people have had time to see this comment?

I would like to state, that I still don't like that I need to DL 10GB of data to install the game in full... what happens when the next Switch is released and they kill off the network for this system?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
And no, I did not take it to GS before finding out, thank goodness.

It would have been comedy gold to see the look on your face when your eyes locked with the cartridge. We’ve all been there, and that’s why it’s funny. My most recent one was realizing I had been accommodating a rotating power plug unnecessarily for about a year… I couldn’t help but laughwhen I saw that fucker rotate accidentally when I hit into it.

I would like to state, that I still don't like that I need to DL 10GB of data to install the game in full... what happens when the next Switch is released and they kill off the network for this system?
It doesn't make any sense to ever purchase anything digitally for Nintendo platforms.

It doesn't make any sense to ever purchase anything physical for Nintendo platforms that require downloads in any way, shape or form to be functional/have complete stories/whatever.

Kind of only leaves the one option. :giggle The fact that they have a proven track record and there's no question whatsoever that it's "when" and not "if" is the central problem.

Physical games that require you to download the entire games are a demon that the Vidya industry needs exorcised.
So, supposedly the SD card they use for Switch games are too small compared to Blu Ray discs, and the larger the card, the more expensive it is to use, so some games come incomplete. The Xenogears game on the Wii U that hasn't yet been ported can't be currently ported because it's likely too big a game to stick on those SD cards.

It doesn't make any sense to ever purchase anything digitally for Nintendo platforms.

It doesn't make any sense to ever purchase anything physical for Nintendo platforms that require downloads in any way, shape or form to be functional/have complete stories/whatever.

Kind of only leaves the one option. :giggle The fact that they have a proven track record and there's no question whatsoever that it's "when" and not "if" is the central problem.
Even more is that even if you retain the data on your console, and you use your console a lot, the SSD will die at some point (though it will take a lot longer compared to a computer).

So, supposedly the SD card they use for Switch games are too small compared to Blu Ray discs, and the larger the card, the more expensive it is to use, so some games come incomplete. The Xenogears game on the Wii U that hasn't yet been ported can't be currently ported because it's likely too big a game to stick on those SD cards.
It's true. There are also issues with supply constraint on the bigger cards, because this is all proprietary stuff and Nintendo themselves don't/can't produce the carts. The standard sizes are readily available because everyone uses those; each time a game does a mandatory download the problem exacerbates on the larger sizes.

But, also, nothing is forcing publishers to release these things physically to begin with. Or not charging more money for when the bigger carts are required.

Even more is that even if you retain the data on your console, and you use your console a lot, the SSD will die at some point (though it will take a lot longer compared to a computer).
Or you, y'know, drop and break the device while using it in handheld mode. I assume there are a plethora of DRM checks to fuck everyone over post-shop closure. :chuckle

Sure, but there's simply no excuse for games like the Mega Man X and Legacy collections requiring downloads.

Back
Top Bottom