• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Multi Games you quit because you got stuck due to difficulty spike or part?

I did play through one of those endurance races on the original PlayStation. I want to say it took me at least four hours. I was maybe a half dozen laps from the end, had a decent buffer in first place that was hard fought, and all of a sudden the screen went black. I looked at the console and THE CAT HAD SAT ON IT AND TURNED IT OFF! I'm pretty sure I literally cried and never played that game again. I'm sooo glad they moved the power button on later consoles.

Hahahaha, this reminds me of the one time my brother did an endurance race at the Laguna Seca raceway. I think it was like 70 laps or something, it was 2 or 3 hours long, the car he had was so fast that we lapped the entire field 5 or 6 times in the race... except for 1 on the cars he found out. On the last 3 laps he decided to do as many burnouts/slides/drifts as he could just screwing around, and at the start of the last lap he was passed by someone and position changed from 1st to 2nd. He never realized that there was one car that he never lapped and because he was messing around, his tires were essentially black on the UI meaning he had no grip at all and could not catch up fast enough to overtake that car. Finished 2nd for messing around.

We tag teamed to do a good half dozen of these in GT2, one being 8 hours. We did shifts to finish it, 2 hours a piece.

For racing games - GT2 is the pinnacle for me, but Forza 4 is next due to the Top Gear integration. Was huge into that show when it came out.

Back to the actual topic question - I can only think of a couple.

Baldurs Gate 2 - I was about 40 hours in and got myself locked into an area that I was way underleveled for and could not return, and back then I had never thought of making multiple saves. I tried restarting a few times but I just couldn't do it all again.

GTA San Andreas - Flight school I think. I failed so many times in the desert that I never finished the game. Only Rockstar game I never finished the campaign.

Widget for NES
Bart vs the space mutants for NES
Barts Nightmare on the Genesis was an absolute bastard too. Not a fun game at all. Harked back to the era of basically impossible NES games where there are death falls everywhere and there's a cluster of enemies onscreen trying to kill you at all times.

Damn those floating homework pages.

Last edited:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I miss the game genie and cheat codes. Sometimes I am just bad at a game and need infinite ammo. What happened to that?

Right? That’s how we ALL ended up here. I’ve found cheat sheets printed out from middle school going back to 98-99 last time I went through my old boxes.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Right? That’s how we ALL ended up here. I’ve found cheat sheets printed out from middle school going back to 98-99 last time I went through my old boxes.

I tossed those printouts, but I remember going to the library after school and using the limited free quota to print game genie codes from GW, before I even knew the forums existed. Most were from before the forums actually existed

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I tossed those printouts, but I remember going to the library after school and using the limited free quota to print game genie codes from GW, before I even knew the forums existed. Most were from before the forums actually existed

Mine were preserved in a BINDER, my dude. I was serious about my cheat codes. I held onto it so when I have the time, I could take proper photos of them and preserve them. Now that we’ve got this place… I’ve got somewhere to post my old FFVII hints, Frogger level passwords, and other random shit like that.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Mine were preserved in a BINDER, my dude. I was serious about my cheat codes. I held onto it so when I have the time, I could take proper photos of them and preserve them. Now that we’ve got this place… I’ve got somewhere to post my old FFVII hints, Frogger level passwords, and other random shit like that.
Mine just lived in folders :ugh

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Mine just lived in folders :ugh

You took a shortcut, dude… that’s all. My GameShark is broken. Why? Same reason. I left it IN the GameBoy so neither would get dust in them instead of bagging it or something sensible. The box must have taken a spill and broke it clean in half.

Op19

GW Elder
Not quite a difficulty spike but I've never completed a Metroid game cause I get too lost and I hate it. And the same thing for Hyper Light Drifter.

Metroid and Super Metroid I drew my own maps. Metroid Fusion it was always clear where to go. Prime Trilogy I definitely wandered around lost a fair amount. Didn't mind that short term as I'd use it to hunt collectibles I'd missed. If I was really stuck I used a walkthrough guide to help.

Not quite a difficulty spike but I've never completed a Metroid game cause I get too lost and I hate it. And the same thing for Hyper Light Drifter.
I have completed only one Metroid game, Metroid Prime. I had to force myself to actually TRY to put forth effort into figuring out where to go after landing on the planet. A strategy guide definitely helped me.

Same with Windwaker, I think I got stuck on Dragon's Roost somewhere and gave up for a while. Which is funny because escaping the prison island the first time was more of a pain in the ass thsn anything on Dragon's Roost Island. That game I heavily leaned on the strat guide. I can't imagine completing the Triforce shards section because that was a pain in the ass WITH the guide, would have been impossible without the guide. I can't imagine how many hours it would have taken for me to complete it without the guide.

Triforce Shards aren't very hard, Tingle gives you a map showing where they all are, and it's one of the few maps in the game where each piece gets crossed off as you collect it, so you don't forget which ones you took already.

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I haven't ever quit a game because it was too difficult. I came close a few times: Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Sekiro (notice a pattern?), Rain World, El Shaddai, Furi... just kept hammering away at them until something "clicked", and many of these ended up becoming some of my favorite games ever. Ended up platinuming all of the above.

I *may* have cheated a bit when I used save states in Castlevania: Bloodlines and Super Castlevania IV.

Raine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
GW Elder
El Shaddai
Oh dear. This is on the shortlist of 5-ish X360 games I had intended to blitz through post-Armored Core VI, have always heard it's an incredibly unique experience but never anything about difficulty/table flipping. Should do this one first so the others can help me unwind, mayhaps. 😂

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Oh dear. This is on the shortlist of 5-ish X360 games I had intended to blitz through post-Armored Core VI, have always heard it's an incredibly unique experience but never anything about difficulty/table flipping. Should do this one first so the others can help me unwind, mayhaps. 😂
The first time you play through, the bosses and some encounters can be very frustrating. When you get a hang of the mechanics though, the game becomes easier. I found the hardest mode to be easier than my first run-through tbh, with the exception of one or two specific bosses that just melt your health. It's definitely unique. I wouldn't call it a great game, but it's interesting.

Op19

GW Elder
I think I've only ever completed 1-2 Zelda games. I've played them all. :chuckle
Its funny Id consider myself a "Zelda fan" but I've only beaten Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. I would have beaten Twilight Princess but a save mishap happened and Tears of the Kingdom I plan to go back to at least.

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I just remembered something amusing. I got stuck in alttp at the second (desert) dungeon. I knew where to go, but couldn't. Come to find out, I never went back to Shahasrahashahrahahhahaa dude and got my running boots. Sure, I was like 8 or 9 at the time and only knew a couple words in English (and probably only swear words), so I had no idea to go back after beating the first dungeon. From there on I spent days or probably weeks going around everywhere else before I finally ended up back there somehow. I might've even set the game down for a while too. Not sure on that detail.

Looking through my Steam library real quick

I never fully beat Baba is You. I got to the last area and then it really started to get hard. I probably could complete it, but it started to get to the point of sitting there for over half an hour per level to beat them.

Magicka. Hecking fun game with a some buddies, but I think accidental friendly fire lost all of us that game. Loads of laughs though, so it doesn't really sting much.

Mirror's Edge. I think I got stuck in one level where I had to get through an area with a bunch of people shooting at me. That game also was headache inducing for me, so that didn't help with trying to figure the game out. Welp.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I never fully beat Baba is You. I got to the last area and then it really started to get hard. I probably could complete it, but it started to get to the point of sitting there for over half an hour per level to beat them.
You just reminded me. I'm stuck in the space world, there's a couple levels there I haven't finished. And a few others in other biomes. I've never made it to the end of the game. I'll return to it one day. It's such a good puzzle game.

Back
Top Bottom