Favorite Movie Based on a Video Game

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Hit me with some of your video game movies. For me, some of the ones I can watch over and over are of course the Resident Evil series, the first Doom, Sonic, the animated Super Mario Bros movie and the original Mortal Kombat.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I liked the Resident Evil movies when that franchise first started, but they definitely milked it towards the middle.

Otherwise… it’s not a movie, but The Last of Us was an impressive adaptation. You can tell it’s a passion project for those involved.

I’m definitely deviating now, but, I would love to see a movie based around BioShock, Horizon, Resistance: Fall of Man (not sure how many of y’all remember the lore to that shooter series, but it was solid), and even something in the Red Dead Redemption realm.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
The original Mortal Kombat from the 90s.

I've watched it dozens of times.

Yes, it's not objectively good. But I love it.

annihilation movie GIF

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
no one wants to admit that the live-action super mario movie actually kicked ass

I had to watch that movie a few times as a kid before I didn’t hate it. The only reason I gave it a chance was because of Bob Hoskins, “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” was one of my favorites back then. Now that I’m older… they did Bob dirty with that movie. He was too good of an actor for that.

Shadow.

☂☂☂☂☂☂
GW Elder
I really liked both Mario movies (animated and the old live action one)

I thought Sonic 1 was good and 2 was pretty meh but I'm looking forward to 3.
(Shadow the Hedgehog is what started my 17+ years username lol)

I’m definitely deviating now, but, I would love to see a movie based around BioShock, Horizon
Don't know if you've seen but there's a live action Horizon TV series coming out around 2026! It's being worked on by Netflix who has some hit and misses so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edit- Detective Pikachu was also really fun.

Last edited:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Don't know if you've seen but there's a live action Horizon TV series coming out around 2026! It's being worked on by Netflix who has some hit and misses so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Nope, you’re the source now, I hadn’t heard until you posted… and now I’m going down the rabbit hole.

I heard they were also the same ones developing a BioShock series, but I never looked into it beyond the coming soon image. I’m sure you’ve seen just as many fakes of those as I have, so it’s hard to take them seriously.

Yeah, Last of Us was great! Skipped it due to being not a movie though
Agreed. Looking forward to season 2.

I enjoyed season 1 of the witcher too. I like Henry Cavill, but they've butchered it since. And moving to a Hemsworth all so you can continue to denigrate the source material makes me mad.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Tomb Raider is my favorite, all of them are good. They make fun action movies, and they capture the energy of the games well. I especially liked the most recent one (I think, the one everybody complained the actress didn't have big enough boobs). One thing after another went horribly sideways, which is absolutely how the games go!

Detective Pikachu was also a fun watch. There were lots of references for fans to get ("Magikarp is the worst!" :rofl ), but the overall plot was still interesting enough even if you weren't into the games.

I vaguely remember liking Silent Hill and Resident Evil, but I couldn't tell you anything more specific about those movies than that.

Back
Top Bottom