Multi Eiyuden Chronicle, who else is excited?

I might actually drop everything and play this one, for a change. :giggle

A bit miffed that I didn't Kickstart the physical Xbox version and that's one of the ones you can't just get at retail, but it is what it is.
I'll probably throw an unreasonable amount of money at some jackass on Ebay at some point lol

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I really like 3. The way they handled the multiple main character thing, letting you see multiple viewpoints, wasn't groundbreaking but fit nicely into the War stories of Suikoden. Being able to choose which one is the  real protagonist is one of the only moments in the series where you have real choice, which is great.

Overall it doesn't hit that S Tier the others do, but it's a solid A RPG in my book. I'm hoping Eiyuden and the impending 1&2 remakes do well enough that we get a new version of 3, but I'm not holding my breath.

4 is the only one I really don't love, and it's still an okay game in its own right. I'd call it C tier.

I don't consider Tierkreis to be a Suikoden, and I've never actually finished Tactics. I'm not a big TRPG guy and the link to 4 didn't make it super appealing.

I really like 3. The way they handled the multiple main character thing, letting you see multiple viewpoints, wasn't groundbreaking but fit nicely into the War stories of Suikoden. Being able to choose which one is the  real protagonist is one of the only moments in the series where you have real choice, which is great.

Overall it doesn't hit that S Tier the others do, but it's a solid A RPG in my book. I'm hoping Eiyuden and the impending 1&2 remakes do well enough that we get a new version of 3, but I'm not holding my breath.

4 is the only one I really don't love, and it's still an okay game in its own right. I'd call it C tier.

I don't consider Tierkreis to be a Suikoden, and I've never actually finished Tactics. I'm not a big TRPG guy and the link to 4 didn't make it super appealing.

I havent played 4 and dont plan to

Looking at my notes, I did like 5 a little more than 3. 3 was a B+ for me and 5 was an A-. I think 3 could use a remake, it is very much a product of its time IMO. Some neat ideas and I do like the skill system, but battle formation was kind of a dud. Geddoe is easily my favorite protagonist in the series

Have you done any of the visual novels? I started one and lost interest, maybe one day I'll go back

Article:
“We are moving forward with a sequel. It is very sad that Murayama is not with us anymore, but we have discussed many things with him. I hope we will be able to carry on Murayama’s legacy, and I always want to treasure his last work. I hope many people will support this game.”

I've never actually finished Tactics. I'm not a big TRPG guy and the link to 4 didn't make it super appealing.
Tactics was alright; kind of weird, but overall the narrative was better than S4 and actually improved characters like Snowe. Whom, while I don't remember S4's story in any real sense, I do remember not liking and even annoying me in that game. So that's something, I guess? :chuckle

5 > 3 > Tactics > 4, for me. I loved S3; it was my first game in the series and I picked it up on a complete whim (alongside others, like Wild ARMs 3) during a random trip to GameStop in like 2003. Missed S2 until it was already stupid expensive, and then never actually got around to purchasing a digital copy via PSN when that became available - and now just waiting on the remaster from Konami.

Missed S2 until it was already stupid expensive, and then never actually got around to purchasing a digital copy via PSN when that became available - and now just waiting on the remaster from Konami.
You are in for a treat

S1 is just as good IMO, I guess S2 is better overall, but I like that S1 is quick so that elevates it some IMO

Reviews for RPGs are universally unreliable, in my experience. My takeaway is that there are some technical hiccups, which are unfortunate but not necessarily a deal breaker. But there's apparently a highly noteworthy bug that can prevent recruiting one of the characters (I don't know which one) and thus becoming locked out of the true ending. So, depending on how hard that is to avoid, that's very disappointing from a physical collector's perspective - particularly on Switch, since you know those services will shut down an eternity before post-PS360 PSN and XBL.

I'm really tempted to fire it up tonight, but... I'm not sure I'm in the correct mood to really appreciate it or otherwise have the attention span/available time to stick with it. So, I'll probably play it safe and wait a while. Maybe do it over the summer with a couple days vacation or something. Physical PS5 version should arrive by the end of the weekend at least.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
But there's apparently a highly noteworthy bug that can prevent recruiting one of the characters (I don't know which one) and thus becoming locked out of the true ending. So, depending on how hard that is to avoid, that's very disappointing from a physical collector's perspective - particularly on Switch, since you know those services will shut down an eternity before post-PS360 PSN and XBL.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Schreier was pretty meh on the game which is disappointing because he's a huge proponent of Suikoden (2 especially).

I'm allowing that to temper my expectations a bit, but still hoping to have a good time with it.

What I was anticipating to make a run at my GotY may end up behind P3R and Metaphor when its all said and done.

• Seen
Reactions: TD
Schreier was pretty meh on the game which is disappointing because he's a huge proponent of Suikoden (2 especially).

I'm allowing that to temper my expectations a bit, but still hoping to have a good time with it.

What I was anticipating to make a run at my GotY may end up behind P3R and Metaphor when its all said and done.

Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth, dont forget that

The reviews and impressions I've seen have made this a "will play at some point" rather than a must play. Schreier really put a damper on things, and others have also conveyed that as well. I'd rather the story and characters be the high point in games like this, and I keep hearing this is not true here.

The reviews and impressions I've seen have made this a "will play at some point" rather than a must play. Schreier really put a damper on things, and others have also conveyed that as well. I'd rather the story and characters be the high point in games like this, and I keep hearing this is not true here.

Same, I will play this at some point, though the reviews arent far off from most Suikoden games in terms of score

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Still very early on but, other than the whole "overheating and shutting down my system" thing (which has happened a couple other times), I am very much enjoying it.

The humor has elicited a few sensible chuckles and one of the characters I have recruited already ranks among my favorite if you include all the previous Suikoden games.

Still waiting to see if they can match the high drama of previous games but so far it is a fun little adventure.

Back
Top Bottom