Daylight Savings

Lose an hour this week, at least in most states and in the US. Not sure what the rest of the world does. Fucking hate it, just pick a time and stick with it. I have such an internal clock it's hard to adjust with either time change though I do like the extra hour in the fall. But overall hate losing an hour of my weekend. Why cant it be like at 12 on a Friday to speed up the work day?

I also know the why to my question, but would love that

This is the part of the year where I just cease to function properly for a while. I find it incredibly difficult to adjust my sleep schedule away from being nocturnal/a night owl generally, and having the hour shift is another layer of hell.

Probably extra worse this year since my sleep schedule is off the rails a bit right now anyway, and the time change hasn't even happened yet! Someone hook my comatose ass up to some caffeine, stat. 😓

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Oregon has passed something to get rid of DST if Washington and California do it too (a lot of people commute between Oregon and Washington so that makes sense, I say fuck waiting for California though.) The entire west coast already agreed to go to permanent DST (please no), but the feds refused to approve it. You don't need federal approval to go to permanent standard time though.

Did y'all know the USA has previously trialed permanent DST in the 70s, but everybody hated it so much that they ended it within eight months?

I hate it so much here because when it starts, it goes back to being dark when I wake up. Then in the middle of summer, it's light until nearly 11 pm. Yeah it's so great having that extra hour of light while most people are trying to sleep! I tried to go camping last year to do some stargazing, but I accidentally did it on the longest day of the year and ended up falling asleep before it was dark out.

It's nice to have the light in the evening for maybe a month during spring and fall, but it's not worth all the clock changing.

Did y'all know the USA has previously trialed permanent DST in the 70s, but everybody hated it so much that they ended it within eight months?
This was actually overstated. Not everyone hated it, just the people who hated it were far more vocal than the people who were happy about it, and the news only reported on negative things. We were basically split down the middle then, and some people were unhappy that they didn't see enough of an energy cost savings and decided that was enough reason to go back to the way it was because people didn't like change.

Here's a good response I saw about that:

Then as now, there were mixed views.

The Uniform Time Act of 1966 first instituted the regular annual switch from Standard to Daylight Savings and back — prior to that, Daylight Savings had been implemented only periodically and temporarily, primarily as a means to conserve energy in wartime. DST was year-round during most of World War II, for example, before being eliminated after 1945.

In 1974, the US tried year-round DST once again. It does make for some dark early mornings in December and January, especially in more northern latitudes. There were reports of increased accidents involving children commuting to school, sometimes by flashlight. These gained a lot of media attention.

The increase in early morning accidents was actually quite slight. It was less robustly reported that evening commute accidents decreased on balance, and that there were small but significant household energy savings nationwide thanks to the extended evening sunshine. This is not at all to make light (bad pun) of children being hit by cars, but statistically it wasn't all grim. It's just that the bad news got all the attention. What have we done? Et cetera. It was not exactly a sober assessment, but nonetheless the decision was made to repeal the change.

How people feel about year-round Daylight Savings depends on their personalities and their personal circumstances, of course; it's one of those things in which you'll never be able to please everyone. Personally, I'm all for it. My dread of the 5 p.m. dusk is visceral. But some friends and colleagues have serious reservations about the dark mornings — mostly folks who, unlike me, don't seem to get outdoors much after five o'clock but may be out and about before 7 a.m. Everybody's different.

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder
I heard that statistically, ERs are a lot more busy when the time changes.

I do like having more daylight in the evenings but I don't think I have a strong preference either way. It would be nice for it not to change back and forth though.

ZandraJoi

It's been on Bills for many years to remove it but the Government has always been slow.
I wish they would just stop it already. I don't know of many who like it. Plus it creates more stress, health issues due to us having to live by a clock.

Friel

Dangerously under-medicated.
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I'm still on GMT for another few weeks. We swap to IST 31st March.

Back
Top Bottom