Science Daily showers are purely ‘performative’ and have no real health benefit, experts insist

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Call it perfume-ative hygiene.

Experts say the daily shower has no proven health benefit, dismissing the dousing as a socially accepted practice geared toward staving off accusations of funkiness — as A-listers like Jake Gyllenhaal and Mila Kunis admit they've been saying no to the nozzle.

"Why are we washing? Mostly because we're afraid somebody else will tell us that we're smelling," environmentalist Donnachadh McCarthy told the BBC.

The "Prostitute State" author only hoses off once per month to help the environment — a lifestyle choice inspired by spending two weeks in the Amazon with the indigenous Yanomami people, he said.

Every other morning, McCarthy told a reporter, he opts instead for a wash at the sink, using a cloth to give his body a good scrub.

And while abstaining from daily showers might seem like antisocial behavior, medical experts are inclined to lean toward agreeing with earthy types like McCarthy, saying that the modern obsession with cleanliness can actually be hazardous to one's health.

Manhattan dermatologist Dr. Julie Russak previously told The Post that prolonged and daily showers could strip away the "skin's microbiome," which plays a role in protecting the skin and is "also extremely important in overall health of the body."

Chemist David Whitlock was so adamant about preserving this dermal barrier that the bathing abstainer didn't shower for 12 years, instead opting to spray himself with good bacteria that he claims neutralizes the body's smell-making chemicals.

When asked about addressing critics, he told Vice: "Tell anyone who mocks you that they are betraying profound ignorance of the skin microbiome, and then walk away."

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Two things

1. The NY Post is garbage

2. Did anyone think they had health benefits? I would say there can be some some mental health benefits, I know I feel better if Im in a funk after a hot shower.

This.

At least it *kinda* explains the smell in NYC if a good chunk of New Yorkers subscribe to that paper.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I do shorter showers to cancel out my wife's longer showers

I will never understand the logistics of women’s showering, and I don’t care how sexist that sounds because, hopefully, that’ll cause someone to make it make sense to me. Don’t even try the detachable shower head angle, either, because that’s irrelevant. She can’t even reach it.

It takes me under 10 minutes to get everything done. It takes my other half that long to figure out what she’s wearing afterwards.

Last edited:

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
From reading a bunch of different opinions on this throughout the years, I'm of the view that daily shower on its own is fine for smell purposes. It may become a health issue if you actually exfoliate and wash yourself. Then all the good bacteria and microorganism might be gone. Same deal for your hair as well.

Is there "benefits"? Doubtful. Just curbing the cons of not doing it.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I will never understand the logistics of women’s showering, and I don’t care how sexist that sounds because, hopefully, that’ll cause someone to make it make sense to me. Don’t even try the detachable shower head angle, either, because that’s irrelevant. She can’t even reach it.

It takes me under 10 minutes to get everything done. It takes my other half that long to figure out what she’s wearing afterwards.
I'm a woman incapable of taking a sub-ten-minute shower even when rinsing before getting into the pool, so I'm not offended. My long showers are driven by several things:
  • I'm always cold, so hot showers feel nice, and I dread getting out because I'll be even colder then
  • My long hair takes forever to wash
  • I shave a large portion of my body nearly every time I shower
  • I don't wash everything concurrently; I do my hair first, then body (to wash off any residual shampoo or conditioner), then face (I use a different soap and water temp for this step)
  • Sometimes I add an exfoliating step, and I always wash my whole body from head to toe (I got a comment once from a guy that only women do that and guys just hit key spots)
My guess is guys are more likely to have a simpler routine with fewer steps and fewer different products, their hair is shorter, they don't shave in the shower or shave less area, and they enjoy the heated water less.

Every other morning, McCarthy told a reporter, he opts instead for a wash at the sink, using a cloth to give his body a good scrub.
What's the point of that? If you're going to wash, just get in the shower.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm a woman incapable of taking a sub-ten-minute shower even when rinsing before getting into the pool, so I'm not offended. My long showers are driven by several things:
  • I'm always cold, so hot showers feel nice, and I dread getting out because I'll be even colder then
  • My long hair takes forever to wash
  • I shave a large portion of my body nearly every time I shower
  • I don't wash everything concurrently; I do my hair first, then body (to wash off any residual shampoo or conditioner), then face (I use a different soap and water temp for this step)
  • Sometimes I add an exfoliating step, and I always wash my whole body from head to toe (I got a comment once from a guy that only women do that and guys just hit key spots)
My guess is guys are more likely to have a simpler routine with fewer steps and fewer different products, their hair is shorter, they don't shave in the shower or shave less area, and they enjoy the heated water less.

What's the point of that? If you're going to wash, just get in the shower.

Makes sense. I don’t even shampoo because I don’t have enough hair, so the head gets bodywash as well. Shaving is purely something for the neck and hairline, which is a quick job. It takes 8 minutes to shave my head once a week.

It honestly just sounds like a hoe bath.

You’re a hoe bath.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I don’t even shampoo because I don’t have enough hair, so the head gets bodywash as well.
I use four different products on my hair when I wash it, one of which is supposed to sit for ten minutes. I hate washing my hair, it's such an ordeal.

I have an acquaintance who is trans masc, and they said the only way they could get their hair to look more like a guy's hair was to get rid of all their expensive hair products and switch to some dirt cheap all-in-one shampoo. I wish I could do that to get my hair to look how I want.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I use four different products on my hair when I wash it, one of which is supposed to sit for ten minutes. I hate washing my hair, it's such an ordeal.

I have an acquaintance who is trans masc, and they said the only way they could get their hair to look more like a guy's hair was to get rid of all their expensive hair products and switch to some dirt cheap all-in-one shampoo. I wish I could do that to get my hair to look how I want.

Oh, I had that conversation before when my friend was trying to grow facial hair. Blew their mind when I said to trash that fancy beard kit with all of the shampoos and conditioners and oils and bullshit. Needless to say, they got the results they were looking for when they ditched all the products.

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder
I think my showers are usually less than 10 minutes.. and it would be shorter but I have a lot of hair on my head to shampoo.

I also don't shower every day.

ColoradoAvalancheFanMatt

GW Elder
I shower daily for everybody else’s benefit. I got hit hard by the bad genes and a combination bad diet, I come away quite stinky by the end of a day.

I have, however, switched to doing showers at night, sometimes with a tub soak afterwards. Go to bed clean and clean feeling, wake up a little bit later than I used to showering in the morning, only have to do hair or plop on a hat and deodorant, it’s really nice.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I shower daily for everybody else’s benefit. I got hit hard by the bad genes and a combination bad diet, I come away quite stinky by the end of a day.

I have, however, switched to doing showers at night, sometimes with a tub soak afterwards. Go to bed clean and clean feeling, wake up a little bit later than I used to showering in the morning, only have to do hair or plop on a hat and deodorant, it’s really nice.
I love showering right before bed when I've washed the sheets that day. It feels great.

Had a long-ass night. Had to take my sister's BF into the hospital and just got back a few moments ago. Decided just now, fuck it, I've been up this late, so I might as well have my shower now and save myself the trouble of having one when I get up from my nap.

Plus, playoff hockey is here, so the less time I'm fooling around, the more time I have to myself before game time.

• Hugs
Reactions: TD
I think my showers are usually less than 10 minutes.. and it would be shorter but I have a lot of hair on my head to shampoo.

I also don't shower every day.
Lol gloom is short.

I love showers. I also run cold though. We use stuff from a bulk store, but I'm at 3 products: shampoo, face wash, body wash.

switched to doing showers at night,
I tried going evening showers because it means hopping in the bed clean and thus keeping your bed clean for longer. I can't get to sleep after taking a shower. I run my showers hot and when I get out, my body is an oven. I need to basically remember to shower like an hour before bed if I do that.

Would love to do a soak in the bath, but I have been unable to get the drain plug to work... and the tub is really shallow. I really want a jacuz in my bathroom, but I worry about the cost and the possibility of the tub not fitting through the doorways.
Listen sir! I have to renew my driver's license in person this month and I'll ask them to re-measure my height THEN I'll show you that I'm actually REALLY tall!!
I need to do this too. My license still reads my height from when I was 17. It says 5'11" but I'm almost at 6'1" today.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Listen sir! I have to renew my driver's license in person this month and I'll ask them to re-measure my height THEN I'll show you that I'm actually REALLY tall!!
They measure your height there? They just took my word on it. As a result, my height might be a bit... generous on my license.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
They measure your height there? They just took my word on it. As a result, my height might be a bit... generous on my license.

I can’t remember if they actually measure height or not here…

But I did have my license photo taken while stoned so if I ever got stopped… that’s just how I look normally, don’t make fun of me.

ColoradoAvalancheFanMatt

GW Elder
I tried going evening showers because it means hopping in the bed clean and thus keeping your bed clean for longer. I can't get to sleep after taking a shower. I run my showers hot and when I get out, my body is an oven. I need to basically remember to shower like an hour before bed if I do that.
I had this same issue so I switched to taking a shower when I get home for the last time that night (like if I know I’m going out to dinner I’ll just stay as is), and barring going to a late sports game, it’s worked out pretty well. If I have a late night, I tend to just do a lukewarm shower. I’m racing to bed anyways, so might as well give myself motivation to get out of the shower quicker

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I have the opposite problem. Hot showers make me sleepy, so I have to be careful not to take them right before I want to do something.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I do use random soap as shaving cream while traveling, but that's as far as I go to multi purpose my hygiene products.

If I don’t use regular ol’ foaming Barbasol, regular body wash does a great job at getting a close shave on my neck.

If I don’t use regular ol’ foaming Barbasol, regular body wash does a great job at getting a close shave on my neck.
Barbasol is consistently reliable... and cheap. There's almost no reason to get anything else. I just wish there was a way to make the stuff warm so you can have a warm shave. Since I tend to shave in the shower, the closest I've come is by getting some of the cream out into the shave bowl and let it sit while I shower. The bowl I have it metal, so I can't just nuke it before hopping in the shower.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Barbasol is consistently reliable... and cheap. There's almost no reason to get anything else. I just wish there was a way to make the stuff warm so you can have a warm shave. Since I tend to shave in the shower, the closest I've come is by getting some of the cream out into the shave bowl and let it sit while I shower. The bowl I have it metal, so I can't just nuke it before hopping in the shower.

Put the can in a cup of really hot water, I used to do that up until I kept the beard year-round. Rubber band will prevent it from floating.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
what? you don't use gasoline to shave your pits? not very progressive, if you ask me.
All 2-1 stuff may as well have gasoline for how useless it is for multiple purposes. :tease

I typically use this stuff:
1000006662.jpg

It works well and only takes a tiny amount. A bottle lasts me months. It's also easy to warm up in your hands before applying since it's not aerated and a small volume.

Back
Top Bottom