Court storming and field rushing

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
an experience unique to sports: a dramatic last-second victory and/or improbable upset leaves fans in such a state of exultation that the only thing they can think to do is leave their seats and rush forward en masse to celebrate with the fans, the players, and the security personnel desperately trying to keep anyone from getting hurt. what used to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience that sometimes couldn't even wait until the game was over is now something that happens three times a week, at least in college basketball across the last three months. with a duke star player getting hobbled after wake forest's court-storming over the weekend, more and more people are calling for something to be done about this.

where do you stand? have you rushed the field or stormed the court before? personally, i think there's a lot of nuance to it. for one, field rushing and court storming are two separate beasts. court storming is way more hazardous because it's a way smaller area, but also it's impossible to understate that it's what happens way more often now.

now, i'm old school. i come from the attitude of "act like you've been there before." when unc beat duke in the only unc game i ever ended up going to as a student, i did not want to rush that court. but there were hundreds of people behind me who disagreed with me, so i went out there. it was cool. it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. i don't think it should happen every week. it cheapens everything around it! maybe i hate fun, but the thing is if something happens too much it stops being fun.

where do y'all fall?

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Only when it really, truly means something. Bolton Wanderers avoided relation a few years ago at the literal last minute of the last game of the season, in stoppage time. THAT is a reason to storm the pitch. Winning on a Wednesday? No...

Last edited:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I was surprised when I learned that it hasn’t been banned yet. Granted, I don’t consider myself much of a diehard sports guy, or a college guy, so I think the behavior is kinda silly to begin with. However, purely from a security logistics point of view… with the increasing amount of violence we’ve seen in high school and colleges, it seems kinda counterproductive to allow fans on the court. I understand that bubble-wrapping is also counterproductive, because violence can happen anywhere, but in the setting of a sports event? It just seems like you’re asking for trouble.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I was surprised when I learned that it hasn’t been banned yet. Granted, I don’t consider myself much of a diehard sports guy, or a college guy, so I think the behavior is kinda silly to begin with. However, purely from a security logistics point of view… with the increasing amount of violence we’ve seen in high school and colleges, it seems kinda counterproductive to allow fans on the court. I understand that bubble-wrapping is also counterproductive, because violence can happen anywhere, but in the setting of a sports event? It just seems like asking for trouble.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
It needs to be a particularly special moment. Not just an upset, but a massive upset. And the victory has to be sealed basically right as time expires.

I personally would not do it, because its unsafe for the athletes, but its a cool image and I don't hate it. Assuming its deserved.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I'd say this is similar to throwing stuff on ice in hockey games or flowers at other skating events. Neat, but also kind of a nuisance. Especially if it happens a lot.

I'd leave all this to like levels below college. And at that point let the kids do their thing. All of this is one accident away from someone being trambled to death.

Joseph Snapple

You don't know how to treat the Crypt Keeper!
GW Elder
It needs to be a particularly special moment. Not just an upset, but a massive upset. And the victory has to be sealed basically right as time expires.

I personally would not do it, because its unsafe for the athletes, but its a cool image and I don't hate it. Assuming its deserved.

I will give an up-front "fuck Tennessee, they low down, they dirty, etc."

But them getting their first (and only) win against Nick Saban's Alabama team in over a decade is one of the most justified field rushes I've ever seen.

On the other end of the spectrum, and from this past year, Colorado fans rushing the field after beating a winless Nebraska and a CSU team they were already on a 5 win streak against was some of the trashiest shit I've ever seen.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
On the other end of the spectrum, and from this past year, Colorado fans rushing the field after beating a winless Nebraska and a CSU team they were already on a 5 win streak against was some of the trashiest shit I've ever seen.
Yeah, that's stupid as hell. Unless there's like some other reason like breaking a long standing record even if you're corb stomping a weaker team, maybe then I'd be a tad more understanding. Like I'd understand, but still shake my head.

I feel like it used to be a little more rare, but people want to be a part of everything for clout or to be able to say they lived in that moment, so they are taking any opportunity to do it.

I think it is cool when its justified, like an actual upset or a huge win for a program, but it's too commonplace now that it doesn't feel special anymore.

Back
Top Bottom