PC Counter-Strike 1.6

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
so across several different threads in the forums there has been a fair bit of interest in cracking open cs and giving it another go. however that discussion and planning hasn't really been centralized to one place so i'm making this thread and tagging everybody i remember from the old server

@Tommy Boy @Shadow. @Local Hero @Leandros? @Cole @Scott @majin @Benzine

i might have missed a couple so feel free to tag anyone else. and also of course no pressure if you don't have any interest in playing a 20-year-old game with a bunch of people you haven't hung out with in a decade lol

So I just want to ask: is there any reason we don't want to do CS:GO together? I'm obviously 100% for 1.6, but it sounds like a few of you have experience with CS:GO already and I don't want to eliminate that as an option for us. However if we're trying to hop on the nostalgic gaming train and get back into it, I am totally down. I just never played GO and was wondering of its improvements over source, etc?

In any case, I'm down to acquire server and set up the AMX and whatever again. And we can use someone's discord server that already exists if possible, we're all likely part of a server somewhere, but I think @Cole actually has his own.

Leandros?

GW Elder
Oh you want to actually run a dedi? I guess I could do that on my server, especially 1.6 should eat basically no resources. I have a fiber link and am in the best continent so I can look into it once I get home. I doubt that there's much added value to going for GO (except I guess it's free). You still pew pew, now there's just also a Molotov cocktail and only 1 flash per person

Oh you want to actually run a dedi? I guess I could do that on my server, especially 1.6 should eat basically no resources. I have a fiber link and am in the best continent so I can look into it once I get home.
Yeah if we can get one going without buying one that would be great, if you could handle that. Internet is lightyears better than 15 years ago, so I figure it barely takes any resources to run. If you wouldn't mind, that would be fuckin awesome dude.
I doubt that there's much added value to going for GO (except I guess it's free). You still pew pew, now there's just also a Molotov cocktail and only 1 flash per person
I might just try it out just to see how it is. Especially if it's free.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
I will play CSGO too, but I want full disclosure.

unlike many of you I'm sure, I have played both CSGO and Valorant within the last 2 years. I imagine most of you are very out of practice at these games in general, and I don't wanna ruin people's fun. at least with 1.6 probably none of us have played in like 10 years.

but I'll jump in whatever y'all feel like trying.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
Oh you want to actually run a dedi? I guess I could do that on my server, especially 1.6 should eat basically no resources. I have a fiber link and am in the best continent so I can look into it once I get home. I doubt that there's much added value to going for GO (except I guess it's free). You still pew pew, now there's just also a Molotov cocktail and only 1 flash per person
1 flash is just for casual. comp still has 2, but it's still max 4 nades so some players buy only 1 flash to get a molly.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
So I just want to ask: is there any reason we don't want to do CS:GO together? I'm obviously 100% for 1.6, but it sounds like a few of you have experience with CS:GO already and I don't want to eliminate that as an option for us. However if we're trying to hop on the nostalgic gaming train and get back into it, I am totally down. I just never played GO and was wondering of its improvements over source, etc?

In any case, I'm down to acquire server and set up the AMX and whatever again. And we can use someone's discord server that already exists if possible, we're all likely part of a server somewhere, but I think @Cole actually has his own.
I didn't see this. yes I have my own discord, I actually have 2. one is for "testing" but we could conceivably use that as it's more "private" if so desired.

Leandros?

GW Elder
I totally forgot to set up the server, whoops. Will do tonight provided I remember in my probably drunken state.

Regarding ping, I don't know if it's the network of official servers having sick backbones but I feel like ping has been halved, especially for long distance. I regularly surf in an Aussie server and the latency is <200ms. It was >300 in goldsrc times.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
I totally forgot to set up the server, whoops. Will do tonight provided I remember in my probably drunken state.

Regarding ping, I don't know if it's the network of official servers having sick backbones but I feel like ping has been halved, especially for long distance. I regularly surf in an Aussie server and the latency is <200ms. It was >300 in goldsrc times.
internet infrastructure has just outright gotten better. when I was active in CSGO I was still regularly on EU servers and for the right location. my ping would be lower than it was to the Texas iServer back in the day

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder

just pinged Lees server. From Massachusetts with not the best internet, I average about 114 to his server.

that's about what I pinged to iServer back in the day (after I switched off of dialup). Not awful, not amazing.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I just realized that I did not own CS1.6. Got source, got GO. At least it was still the sale, so I grabbed it for a buck.

Whether I come play or not depends on when y'all are playing and I happen to notice it. I only surfed and played gungame in any CS.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
Sign me up. Local is the last GW person I played CSGO with. We're kind of badass. We're as good as Cole thinks he is.
back in the day, there were a number of people from iServer thst didn't like playing with me because I "didn't like fun" or some bullshit like thst.

after iServer shut down, I kept playing. I played 1.6 until GO came out. I have like 3000 hours of CSGO (okay half of that is KZ)

I'm literally not shooting any one other than Payton.

The server is up and running. Going to have to grab a few more maps from back in the day to make it feel homey again. Leandros has AMX installed but no permissions set yet. I propose holding a vote on the best day and time a majority can make it to play. Unfortunately some people will not be able to make it, but if we start getting some plans going, it'll be easier to have pickup games and stuff.

Any map suggestions or general suggestions in the meantime?

Back
Top Bottom