Nintendo Bowser's Fury (and Mario 3d World) are exactly what I want from a 3d mario and enjoyed them more than Odyssey

I played 3D world a couple years ago and liked it a lot and would have liked a little more to explore within the levels and apparently it was sped up a little bit for switch which made some parts frustrating, but despite liking it I didnt try out Bowsers Fury at the time as I didnt want to burn out.

Started Odyssey a couple weeks ago and it didnt click with me. Mario controls great in it, but thats my only positive. The possession system got old quick, too much on the exploration side and not enough platforming, and was too easy. The kingdoms felt a mile wide but an inch deep (I will admit I only got through the first 5) and there was just no joy in getting a moon. The best/most challenging content seems to be saved until near end game or post game which is horrible design. It's not a bad game, but it isnt what I want from a Mario game. This Joseph Anderson video does a pretty good job of explaining my issues with Odyssey even if I dont agree with everything, I do agree with most of it.

Deciding I still wanted a platforming itch to scratch I started Bowser's Fury.

Bowser's Fury is everything I want. It feels like the 2d mario games with plenty of exploration, but a linear suggestion. It's quick to get around from different islands/worlds and it encourages exploration. The platforming is fun and at times challenging. There are good challenging stars early on too

I feel like this is when Mario is at its best, some challenging stuff mixed in here and there early, like it was in the 2D days. Even SMW which isnt a super hard game, had tough levels early on like first ghost house, the bullet dodging level, and you could get to star road very early. Levels had secret exits, reasons to explore despite the linear nature of the game.

The best parts is when giant Bowser wakens and you have to dodge all his fire, often when you were in the middle of trying to get a shine which made for some frantic platforming moments, you can also fight him as giant cat mario or dodge and wait for him to go back to his slumber.

There are 100 cat shines, you only need 50 to beat the game, so enough to where you can skip most of the hard stuff if you like, but few enough where all the ones you get wont be mind numbingly easy. If I had a complaint it would be the camera, every once in a while it will get stuck and I cant see. I dont think I had this issue in Odyssey

Overall I want more of Bowser's fury, the design is great, the freedom and exploration are fun while also plenty of good platforming. I hope the next main line Mario is more Bowser's fury and less Odyssey

Anyone else like BF and 3d World more than Odyssey?

Haven't played either of them, but I did put a few hours into Odyssey. Started the game, was getting 100% of moons, and then I hit the NYC knockoff. Kinda just stopped playing it. Probably because Kirby came out.
I forced myself to beat it but getting to New Donk City was cool.
Bowser's Fury is everything I want. It feels like the 2d mario games with plenty of exploration, but a linear suggestion. It's quick to get around from different islands/worlds and it encourages exploration. The platforming is fun and at times challenging. There are good challenging stars early on too
Hmm, I am interested now. I wasn't sure if I wanted to try it after Odyssey, but these are the kinds of reviews that convince me to try.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Oh wow, I have an almost opposite view. I absolutely adore Odyssey, I'd say it's my 3rd favorite Mario Game*. But one thing that was a strike against it for you and many (more exploration than platforming) is one main reason.

I loved checking out every nook and cranny of almost every kingdom...but the game is much more of a Collect-a-Thon a la Banjo-Kazooie than a typical Mario game. I am not a MASSIVE Mario fan (was always a Sonic kid), but I can see how it would be disappointing if you were expecting a more classic Mario entry.

3D World is good...but I found the controls to be wanting compared to the incredibly tight Odyssey controls. Still a fine game though.

#1 Yoshi's Island
#2 Super Mario Bros. 3

I loved checking out every nook and cranny of almost every kingdom...but the game is much more of a Collect-a-Thon a la Banjo-Kazooie than a typical Mario game. I am not a MASSIVE Mario fan (was always a Sonic kid), but I can see how it would be disappointing if you were expecting a more classic Mario entry.

3D World is good...but I found the controls to be wanting compared to the incredibly tight Odyssey controls. Still a fine game though.

#1 Yoshi's Island
#2 Super Mario Bros. 3

I do not like collect a thons, I am a sonic kid as well actually

3d world's controls I had issues with too, especially since the switch version was sped up, but Bowser's Fury has none of that

Im in the minority I didnt care for Yoshi's Island, it felt too unstructured and like some giant air craft hanger level similar to a lot of platforms that came from England around that time

SMB3, I will agree with you

I have wanted to play Bowser's Fury for a while. I watched my nephew play it a couple years ago and it looked really fun, but some people have said it's not as great. All the things Quagmire outlined about it sound awesome and just what I'm looking for.

Except I loved Odyssey so much. Mario games are hit and miss with me, though. I didn't care for the Galaxy games, really liked Sunshine and Mario 64. Didn't really care for the New Super Mario Bros... and recently re-beat World on the SNES mini which is my favorite. Super Mario RPG Remake is definitely a day one for me again, but I could use a game in the meantime.

I missed the last sale but if I can get it for like $40 I'll grab it. I'm nearly done with FF16 and don't know what to play next.

Except I loved Odyssey so much. Mario games are hit and miss with me, though. I didn't care for the Galaxy games, really liked Sunshine and Mario 64. Didn't really care for the New Super Mario Bros... and recently re-beat World on the SNES mini which is my favorite. Super Mario RPG Remake is definitely a day one for me again, but I could use a game in the meantime.

I am also similar, I didnt hate the galaxy games, I thought SMG2 was better, but they're both B level games for me. I have more fun with 64 and Sunshine. I was younger, but I liked the challenge in Sunshine where galaxy games were too brain dead other than like the post game and super special stars. I dont want to have to do tons of easy stuff just to get to something that challenges

My favorite part of the 3d games since Sunshine are the pure platforming sections that are usually just in an empty space, they were the fluddless levels in Sunshine. Chef's kiss I'd take an entire game of just those.

I havent gotten into NSMB either, it just isnt what I want in a mario game.

World and SMB3 are very close to for me. SMB3 I think is a more challenging game even with saves (not impossible, but I die a lot more in that than SMW), where SMW has a lot more exploration and secrets, so they both scratch different itches.

I didnt care for SMRPG, it's a C level game for me, gameplay is good, looks pretty, but the story and characters are just flat, sure Mallow and Gano or was it Geno are fine, but not enough to carry an turn based rpg for me. I've always stated that it's a good first rpg for people and that if it werent mario and instead new IP it would be seen more as a hidden gem or underrated type game than one of the best jrpgs on the system

Quagmire, your views on the 3D Mario platformers are almost IDENTICAL to mine. Seriously, the only difference is that I genuinely enjoyed SMG2, but I agree on every single other point.

I always believed there should be a 3D Mario platformer made out of only the secret-style levels in Sunshine. Bowser's Fury is the closest Mario has ever come to that style of platforming gauntlets -- just with an open world connecting them all. It was a real refresher after coming from Odyssey, which I also found was too shallow, easy, and boring.

SMRPG still my favorite game of all time tho

One more for the "couldn't get into Odyssey, love playing 3D Land" gang :D

3D Land is perfect whenever I fancy 15 minutes of Mario, I haven't got bored of it and it's a big old game considering the hard versions of each level feel like entirely new levels a lot of the time. I don't tend to play it for long periods, just nice to do a couple of levels for a quick Mario fix before I go to bed.

Back
Top Bottom