Penguins & Scientists Blood Falls

1688074371435.png

Some of you may already be aware of what's been dubbed "Blood Falls" in Antarctica. What you may not have been aware of is the cause behind it. Actually no one was aware of it because this was only suggested a few days ago.

The thought before was it was some mineral concentration that was doing it. What it turns out to be is actually oxygen rich nanospheres.

What's a nanosphere? A very tiny object (about 1/100 the size of a human blood cell) that is not organized in any way that it could technically be classed as a mineral. Turns out it was so small that people simply did not know to look for them.

Now you may be asking yourself: did Alu just post this thread so he could use the "Penguins & Scientists" tag? Well I can tell you, the answer is a resounding "yes."

You had me at penguins & scientists.

But that's pretty cool!
That was the plan with the thread tag. @Mark asked me to come up with some more, so I wanted to cover all of the areas. Instead of being boring with all of them, this is what Antarctica got.

Just so happens that this was actually a news story from earlier in the week, so it was perfect to try out the new tag.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
That was the plan with the thread tag. @Mark asked me to come up with some more, so I wanted to cover all of the areas. Instead of being boring with all of them, this is what Antarctica got.

Just so happens that this was actually a news story from earlier in the week, so it was perfect to try out the new tag.

I also want to emphasize that I Googled how to abbreviate the areas I wasn’t certain on in an attempt to keep the length of the prefixes down… until I hit that one, which could have been an entire sentence long, and still made the cut.

Back
Top Bottom