• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Best Word

Jawneh

The Courier
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
That used to be my favorite word but then it went too mainstream.

I like underground words. More clandestine words. Like surreptitious.
Finnish has a word for schadenfreude if you still want to use it, but be different.

It's vahingonilo. Exactly the same as it's german counterpart. I'll leave it to you to find out how it is prounced. (Hint: Finnish is a phonetic language.)

*Cracks fingers*
Chouette (cool)
Amicable (agreeable/friendly)
Paisable (pleasant/peaceful)
Gentille (nice)
Tranquille (peaceful)

Any of those? I'm drawing blanks on what else it could be.
I don't think so. I'm starting to doubt if I'd recognize it if I were to see it though. I know for sure it did not have a direct, single word translation to English. I think it was three syllables, but I'm less sure on that one.

I might be able to get in contact with the teacher and ask her. I'll report back if I figure it out.

Jawneh

The Courier
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Do you have a cooler variant of smorgasbord?
Not that I think of. I think everyone everywhere uses smorgasbord as their default.

The closest maybe is "leikkelelauta", but that's more on the vein of a "cold cuts board", or what is more used, "sandwich meat platter".

Not quite the same meaning as smorgasbord, but I guess the closest.

Back
Top Bottom