Angelos Family FINALLY agreeing to sell Orioles.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

For years, the O’s have been trying to rebuild. They had a good run last season, but as an organization, they’ve had to contend with years of neglect by the Angelos family as Peter Angelos grew ill and his sons stepped in to run the business side of things. We’ve heard talks of the team moving for years, up until an agreement was recently reached for a new long-term deal keeping the team in Baltimore. Prior to that, we had shitty season after shitty season simply because the Angelos family didn’t want to invest in the team that had poor attendance. As the team has improved, from the farm system up, interest has grown in the city again. Now that they’ve shown some degree of post-season preparedness, locked in a deal with the city and stadium authority, and have a solid team… this might be a good year for baseball in Baltimore.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Ugh, stingy owners like that can crush a team. It happens a lot in English football, terrible owners that destroy a club with over 100 years' worth of history because of their own self-interests. Sell, sell sell you greedy bastards!

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Ugh, stingy owners like that can crush a team. It happens a lot in English football, terrible owners that destroy a club with over 100 years' worth of history because of their own self-interests. Sell, sell sell you greedy bastards!

It’s mostly family in-fighting with the Angelos’, but, the end result is the same. One brother presumably wants to move the team south, where other investments are being made. The other brother wants to keep the team in Baltimore like his father intended.

Man, I wish the fucking Dolans would sell the Guardians. They're among the richest owners in the league and they invest nothing into the roster. Sure, they spend money on the park and the park experience, but what about shelling out for some better players?

Could it be the same thing as here, where they belief is that they’re dumping all this money into stadium enrichment with the intent of pumping the resale value up while keeping a steady stream of income in the meantime? O’s just opened a brand new multi million dollar training facility in the D.R. to better prospect out of there, which really seems like an odd move for a team with so much talk of selling or moving.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
It’s mostly family in-fighting with the Angelos’, but, the end result is the same. One brother presumably wants to move the team south, where other investments are being made. The other brother wants to keep the team in Baltimore like his father intended.
Typical sibling nonsense. Leave the team where they are. That is one thing about American sports I never did quite get, how a team can just move cities. It's unheard of in the UK, a team is representative of the city, the club is the heart, the soul. Moving is just not done. Wimbledon did this, moved to Milton Keynes, became MK Dons and no one followed them. They're mired in mediocrity in their new home while AFC Wimbledon have slowly but surely climbed the pyramid and are far more popular than the parent club.

...and just to prove I'm a hypocrite, this is coming from a Dallas Stars fan, a team that is the product of relocation.

that is one thing about American sports I never did quite get, how a team can just move cities.
Welcome to the world of American sports franchises; this is why, for example, you'll never see Pro-Rel in MLS.
a Dallas Stars fan
84147022_800x.jpg

North Stars...
the sandlot GIF

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Typical sibling nonsense. Leave the team where they are. That is one thing about American sports I never did quite get, how a team can just move cities. It's unheard of in the UK, a team is representative of the city, the club is the heart, the soul. Moving is just not done. Wimbledon did this, moved to Milton Keynes, became MK Dons and no one followed them. They're mired in mediocrity in their new home while AFC Wimbledon have slowly but surely climbed the pyramid and are far more popular than the parent club.

...and just to prove I'm a hypocrite, this is coming from a Dallas Stars fan, a team that is the product of relocation.

That’s the thing about the O’s, we’ve embraced having a shitty team for all of those years. The city had their back through ALL of the nonsense that happened after Ripken Jr. retired and the last of that generation traded out or also retired. There is serious loyalty to a historically awful team, and only a few cities hold on to their bad teams like that. Other cities tend to let attendance and poor performance kill a team, the only thing that killed attendance here was the atmosphere downtown.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
That’s the thing about the O’s, we’ve embraced having a shitty team for all of those years. The city had their back through ALL of the nonsense that happened after Ripken Jr. retired and the last of that generation traded out or also retired. There is serious loyalty to a historically awful team, and only a few cities hold on to their bad teams like that. Other cities tend to let attendance and poor performance kill a team, the only thing that killed attendance here was the atmosphere downtown.
As a Bolton Wanderers fan, believe me I know the pain. But you stick by your damn team. They're the city's team, not the jackass that owns them's.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Especially 'cause he played for that shit club down the toilet end of the East Lanc Road, the motherfucker.

For non-EPL fans...
-shit club: Manchester United
-toilet end: Old Trafford
-East Lanc Road: the thoroughfare connecting the greatest city in England (Liverpool) to that shithole known as Manchester.
What you need to know about the Northwest of England:

t'north.png

Cam

Slightly Insane

They have the risk of relegation over there, and that makes that a scary investment. You get relegated, all of a sudden you're making a lot less money.

Relegation is an awesome concept from a fan's perspective, but if you're looking to invest in a sports team, I'm sure it's not the most appealing concept in the world. :p

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
They have the risk of relegation over there, and that makes that a scary investment. You get relegated, all of a sudden you're making a lot less money.
That's true, and that's exactly what got a few teams in trouble, my hometown Bolton Wanderers included.
Relegation is an awesome concept from a fan's perspective, but if you're looking to invest in a sports team, I'm sure it's not the most appealing concept in the world. :p
Well it's been the way for generations, embrace it :p

Back
Top Bottom