Active All Alert Issues

Lunar Kreskents

noping in a corner near you
GW Elder
This might be too difficult of request, but I thought I would throw it out there in case someday someone is feeling ambitious.

I vaguely wish I could more easily separate my alerts into 2 group:
  1. "@name replied to the thread"
  2. Mentions, quotes, reactions
#1 is more threads I'm watching, and it's sometimes easy for me to miss or forget about #2 which I may intend to want to get back to someone on, if that makes any sense.

Solution
I've temporarily disabled this add-on until we figure out how to stop it from marking alerts read automatically and not showing the little dot beside it.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
That may even be the better solution here, I'm gonna try that for awhile, thank you!

We will probably end up creating some kind of FAQ for our use of the forums specifically. There is a default one for XenForo, but it doesn’t have nearly as much on it as it should… you’re not the first person to ask about notifications/alerts.

We will probably end up creating some kind of FAQ for our use of the forums specifically. There is a default one for XenForo, but it doesn’t have nearly as much on it as it should… you’re not the first person to ask about notifications/alerts.
I didn’t realize how customizable the alerts were until you pointed it out. I’m happy with my alerts in app now

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
One sort of related thing that could help might be to have some kind of helper/description text on what each of the activity areas are. At first glance it looks like this to me:
  1. Whats new: New posts in any forums, including ones you don't watch?
  2. New posts: Actually I thought this was something else, like new posts on forums I've posted in or something, but I think it just took a moment to get into sync with what's new, so I'm having a hard time telling the difference between What's new & new posts.
  3. Your news feed: Activity on watched threds?
  4. Latest activity: Activity on any threads? Although I'm not entirely sure, right now it looks very close to "your news feed", but other times looks pretty different... Possibly a "replies" rather than "threads" view of either whats new or new posts?
Halp

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I didn’t realize how customizable the alerts were until you pointed it out. I’m happy with my alerts in app now

Hell yeah, earning my imaginary credits one resolved question at a time.

One sort of related thing that could help might be to have some kind of helper/description text on what each of the activity areas are. At first glance it looks like this to me:
  1. Whats new: New posts in any forums, including ones you don't watch?
  2. New posts: Actually I thought this was something else, like new posts on forums I've posted in or something, but I think it just took a moment to get into sync with what's new, so I'm having a hard time telling the difference between What's new & new posts.
  3. Your news feed: Activity on watched threds?
  4. Latest activity: Activity on any threads? Although I'm not entirely sure, right now it looks very close to "your news feed", but doesn't always... Possibly a "replies" rather than "threads" view of either whats new or new posts?
Halp

I could be wrong but “What’s New” used to encompass what you’re subscribed to that you’ve missed since your last visit.

New posts on the other hand used to show the forum’s newest posts, in most recent order.

Your news feed should be things you are subscribed to, whether they’d be subscribed threads or new threads you haven’t yet posted in in a subscribed forum.

Latest activity you have the correct idea on. It’s just a presentation difference from the others.

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
Hell yeah, earning my imaginary credits one resolved question at a time.

I could be wrong but “What’s New” used to encompass what you’re subscribed to that you’ve missed since your last visit.

New posts on the other hand used to show the forum’s newest posts, in most recent order.

Your news feed should be things you are subscribed to, whether they’d be subscribed threads or new threads you haven’t yet posted in in a subscribed forum.

Latest activity you have the correct idea on. It’s just a presentation difference from the others.
I see I see

Man there's a lot of sections. There's also your threads, threads with your posts, unanswered threads, watched forums, watched threads. I'm remembering now why I defaulted initially to the alerts page only. Is there a page you find most useful to look at?

Edit: I see New posts actually has a filter dropdown with
  • Unread threads
  • Watched content
  • Threads in which you've participated
  • Threads you've started
  • Unanswered threads
so maybe I'll try that page.

I see I see

Man there's a lot of sections. There's also your threads, threads with your posts, unanswered threads, watched forums, watched threads. I'm remembering now why I defaulted initially to the alerts page only. Is there a page you find most useful to look at?

Edit: I see New posts actually has a filter dropdown with
  • Unread threads
  • Watched content
  • Threads in which you've participated
  • Threads you've started
  • Unanswered threads
so maybe I'll try that page.
This is how I set mine up
IMG_7138.jpeg

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I see I see

Honestly, I go straight for the bolt at the top. It takes me right to the newest posts in every forum, and I use the bell to go through my notifications in order since it changes the background as I make way through them… leaving unread ones visibly different.IMG_2813.jpeg

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
This is how I set mine up
I think my alerts are good now, though now that general replies are no longer in alerts page, I need to select a new place to look at them. Before I was doing something not very efficient going between alerts page and the front page and what's new kind of at random.
Honestly, I go straight for the bolt at the top. It takes me right to the newest posts in every forum, and I use the bell to go through my notifications in order since it changes the background as I make way through them… leaving unread ones visibly different.
If only I weren't ADHD I wouldn't click on things at random and then decide to come back later and forget to mark it back as unread before eagerly randomly clicking on something else that caught my eye :LOL: Looks like alerts and what's new though, so maybe I'll try that combo for awhile.

Thanks ya'll!

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
If only I weren't ADHD I wouldn't click on things at random and then decide to come back later and forget to mark it back as unread before early randomly clicking on something else that caught my eye :LOL: Looks like alerts and what's new though, so maybe I'll try that combo for awhile.

Thanks ya'll!

Oh, yeah… you’re fucked, because one way or another, it’ll never look “perfect” then… as soon as you think you’ve got it right, then some bullshit notification will come through and make you second guess the whole setup you have.

…yeah, been there, done that, waiting for the cycle to repeat itself.

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
Ohhhh Your News Feed is only content from users you follow
What's New = New posts page (xenforo default of any unread threads?) + New profile posts page
New Posts page is really a filter page rather than feed per say, where default is any unread threads but you could make it something else.

If only I weren't ADHD I wouldn't click on things at random and then decide to come back later and forget to mark it back as unread before eagerly randomly clicking on something else that caught my eye :LOL: Looks like alerts and what's new though, so maybe I'll try that combo for awhile.

Thanks ya'll!
I just got diagnosed a few years ago. Started on strattera about a week ago. It’s helping somewhat

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
I just got diagnosed a few years ago. Started on strattera about a week ago. It’s helping somewhat
"Congratulations" on getting diagnosed! That's interesting to hear. Strattera literally changed my life, partly because it ended up unintentionally treating something else obscure and partly because I could actually remember things and have an inner voice!

That said, I've heard a lot of people have a bad time with Strattera too, also for me it took at least the 6 weeks (and seemed like it continued to change subtly for like 3 months even) for the ADHD specific improvements (right away for the non-ADHD specific improvements).

I also take methylphenidate.

"Congratulations" on getting diagnosed! That's interesting to hear. Strattera literally changed my life, partly because it ended up unintentionally treating something else obscure and partly because I could actually remember things and have an inner voice!

That said, I've heard a lot of people have a bad time with Strattera too, also for me it took at least the 6 weeks (and seemed like it continued to change subtly for like 3 months even) for the ADHD specific improvements (right away for the non-ADHD specific improvements).

I also take methylphenidate.
I’m only doing online appointments so I cannot get any stimulants. I think I need a higher dose of the strattera, but I haven’t had many adverse effects so far, so that’s good. I did a year of Wellbutrin first and had almost every side effect for the first month and it was awful… especially because it didn’t even help

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
That's super interesting. Everyone I've talked to in real life who has tried Stattera said they hated it and had terrible side effects. I had almost no side effects, and I started feeling better immediately, like within the hour, which is not how it's supposed to work.

I also tried Wellbutrin, which everyone I've talked to but one other person said they had no issues and barely noticed it if at all. By contrast, I can only describe my wellbutrin experience as what imagine it might feel like to have schizophrenia. Lights got so bright I couldn't even look at a computer screen let alone read anything. I became fixated on visual patterns and literally could not pull my eyes away, and they would start warping like I was on psychedelics or something which was freaky and dizzying. I started hearing voices that weren't there and waking up in the night to voices. I was sure people were watching me in the night. This all happened within a week, I'm not even sure I took it the full week and it was half the target dose. Took another week or so to fully wear off. Man, am I glad I did not get stuck that way, literally thought I was losing my mind, and I have never had hallucinations before.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Is it just me who finds it annoying that clicking the Alert bell a second time brings you to the all alerts page instead of just closing the drop down? Even though I know I can't close it by clicking it again, I still subconsciously keep clicking it and having it bring me to a different page. The bottom of the drop down already has a link to all alerts, so is it useful for clicking the bell again to bring there as well? Does anyone even ever go to the all alerts page? Is this just a me problem?

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Clicking the bell again for me closes the drop-down (mobile, default template). I do use the all alerts page sometimes, but I've always used the link at the bottom. That's the most convenient place for the link anyway, since I realize I need to go to the full page when I get to the end of the alert list and want to see more.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Ok, I've re-enabled this add-on in hopes it might now successfully work having resolved the auto-mark as read issue we were having. We'll leave this running for a little bit to be sure, but fingers crossed it's solved.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
It's a common problem that my alerts will be filled with either Wolf replies or reactions to my cat pictures or similar. I don't want to unfollow those threads because I do want those alerts, but I also would like to be able to go back and follow up on unread alerts that get lost. Is there any way to filter/sort alerts so I can easily find the unread ones?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It's a common problem that my alerts will be filled with either Wolf replies or reactions to my cat pictures or similar. I don't want to unfollow those threads because I do want those alerts, but I also would like to be able to go back and follow up on unread alerts that get lost. Is there any way to filter/sort alerts so I can easily find the unread ones?

What theme are you using? I’m on the dark one, and when I hit “show all” on my notifications, it shows all of my unread content in a different shade regardless of how far back it goes.

IMG_4330.jpeg

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
This was something I was looking into before...not sure why I didn't finish sorting this. I have an add-on installed that should, theoretically, make this work. I will tinker with it and hopefully that'll solve it!

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I've activated the add-on that SHOULD make this work properly, so alerts should be grouped with unread at the top of the alerts list. Fingers crossed!
I have exactly one unread at the top, and I feel like there are probably others I missed, but maybe I checked the threads at some point so they got marked read.

The opposite happens on the default theme on desktop. The notification is super dark (relative what it was before), and then gets lighter. Though not as light as the previously viewed notifications, and there's an obvious line break separating what should be new and what's old. 🤔

(minus the super dark coloration since I already clicked)
notifications.pngnotifications2.png

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
That's why we uninstalled it the first time, damnit. It marks alerts read that aren't read. Ok, sorry about that, uninstalled again, back to normal. Need another solution.

Back
Top Bottom