AEW Continental Classic

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I've been a pretty big fan of AEW from day 1. I have maybe missed 1 or 2 episodes of Dynamite in total during the existence of the company, and I've watched almost every single PPV.

But there for a couple months it was starting to feel a little stale to me. Outside of a couple storylines, nothing was really connecting with me.

Then the Continental Classic started and it couldn't have come at a better time.

This tournament has been a great example of what I wanted out of AEW from the start. A focus on legitimately great matches, each with their own stories to tell, and plot lines that act as a through-line between different matches. Obviously the intent was to do an American take on the G1, and it has largely delivered.

What I did not expect, and what caused me to make this thread, is the absolutely captivating post-match promos that they've posted on social media (and occasionally shown on TV thereafter). I kind of expected this out of a Jay White, who routinely crushed these kind of promos in New Japan's post-show dressers, but after the first couple shows, almost every other competitor has gotten in on the action.

Even typically silly characters like Daddy Magic have gotten in on the drama:

Now it's certainly not a perfect product. The winner is going to get a title to defend...but then has to put it up again next year in the tournament? Weird.

BUT this is the exact kind of thing I want out of AEW. Looking forward to it being a yearly tradition.

As much as I like to slag AEW - in particular Tony Khan and the Young Bucks - I will give them props and this is one time they've earned said props. I especially love how the Mad King, Eddie Kingston, put up both his RoH World Champion and NJPW Strong Open Weight titles on the line for this tournament.

Can you imagine Vinnie Mac letting his wrestlers put their titles on the line in a tournament such as the Continental Classic?

As much as I like to slag AEW - in particular Tony Khan and the Young Bucks - I will give them props and this is one time they've earned said props. I especially love how the Mad King, Eddie Kingston, put up both his RoH World Champion and NJPW Strong Open Weight titles on the line for this tournament.

Can you imagine Vinnie Mac letting his wrestlers put their titles on the line in a tournament such as the Continental Classic?
No I can't but WWE is far more storyline driven while AEW is focused more on wrestling

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
It kills me that Vince always shied away from tournaments because when they tried, they did some fun stuff.

Sure the actual wrestling content of the Deadly Games tournament was dog shit (I can't stand 3-4 minute matches) but the way the story played out with the Rock turning corporate was fun as hell IMO.

No I can't but WWE is far more storyline driven while AEW is focused more on wrestling
Ditto for the NWA even if Billy Pumpkins thought Tyrus of all people should be the NWA Worlds Champion (which he was for about 9-10 months, which he won via. a three-way agst. Matt Cardona and Trevor Murdoch, both of whom were far better strap holders than that large blubbered Fox News-talking hack of a wrestler Tyrus).

Billy Pumpkins is a nickname I can get behind. It's simply  smashing.
I have a few nicknames I use to describe people....
-Billy Corgan: Billy Pumpkins
-Tony Khan: Jacksonville Dixie
-Triple H: Vince's Adopted Son
-The Young Bucks: The Cucamonga Kids, the Jackasses of Jacksonville
-Tyrus: the Blubberin' Hack

...etc., etc., etc.,...

Billy Pumpkins is a nickname I can get behind. It's simply  smashing.
OIP.9R_sr8qv9LpYEFZ73UFEZAHaEK

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Yeah those ones go way too far, even if you believe they're dirt bags they're not on that level.

Oh I see a lot of Pepsi Phil for CM Punk
Yeah Vince is just a rapist, not a Nazi.

I'm guessing the HHH one is because of all the iron crosses he used to wear.

Pepsi Phil has always been a good one.

Yeah Vince is just a rapist, not a Nazi.

I'm guessing the HHH one is because of all the iron crosses he used to wear.

Pepsi Phil has always been a good one.
Yeah I can only assume that's where they get the HHH one from

Don't get me wrong, I think Vince is vile in his personal life

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Overall I enjoyed the show but I think from top to bottom it might have been the weakest AEW PPV.

Considering I have found literally ALL of them to be at the worst VERY GOOD, I'm not saying it was bad by any stretch...but it was my least favorite.

1. Willow Nightengale vs Kris Statlander

I normally really like both of these ladies but this match didn't do much for me. No heat. **

2. 20 Man Battle Royal

A couple fun spots. A lot of trouble going over the top rope. The most predictable of outcomes. Really wish someone like Trent would have won to have something new to look forward to in 2024. **

3. HOOK vs Wheeler Yuta (my son's most hated wrestler)

I enjoy HOOK matches. I enjoy Taz on commentary on HOOK matches. ***

4. Claudio/Dragon/Briscoe/Garcia vs Switch/Lethal/Brody/Rush

Pretty much what you'd expect from the talent involved with no real ongoing storyline. *** 1/2

5. Miro vs Andrade

I enjoyed this a lot more than the dead live crowd did. Glad CJ is fine after her recent health scare. Give me more Miro/CJ because their interactions feel real. *** 1/2

6. "Timeless" Toni Storm vs Riho

Not tired of Toni's shenanigans yet. Riho felt like she was going through the motions. ***

7. Swerve vs Dustin Rhodes

1000001973.jpg

Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France

Swerve is probably my favorite wrestler right now. Match should have been called off after he shattered Dustin's ankle but some vets always gotta put themselves over in defeat. ** 1/2

8. Jericho/Guevara/Sting/Darby vs Big Bill/Big Hobbs/Big Takeshita/Little Ricky

Fuck this match. Fuck Ricky taking the fall. Fuck Jericho. * 1/2

9. Julia Hart vs Abadon

Nice that TK let Abadon on TV outside of October. Julia needs to trust in the distance of her moonsault more. **

10. Adam Copeland vs Christian Cage

Was not expecting to get as invested in the match as I ended up. Total WWE Main Event style match, but in the best possible way. ****

11. Adam Copeland vs Christian Cage (Again)

LMAO

12. Eddie Kingston vs Jon Moxley

Fuuuuuck yes. This is my shit. **** 1/4

13. Samoa Joe vs MJF

JOE. JOE. JOE. JOE. ****

Looks like our ratings of the show are pretty close together. I was mostly a half star lower than you.

That devil reveal, that just doesn't make sense. Why would Cole be doing all that if the only titles they got are the ROH Tag Titles that he already holds??? Don't get me wrong Joe as champ makes me happy but that's just illogical.

Swerve match should have finished about 5 mins sooner.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Looks like our ratings of the show are pretty close together. I was mostly a half star lower than you.

That devil reveal, that just doesn't make sense. Why would Cole be doing all that if the only titles they got are the ROH Tag Titles that he already holds??? Don't get me wrong Joe as champ makes me happy but that's just illogical.

Swerve match should have finished about 5 mins sooner.
I think there's a few ways they could go to easily explain Cole's motivations. I'd personally go with something along the lines of the fact that he couldn't beat Max so he was trying to destroy who he was to remove him from the picture altogether. Especially if he decides to focus on Joe next.

But also there's the fun thing that the very first person the Devil attacked was Jay White, who has claimed credit for putting Cole on the shelf with the concussion he suffered at Forbidden Door.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Hmm yeah, I mean I can see it working but it just seems a bit illogical overall. If they've been after MJF then the natural inclination is you should want the title.
Yeah. Could also see them coming after Joe next.

From what I heard about the original plan of the title lineage, this would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom