3D Mario Games

1. Super Mario 64 -- the OG for a reason. No 3D Mario game has had such a variety of movement options as WELL as an ideal environment to make the most use out of them. Best Hub World, too.
2. Bowser's Fury -- Really fun open world-style Mario game. Lots of micro platforming challenges and puzzles scattered throughout the whole map. Kind of like Odyssey, but more verticality, and less distance between fun stuff. And more challenge! No dull "gimme" shines.
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- Like Mario Galaxy 2, but better. No dull, tedious hub world to traverse, just straight focus on fun and creativity. It really feels like Mario Galaxy was Nintendo panning for gold, and with Mario Galaxy 2 they had sifted out all the dirt and grit. It's more challenging, and adding Luigi and the green stars was a great way to add a bit of replayability to the game.
4. Super Mario 3D World -- the movement felt a little bit stiff at times -- I hated the way that momentum never really "built", but rather a higher speed "unlocked" after running for long enough. It was kind of annoying, and the first time I played this game, it was kinda eh for me. But when I returned to it years later, I realized I really enjoyed the levels -- they were fun, engaging, and, for the most part, pleasant to run through at top speeds.
5. Super Mario Sunshine -- Pros and cons. Beautiful environments, great hub, and some fun shines, but a lot of tedious, unfair, and obnoxious shines. Blue coins boooo. Secret levels yay!
6. Super Mario Galaxy -- The orchestral music really gives SO much to this game. It felt amazing flying between planets and playing with gravity by long-jump launching yourself around a small planetoid for 3 or 4 rotations. Some of that was unfortunately missing from SMG2... But SMG1 is too easy. There are some novel mechanics, but they're never really taken to the max like in some other games like SMG2 and 3D World.
7. Super Mario Odyssey -- I know it gets a lot of love, but I found it kind of boring. A lot of the challenges were just "walk up to star and get it". I never once experienced the same sort of challenge I did in 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 2, or Mario 3D World. It was just too easy. There were still some tedious stars, a lot of wasted time playing through animations each time Mario gets a star, very few areas in the game that actually benefit from Mario's traversal, etc. Using the hat to "capture" different enemies never really lived up to its full potential and kind of broke up and slowed down the gameplay IMO. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.
8. Super Mario 3D Land -- more like super mario 3d bland amirite

Back
Top Bottom