• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Xmas gifts

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I mean for me personally I want nothing more than some medical help and a little financial relief, but that doesn't help you, lol. If you have a NAS device maybe you need to fill in some drive slots like I do, so some NAS drives? Guessing that's a no, as well, lol. I know, I'm useless for gifts, as well.

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
A UPS. A little piece of mind for usually $100-200.

(That's a Uninterruptable Power Source for your computer/laptop/monitor/modem/router. Great protection against power spikes and sudden random outages.)

Anything that is slightly nicer than you would normally buy yourself. Like a nice hat, gloves, scarf, socks, beanie, etc. Normally the slightly higher price tag prevents you from buying, but is appreciated when given as a gift. Usually you don't think about needing or wanting it, but love it afterwards. At least IMHO.

Get their favorite drink or food item. Not really special or meaningful, but a good cop out.

If they like a specific show/movie/anime/game, maybe fins something on Displate?

I was once part of a secret Santa at work, and the gift I received was a wool hat. I'm pretty sure the person didn't know anything about me, but it ended up being one of the best gifts I've ever received because I went to return it, and while waiting in line, I saw fingerless gloves. I got those with my return and used them religiously for years.

It's one of those things that sounds dumb, but once you try them, it's a game changer. I would use them at the office throughout the entire winter months, and then pretty much all evening at home. You can use them anytime on the computer or while gaming. If you're always cold (like me), they're a game changer. The only problem is that I had no idea how to wash them and ended up ruining them by putting them in with my other laundry.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Sandra Bullock Comedy GIF

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder

(That's a Uninterruptable Power Source for your computer/laptop/monitor/modem/router. Great protection against power spikes and sudden random outages.)
Ok this answer blows my mind! Do you have a preferred brand or... whatever for a UPS? I definitely think this would be something that my husband would like to receive for xmas.

I don't have any personal recommendations since I'm trying to minimize how much stuff I get. Last xmas, my husband got us concert tickets to my favorite band! Unbeknownst to him, I had already gotten us tickets during pre-order but I gave him lots of credit for trying

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Ok this answer blows my mind! Do you have a preferred brand or... whatever for a UPS? I definitely think this would be something that my husband would like to receive for xmas.
There's probably many nice ones, but the two brands I've heard of myself are Cyberpower and APC. Here's links for both on Amazon.

APC UPS 1500VA UPS Battery Backup and Surge Protector, BX1500M Backup Battery Power Supply, AVR, Dataline Protection https://a.co/d/6FxqNfc

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD3 Intelligent LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 12 Outlets, 2 USB Ports, AVR, Mini Tower, Black https://a.co/d/7EFNcQY

Which one do I recommend? Errr, good question. The first one has been bought more. Second one looks neater? I'd say they both do the same thing and are basically spec'd the same. Flip a coin? Go by looks? Spill the beans and ask if he has a preference lol?

Anything that is slightly nicer than you would normally buy yourself. Like a nice hat, gloves, scarf, socks, beanie, etc. Normally the slightly higher price tag prevents you from buying, but is appreciated when given as a gift. Usually you don't think about needing or wanting it, but love it afterwards. At least IMHO.

Get their favorite drink or food item. Not really special or meaningful, but a good cop out.

If they like a specific show/movie/anime/game, maybe fins something on Displate?
i can get work to get me a ups type thing so i probs won't ask this

then it looks like you're suggesting gifts for others, i want to know about stuff you'd want for yourself, because i struggle to come up with gifts for myself. last year i got a weighted vest and a new shaver for my head.
Cash money

But I'll ask for books, tea, a mug or two and maybe a new tie for work

this is definitely more about buying gifts than just giving cash money. for quite a long while we didn't really do presents but now everyone is in a bit more of a position to buy gifts so we're trying to have fun like that.

I was once part of a secret Santa at work, and the gift I received was a wool hat. I'm pretty sure the person didn't know anything about me, but it ended up being one of the best gifts I've ever received because I went to return it, and while waiting in line, I saw fingerless gloves. I got those with my return and used them religiously for years.

It's one of those things that sounds dumb, but once you try them, it's a game changer. I would use them at the office throughout the entire winter months, and then pretty much all evening at home. You can use them anytime on the computer or while gaming. If you're always cold (like me), they're a game changer. The only problem is that I had no idea how to wash them and ended up ruining them by putting them in with my other laundry.
i am the hottest person going

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
then it looks like you're suggesting gifts for others, i want to know about stuff you'd want for yourself, because i struggle to come up with gifts for myself. last year i got a weighted vest and a new shaver for my head.
Those are actually all things I'd like. Both the wife and I could use a UPS for sure, I'm pleased to get good quality clothing items, food is always close to my heart (metaphorically, though also probably clogging arteries), and Displate stuff are cool as hell.

In general, I'm the guy who just gets things when I want something. I'm hard to shop for in general thanks to that. Usually I just tell folks not to worry about it anyways. The thought it enough for me.

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
first thought: computer parts. I've been wanting to upgrade my computer for awhile now. You can't expect someone to gift you the more expensive stuff, but some of the parts are within gift giving range.

Second thought: I have a guilty pleasure...I watch QVC on TV when I am just doing something and have the TV on. IMO they do a good job presenting things you never would have thought of. Check out the website for ideas. I just got this thing recently:

Food I only get once a year during Christmas is good too.

Edit: my uncle used to work for the Vermont Country Store, a huge majority of their revenue is Christmas. All sorts of ideas and foods here too: https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/

this is definitely more about buying gifts than just giving cash money. for quite a long while we didn't really do presents but now everyone is in a bit more of a position to buy gifts so we're trying to have fun like that.

Im very logical here, if it is people of equal financial standing, like my wife and I, I rather just buy my own gifts/or not exchange. I give a list of things I want, but even then the other person maybe hits the price we agreed upon but isnt as efficient as I might have been. Perhaps she buys me a few of the more expensive things where I might have bought more of the lower priced stuff to get more stuff.

I also think back to the christmas I bought a ps4 pro. I spent like $150 on my wife, she same on me. I spent $150-200 on my parents and they similar on me. So even if we spent the same and got the same cash value in gifts, and I got close to the equivalent cash value in ps4, I wasnt able to get what I wanted because it was outside anyone's singular budget. So then I got to go out and buy the PS4 on top of what I spent on others.

I also find Im more often than not a little let down in gifts other people get me if it isnt on my list.

Now my son, love spending and buying gifts for him, but outside of that, lets skip the middle man and get our own gifts.

I know its kind of a weird stance, but it is my stance. Also why I dont do secret santas at work. More often than not I can get myself something better than what I will receive. Also since my wife and I share finances it finanically isnt any different than buying my own gift and I want to get the max value out of our/my money

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Anything I want for myself, I typically buy it. Some stuff I can't be arsed to buy for myself, so I give those to my wife as gift ideas. I remember I asked her for a basting brush because I didn't feel like going out of my way to find one for myself. She thought that was hilarious, but I use it like every week. I asked her for a blender this year because the one I always use is starting to turn to shit. I also asked her for clothes because I hate clothes shopping and she has good taste.

Basically I ask for practical stuff that I wouldn't bother buying for myself because I can make do without, but it would be nice to have. Any luxuries I typically buy for myself, so she never gets me games.

Is there anything consumable or that is worn out that you'd like? Food, booze, socks, shoes, pillows, etc? What about experiences, like a massage? Do you have anything you like but has become broken or worn and needs repaired?

IMO if somebody has to ask you what to get you, it defeats the purpose. They should know you well enough to notice you needing or wanting something. The whole point of giving gifts is to show you put the care and effort into figuring this kind of thing out.

For instance, I don't like coffee but do like hot cocoa, and one year my mom got me a thing to heat up milk for cappuccinos (or whatever, idk coffee terms). It works great for making hot cocoa! It heats milk perfectly with a push of a button and can even make a foamy milk topping. It's a thing I didn't even know existed, but I used it until it fell to pieces. That is what people should aim for when giving a gift. If you're just buying each other stuff off your Amazon wishlists, what's the point?

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder
For instance, I don't like coffee but do like hot cocoa, and one year my mom got me a thing to heat up milk for cappuccinos (or whatever, idk coffee terms). It works great for making hot cocoa! It heats milk perfectly with a push of a button and can even make a foamy milk topping. It's a thing I didn't even know existed, but I used it until it fell to pieces. That is what people should aim for when giving a gift. If you're just buying each other stuff off your Amazon wishlists, what's the point?
Scusi! That sounds like something I want in my life. Is there a brand that you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom