• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

YouTube Wish I'd Had This Kind of Exposure To Another Culture In School

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Imagine being able to not just sample another culture, but get this immersed in it thanks to someone that really knows it? That would've been fantastic as a school kid, helps you envision life on a grander scale than just the bubble we all grow up in.

(playlist is sadly in reverse order, but the videos still work no matter what order you watch them)

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Remind/teach me, Crystal, where did you grow up?
Well that's complicated, I didn't really grow up in any singular place. I was born in Bolton, England and lived in several places inside the UK, but primarily went to school in Downend, Bristol in Gloucestershire. Spent time in Finland, then back to the UK, then over to the US where I went to school in Fayetteville Arkansas for a year, then Plano, Texas and then Phoenix, AZ is where I wrapped up my primary education.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Worse than going from there to South Carolina, I imagine. But I do have some idea of what you went through, for sure.
Yeah, Arkansas is exactly what you think when you picture the term "The South." Beautiful place, undeniably, but the people and the viewpoints expressed? Eeeeeeeeek!

redneck GIF

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Yeah, Arkansas is exactly what you think when you picture the term "The South." Beautiful place, undeniably, but the people and the viewpoints expressed? Eeeeeeeeek!

redneck GIF
The south in general feels like it's a few decades behind the rest of the world. At least to me.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
The south in general feels like it's a few decades behind the rest of the world. At least to me.
Vampire Yes GIF by Olivia Rodrigo

The ignorance, the blatant racism...holy hell.

I will give credit to Texas, for all their politics are fucked beyond belief, Texas was a great place to live. If I weren't everything they actively hate, lol, I'd go back there.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Didn't you go somewhere rural as well? I'm sure somewhere like Charleston would be a bit better.
Yeah, basically. It was about a 30 minute drive to any town, and it was 80% sand roads.

I was relatively close to Columbia, but anywhere outside of the city is entirely different.

Screenshot_2024-07-21-11-47-30-13_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Spent 6 years living right next to a a chicken farm, run by my ex's step-dads brother, who he was fueding with. Go figure. Smelled like Death when the wind changed though.

IMG_20240721_114510.jpg

Back
Top Bottom