• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Who is your mobile carrier?

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder
So my phone network has been acting wonky as of late.. and it made me realize that at 36, I have NEVER been on my own phone network.

I went from my parents (high school)
To my boyfriend's (college)
Then back to my parents (post-break up)

And everyone is like "wait you're not on a family plan with your partner..?" No, it's never really come up as a need I guess?

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching networks.

Tell me what network you're on, how long you've been on it, how much you pay and if you like it

Thanks!

I'm on a 4-way AT&T plan with my wife, father, and brother. For four lines, we pay a total of $280/month for unlimited everything without throttling, and I live in a very healthy wireless area. Technically, the service is $180/month but we each pay about $28-31/month extra per line to pay for the actual phones through their NextUp program (Pay for device monthly, upgrade early after 18 months to newest model).

I think we overpay for what we have, but my dad is really comfortable keeping things the way they are so we just do this lol

I've had Verizon since 2005. I had T-Mobile before, but when I moved from Chicago to Milwaukee, I suddenly had awful reception, so I needed to switch. Haven't had any issues with Verizon until I got to Saint Louis in 2021. Saint Louis has a LOT of really annoying dead zones with Verizon. I don't really want to switch, because STL has mostly been an outlier. I don't get spam calls anymore (knocks on wood) and the pricing has been reasonable for me. Did have issues when I got a new phone a couple years ago, but I think that was something that Best Buy fucked up on.

Verizon. Been with them for many many many years at this point.

Other companies are garbage in comparison (in terms of coverage).
This entirely depends on where you live. I live in a decent sized city with lots of tech workers, and Verizon doesn't get signal at my house at all. I once went to a state where the only provider with decent coverage was Sprint, of all things (this was before T-Mobile bought them). I've switched providers after moving a couple of times due to that. All three of the big providers are pretty even in overall coverage, so you need to check with people in your area to see who has the best coverage near you.

I have T-Mobile and really like it. I've used both AT&T and Verizon in the past.

I pay $80 (including taxes and fees) a month for two lines with unlimited everything. I got the plan before 5g existed, and the plan was discontinued before it came out, but they still gave me unlimited 5g data once that became a thing. Other providers used that as an excuse to get people off of grandfathered plans. I was also able to buy an add-on online for international coverage for $15 a month. Was super easy, again let me do it on a discontinued plan, and I get unlimited texting and 5GB of 5g data in almost every country. I can just as easily turn it back off when I don't need it anymore. The base plan includes service in Canada and Mexico, but with some limits IIRC. Other providers may be similar here, I've never traveled internationally with any other provider.

When I had AT&T and wanted to stick with a cheap, discontinued plan, they did everything they could to get me off of it. I knew somebody on Verizon who couldn't get a new phone unless they got off their discontinued plan. T-Mobile goes out of their way to make sure I can keep my plan if I'm happy with it (which I am).

I buy unlocked phones directly through manufacturers instead of upgrading through my provider (providers often add a custom OS with extra junk and delayed updates), so I can't comment on that. I don't even tell T-Mobile I'm getting a new phone. I want to say when I did that with Verizon, they charged me a fee to activate the new phone. I remember Verizon charging me a lot of fees. That's never happened with T-Mobile.

I've also had much better customer service from T-Mobile than Verizon. I always had to wait for ages whenever I went into the store for anything. I liked AT&T customer service, they were always friendly and helpful, but it's been a long time since I was with them.

I personally wouldn't ever to back to Verizon, to the point where I wouldn't move to an area that only had reliable coverage by them. I liked AT&T mostly fine, I only switched away for practical reasons, and I regretted it. My experience with them was from quite a while ago though.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I'm not American, so take this for whatever it's worth.

When I do visit the States, the coverage it picks up on tends to be T-Mobile mostly, and when it's not that - it's Verizon. I'd say about 75:25. Don't know how much you travel but that might help with coverage.

...I've also learned that Canadian cell phone plans are too expensive.

I'm not American, so take this for whatever it's worth.

When I do visit the States, the coverage it picks up on tends to be T-Mobile mostly, and when it's not that - it's Verizon. I'd say about 75:25. Don't know how much you travel but that might help with coverage.

...I've also learned that Canadian cell phone plans are too expensive.
Isn't like everything in Canadaland super expensive?

• Hide the Pain
Reactions: TD
Google Fi. Been on it for a long as hell time. I've had service everywhere, including international. It's pay for data with a max cap for price but not data (if you use more than 6GB you don't pay extra).

I think I average about $35 a month because I'm also normally on WiFi.
What towers does Google Fi use? I've heard good things about them, but forgot they existed when I posted.

wtf

That's over 7 bucks here in the US. I'd have to double check, but I don't think I've seen a gallon of milk cost that much here unless you're in HI, AK, or NYC. Maybe San Fran.
Everything here is super expensive, and it's gotten worse the past 4 years since the pandemic. It's also the consequence of price fixing here in Canada collaborated by our grocery chain.

• Agree
Reactions: TD
Back
Top Bottom