• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Movies The Remarkable Life of Ibelin

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

What an interesting story. Does this guy remind you of anything? Thought this was the perfect forum to discuss.

@Crystal @Ben @Mark @Kat and might try to tag others later.

Out on Netflix soon.

That was an amazing read, and I’ll definitely be checking out the documentary when it releases. I love watching stuff like this even if it’s tragic, because as sad as it is, it also shows a beautiful side of humanity that we don’t really get to see too often online because of the egos and personalities.

It does absolutely remind me of every single time we’ve lost a member of the community over the years. As big as GW was back in the day, it inevitably happened multiple times, and every single time the community rallied behind each other after the loss. One of the last times I recall being around for a member’s death was a member that went by “Beha”, his name was Shaun Pleima and he was killed in a DUI accident after letting a young woman drive his Jeep. He was a few years younger than me, but, he was so involved in the forums and in-touch with the community that people loved the guy, and eventually him and I worked together on a couple forums outside of GW. Like so many other people here, I had the privilege to get to know him and become friends, and when I found out he had died, it affected me no different than if one of my “real” friends died.

If anything, what you shared in this thread is a good reminder that no one really knows what’s going on “on the other side of your screen” as Al famously had set as his location. Any one of us could end up dead tomorrow, and it serves as a somber reminder that none of us really know when our time is up, that we should make the best out of it… whether it’s here, offline, or inside our own heads.

It does absolutely remind me of every single time we’ve lost a member of the community over the years. As big as GW was back in the day, it inevitably happened multiple times, and every single time the community rallied behind each other after the loss. One of the last times I recall being around for a member’s death was a member that went by “Beha”, his name was Shaun Pleima and he was killed in a DUI accident after letting a young woman drive his Jeep. He was a few years younger than me, but, he was so involved in the forums and in-touch with the community that people loved the guy, and eventually him and I worked together on a couple forums outside of GW. Like so many other people here, I had the privilege to get to know him and become friends, and when I found out he had died, it affected me no different than if one of my “real” friends died.
Yeah, I remember this. Although I wouldn't say I was close "personally" in that sense we did interact a lot on the forums. I was sad when he died but when it came out some time later that she had been drinking, had previous for DUI and had tried to lie her way out of being the driver, that just made me angry.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Yeah, I remember this. Although I wouldn't say I was close "personally" in that sense we did interact a lot on the forums. I was sad when he died but when it came out some time later that she had been drinking, had previous for DUI and had tried to lie her way out of being the driver, that just made me angry.

Yeah, she ended up being convicted and serving a disrespectfully short sentence from what his family shared on Facebook.

Yeah, she ended up being convicted and serving a disrespectfully short sentence from what his family shared on Facebook.
It's tough to say rationally when we know the people involved. She got 10 years and 6 months, which is apparently more than the 7-8 year average as it was not her first DUI. I looked it up and she ended up serving a little under 8 and a half and was released on probation a few months ago.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It's tough to say rationally when we know the people involved. She got 10 years and 6 months, which is apparently more than the 7-8 year average as it was not her first DUI. I looked it up and she ended up serving a little under 8 and a half and was released on probation a few months ago.

See, that’s why I feel it was a disrespectful penalty. You shouldn’t get to lie under oath in a case where someone was killed by your negligence and get the standard penalty, or even close to the standard penalty. Lying in that setting shows that you know you were wrong and afraid of the consequences.

Back
Top Bottom