• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Multi Speed runs you watch

Speedrunning is fascinating. It’s a world of mad dedication to minor accomplishments. My confused respect to any serious speedrunners out there, love you and your community. I’ll watch all sorts of speed runs on Games Done Quick and elsewhere. Often Any% because of their amusing glitch exploits. But my favourite games to watch speedruns tend to be Sonic and Mario and big AAA games. They’re always crazy skilled and they’re often games I’ve played myself. Any games from my childhood are a good bet too, great to see them mastered and broken in novel ways I’d never expect. What about you? Share your favourite speedrunners, games to speedrun and places to watch them.

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Celeste runs are always super entertaining. Especially the TAS runs that completely break the game to insanity. Beyond those, if I happen to know that a specific speedrun of a game is great I'll watch it and if people I know are doing some. There's some members in a Twitch community I'm part of that do some good runs. Couple people have WRs and/or are constantly fighting for it against others and there's also couple people who are good, but really are there to give an entertaining show and amazing energy. Those being NicholeGoodnight and Bathinjan who did Golf It on GDQ. Great characters who are also pretty good at golf.

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Oh, roguelites or any games that have randomly generated maps are great for good speedruns. Instead of having folks who keep on grinding Mario64 to perfect their jumps, movements, etc., in games with random maps you need a more dynamic mentality and way to make snap judgements on how to go about a specific map as fast as possible. Spelunky 1 and 2 are good examples of this.

turkey

gobble gobble
GW Elder
I enjoy watching Super Mario speed runs as it's a game I'm familiar with so can get into it.

A lot of the other games I see speed runs on I'm not familiar with the base game myself so while their skill is impressive I don't find it as fun
I love watching those and then playing (usual #1) and coming up with excuses to why I suck.

That lag on the switch is really holding me back.

I used to watch a lot of AGDQ and SGDQ. I still like them, but I feel like the novelty of it has worn off for me, because I've seen speed runs of the games I really love. Stuff like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are really interesting in the different ways they can sequence break and use randomizers, and I'll always love watching speed runs of just about anything on N64, but I feel like a lot of these games have been pushed to their limits, so I don't need to see too many more speed runs.

That said, I'll give a separate shoutout to Goldeneye. The community around that game is insane, and has been speed running pretty much since the game was released. It's so insanely optimized, and yet, they keep finding more little time saves. They'll grind for 100 hours on a 60-second level. I could not do that, but I'm pretty fascinated by it.

Raine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
GW Elder
I don't really follow gaming through Twitch and such, so I've only watched maybe 5 gameplay streams for less than an hour in total. But I do sometimes look at GDQ videos, I've seen things like The King of Kong, and I quite enjoy listening to one of Summoning Salt's videos every now and again.

a dip goblin

puppy haver
Sucks
10K Post Club
GW Elder
SMB3 and Mario 64 are mainstays for me. I watch most everything Summoning Salt produces though.

I also watch a lot of A Link to the Past Randomizer stuff. Sometimes if I'm especially bored I'll watch Lufia II Ancient Cave runs.

And yeah, when GDQ is up and about I watch a bunch more random stuff. They have great things in there that bring back some memories.

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I also watch a lot of A Link to the Past Randomizer stuff.
Ever watched any multiworld stuff? I've gotten weirdly familiar with super metroid thanks to those even though I only played it as a kid. There's some insane multiworlds out there now between so many games. And that's before you also turn it multiplayer...

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
What’s multiworld?
Multiworld is a multiplayer randomizer between x people where all player's games can have items for the others. You pick up a heart container, that was 20 rupees for your friend. Welp.

Then theres the randomizer where you also beat a second game as well. A Link to the Past and Super Metroid is the stable and I think the first. There are specific loading screens in both games that warp you from one to the other. All the item drops in either game can be found in either one. A missile upgrade in metroid could be the hookshot for alttp. And the full heart from beating the first dungeon could be the wave beam from the other. Now you got two loot pools in two games to worry about.

I believe you can alltp and super metroid multiworlds, but I'm not sure. I just can't remember if I had seen it or if I'm just remembering separate multiwolrd and alttp x metroid runs.

Back
Top Bottom