• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Verdict Snes vs. Sega Genesis

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Genesis is a great console but the SNES won the 16-bit wars hands down, no questions asked. Better action, better platforming, better jRPGs. And as much as I love the distinctly Genesis sound, the Genesis sound chip more often than not sucks ass.

That said, I could be swayed to the contrary if presented with enough satisfactory evidence, so I volunteer to jure.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Excuse me, but aren't we forgetting that Sega does what Nintendon't? I rest my case!

(By that I mean there's no question SNES was better but I love my Sega consoles! All games for all gamers)

miss congeniality GIF

Excuse me, but aren't we forgetting that Sega does what Nintendon't? I rest my case!

(By that I mean there's no question SNES was better but I love my Sega consoles! All games for all gamers)

miss congeniality GIF

Overall I agree Snes is better but it's pretty close, both do things better than the other (if you include Sega CD you get the Lunar Games,sonic CD, snatcher and another shining force)

Aren't we forgetting that only one of these consoles has BLAST PROCESSING™?

I agree about jrpgs, but I think the first two are very debatable and think there is more fun multiplayer fun on the Genesis in the action game realm

miss congeniality GIF
Exhibits A, B, and C for Sega Genesis (yes I'll count a good pun as evidence, damn it!)

Genesis is a great console but the SNES won the 16-bit wars hands down, no questions asked. Better action, better platforming, better jRPGs. And as much as I love the distinctly Genesis sound, the Genesis sound chip more often than not sucks ass.

That said, I could be swayed to the contrary if presented with enough satisfactory evidence, so I volunteer to jure.
I only owned genesis out of the two, but snes had a better game library
Exhibits A and B for the Snes.

Jurors so far: Kat and Smacktard.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Overall I agree Snes is better but it's pretty close, both do things better than the other (if you include Sega CD you get the Lunar Games,sonic CD, snatcher and another shining force)
Sega CD retailed at the price of a full console, and then there's the 32x as well. Is it fair to include those against the SNES? It's kind of like comparing 3 consoles against one. Kind of but not really, since most releases were pretty half-baked.

Sega CD retailed at the price of a full console, and then there's the 32x as well. Is it fair to include those against the SNES? It's kind of like comparing 3 consoles against one. Kind of but not really, since most releases were pretty half-baked.

Not much of value is on the 32x and you cant pay the CD without the genesis. So I dont know. Just something Im throwing out there

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Not much of value is on the 32x and you cant pay the CD without the genesis. So I dont know. Just something Im throwing out there
Fair enough. FWIW I think CD and 32X can be added to Genesis's library. There are actually quite a few decent games on the Sega CD, and even the 32X has a handful of good ones. Overall, I still believe the SNES library beats it, though.

In a couple of months, I'll finally get to play Snatcher and Popful Mail, so maybe my opinion will change.

Fair enough. FWIW I think CD and 32X can be added to Genesis's library. There are actually quite a few decent games on the Sega CD, and even the 32X has a handful of good ones. Overall, I still believe the SNES library beats it, though.

In a couple of months, I'll finally get to play Snatcher and Popful Mail, so maybe my opinion will change.

I adore Snatcher, such a fun game, it has some issues in terms of how interacting works, but its a game originally from the 80s(or early 90s). Policenaughts fixes some of the issues I had with the game play

Jawneh

The Courier
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
It's probably the game library for the snes that takes it for me. The few sonic games and something else random for the Genesis were great though. It wasn't until much later that I found out about bunch more classics for the Genesis though, so I got so much more nostalgia for the snes.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I adore Snatcher, such a fun game, it has some issues in terms of how interacting works, but its a game originally from the 80s(or early 90s). Policenaughts fixes some of the issues I had with the game play
My experience with Snatcher will dictate whether I bother with Policenauts, I think. I hope Snatcher is as good as I've built it up to be in my mind haha.

Gloves off for this one! Old school vidya-games!

This one might get nasty (like even more than the normal kind of nasty when I'm in charge).

Brb taking my Snes in the other room with a bottle of lube. Don't judge me, that's my job.
Has the court even started if you didn't even bang your eggplant?

Snes takes it for me as well! Many fond memories of playing co-op Secret of Mana with my big brother! And many other great games!

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I’m glad I didn’t have to be a juror on this case. I couldn’t make a decision, props to those that persevered and did.

Both consoles were equally formative and special to me. I owned a Genesis, but the rec center at school had an SNES that I used to play on with my friends after school. Solo gaming? Genesis. Gaming with your friends? SNES. That’s the closest I could ever come to making a call.

I am also late

The answer is SNES. Genesis uses a better resolution, and multi-platform games tend to stretch the visuals a bit on the SNES.

But the SNES has more advanced tech. The Genesis' sound chip is AWFUL. Mode 7 for the SNES is a MASSIVE advantage. The FX chip was used for more games, than the special chip Sega used to power Virtua Racing.

The Genesis had a 2-year head start on the SNES and still lagged behind. Sega didn't even really bother to compete with Nintendo until the SNES came out for some stupid reason. The SNES had a massive launch with games that do a fantastic job as showing what the system was capable of, like F-Zero, Pilot Wings, and Super Mario World.

Genesis bested the SNES in sports games, but little else. The Genesis controller(s) are both better and worse. The Genesis 3 button controller kinda forced companies to keep controls simple and easy to learn for the most part, but if you tried playing a game designed around the 6 button controller with a 3 button, you're going to have a difficult time because then controls get complicated. The 6 button controller SHOULD be a better controller for fighting games than the SNES controller because all 6 buttons are face buttons, but the D-Pad is borderline useless in games like Street Fighter 2. The SNES controller has the Genesis controller beat when it comes to any game requring some type of strafing, or any game that requires multiple buttons to be used at the same time as you are never going to be using the same fingers for the face buttons as the shoulder buttons. The addition of a select button next to the start also frees up the start menu of being a button that does everything.

RPGs - SNES
Racing - SNES
SHMUPS - Genesis
Fighting - SNES
Platformers - Tie
Beat em' Ups - Tie
First party games - SNES
Arcade Ports - Genesis (Sega was prevelent in the arcade market)
Sports - Genesis

What I don't really get is that Sega really made usage of z-axis sprite scaling for some of their arcade games like After Burner, Outrun, Space Harrier, and Hang-On, but they didn't really use it a whole bunch on the Genesis to compete with Nintendo's Mode 7 tech. They did do some wizardry with Paralax Scrolling though. Specifically in Ranger X.
Meanwhile, the SNES launched with F-Zero and Pilot Wings which showed off it's Mode 7 abilities.

At least the Genesis has "blast processing" which may or may not have actually been used.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
But the SNES has more advanced tech. The Genesis' sound chip is AWFUL
I think this comes down to personal preference. I think the Genesis sound is unique and beautiful. Green Hill Zone. Nuff said.

There are plenty of games that didn't make great use of the sound chip and ended up sounding like trash. But for every Taz-Mania, there's a Gunstar Heroes.

That is one of my absolute favorite Genesis games, I’d love to see an updated version of the same concept… the ability to combine with the motorcycle and airship was pretty cool back then.
It's hard to play. I have the same multitasking issue with R-Type. Also, that first boss was super annoying. But man, what they were able to do with the graphics on that console is nothing short of amazing.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It's hard to play. I have the same multitasking issue with R-Type. Also, that first boss was super annoying. But man, what they were able to do with the graphics on that console is nothing short of amazing.

That was probably the first game that I ever experienced a glitch on. There was a technique you could use to “grab” onto walls if your jet pack ran out of fuel, and you could “bump” the jet pack to extend the life of the tank dramatically. After you died enough times and learned how to exploit stuff like that, it was a pretty fun game. There was definitely a huge learning curve to it that I didn’t really grasp as a kid but realized pretty quickly when I replayed it years ago.

Back
Top Bottom