• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Multi Small design or gameplay systems that made you quit a game?

What is something kind of small that made you bounce off a game? Im not talking about shitty controls on the whole, but something smaller.

Odin Sphere's inventory system made me drop it. You have an extremely limited inventory, but you can upgrade that. Sounds great, and I did it, but you play as more than one character but no upgrades carry over. I can get that for moves and such, but the inventory system sucks in this game and I didnt want to have to grind to upgrade it with each character.

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Similar to Quaqmire, but with DayZ.

Once upon a time it was fine when they game was still just an arma 2 mod. The stand alone did make things better, but it just feels bad nowadays.

Though seemingly amazing games, I could never get into Mass Effect or Dragon Age games. I think Mass Effect was mostly controls, but partially also billing kind of a cover based shooter, if I remember correctly. At least the one I played seemed like it. Dragon Age was kind of everything from controls, combat, to probably not liking the UI too. My wife adores both series and has played through them all, but I couldn't get over the annoyance I faced.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It depends, because I’ve found that certain aspects I thought were me being a nit-picking dick were actually major gripes that the gaming community had with games, and some that I considered major issues were virtually unheard of when I started complaining to people about them.

One of the first ones that comes to mind is an immersion issue that most people love about certain games that I just can’t stand. I was told for months to check out Elden Ring. I’ve never played any of the Souls games or anything else by that studio, but I was told that I technically didn’t have to in order to understand the game. Wrong. Y’all that have played it know why… I got fucked up by the dude on the horse not far from the spawn point at the beginning of the game. Why, you ask? Because I saw that bastard off in the distance and figured he was alone and would make a good target to learn the controls. Apparently it was a common mistake players made if they simply went the wrong direction. So… why not at least point the player in the right one? Now, I’m well aware that I need to “get gud” and all, but, to start a game off with zero direction and call it immersion just seems silly to me. It’s like playing Pong without being told which side of the screen to look at and having to figure it out on your own. Sure, it can be easily done, but, I always saw that kind of element as a lazy way to immerse the player.

Another issue for me is a complicated or restrictive inventory system. In my opinion, no one does a better job at simplifying a large inventory than Bethesda. Some go the route of making a restrictive system, so you have to make choices early on about what you want to carry. Others go the route of letting you pick up everything and bury it all under layer upon layer of inventory pages, which is simply too much for me. I like a balanced inventory system, and it’s increasingly difficult for me to find a game that meets that criteria for me.

Crafting. Can we figure out a uniform crafting system kinda like how we all agreed that R2 was the accelerator pedal? Do I need a workbench? Can I craft a nuclear bomb out of my backpack? Do I need a hammer? Why does an arrow need branches and metal shards in Horizon Zero Dawn but sticks and bone in another game? I’m tired of asking myself these dumbass questions every time I start a new game.

I loved the first Ratchet and Clank, but after many years I tried to return to it, and I found it nearly unplayable due to a lack of strafing. The controls are great overall, it's just that one little thing. It made me wonder how I ever managed to enjoy it at all, despite it being my favorite game for a while.

I gave up on a game once because there was no option to adjust the music volume relative to the sound effect volume. The music drowned everything else out (IMO, though I feel that way about every game's default volume settings) and it was too annoying to put up with. I don't remember which game it was though.

Not really a design or game mechanic, but more of a story point that made me drop a game.
It's an older game, but I'll put it in spoilers just in case.

In Heavy Rain when the son gets killed in the car accident in the beginning, it hit way to close to home. Not that any of my kids has been in an accident, but just the thought of it, struck something in me and I just couldn't continue.

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
The baby crying mechanic from SMW2 annoyed the shit out of me. Didn't make me quit playing, but did decrease my enjoyment of the game quite a lot.

Even worse than that though is the egg aiming mechanic in it and Yoshi's Island games. I don't care to play them or ever revisit them because it breaks up the pace of the game and turns the gameplay into an annoying mini game any time you ever want to use an attack.

Not really a small detail, it's a main part of gameplay, but any game that you have to stagger an enemy to do any REAL damage is immediately a no go. I barely made it through FF16 and FF7 Remake because of that. Part of the reason I won't play FF7 Rebirth either.

i find it a waste of time and a way to pad the battles to make them longer. I want to find the weakness or set an ailment and hammer away - not just keep attacking a "shield" until it falls and then go ham on the enemy, then rinse and repeat once the shield comes back up.

I also really don't like cooking/crafting. Just let me buy or find the items I need. I do enough cooking in real life. I don't like tedium in games anymore.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Not really a small detail, it's a main part of gameplay, but any game that you have to stagger an enemy to do any REAL damage is immediately a no go. I barely made it through FF16 and FF7 Remake because of that. Part of the reason I won't play FF7 Rebirth either.

i find it a waste of time and a way to pad the battles to make them longer. I want to find the weakness or set an ailment and hammer away - not just keep attacking a "shield" until it falls and then go ham on the enemy, then rinse and repeat once the shield comes back up.

I can’t believe that I forgot about this stupid function. It kinda makes sense for Barret, for example, since he’s a ranged fighter, but for everyone else? And for every combat scenario? Absolute overkill. I think if it were isolated to certain characters or scenarios it would be much more manageable, but, when every character has to stagger nearly every enemy… it gets old. Quick.

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
As soon as I find out a game is a harem game for the main protag (a man) I'm out

Take what happened with the tails series, the first had genuinely the best romance of any game I have played

But it's been harem since and you can't write a really good romance when that is the mechanic

I wish they would stop doing that, I know why they do that but I wish they wouldn't

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
As soon as I find out a game is a harem game for the main protag (a man) I'm out

Take what happened with the tails series, the first had genuinely the best romance of any game I have played

But it's been harem since and you can't write a really good romance when that is the mechanic

I wish they would stop doing that, I know why they do that but I wish they wouldn't

Even as a female protagonist those games get cheesy quick. Take the Life is Strange games for example…

I do agree, though. I have yet to play a game that seemed to accurately portray “romance”, but, I don’t exactly seek those games out. If a game incidentally has a romantic plot line, 9 times out of 10 I’m sitting there thinking about how unrealistic it is, which distracts me from the story. I don’t need to file joint asset taxes with an NPC in a game, or attend couples therapy… but, damnit, at least make it convincing for the sake of the story so it doesn’t seem like an option A or option B scenario.

I loved the first Ratchet and Clank, but after many years I tried to return to it, and I found it nearly unplayable due to a lack of strafing. The controls are great overall, it's just that one little thing. It made me wonder how I ever managed to enjoy it at all, despite it being my favorite game for a while.

I think the remake has it

I gave up on a game once because there was no option to adjust the music volume relative to the sound effect volume. The music drowned everything else out (IMO, though I feel that way about every game's default volume settings) and it was too annoying to put up with. I don't remember which game it was though.

I agree with this, always turn down music and sometimes sound effects

Yep, also the characters just arent as good IMO after the first series. (also assume you're talking about Trails in the Sky?)

Cold Steel feels really forced to one person story wise despite being able to pick any

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I can't remember any specific, but if the romance is tied to the story of the game and not in control of the player, I've seen a few decent ones. It's treating the romance as a prize in the end that come off poorly.

Uncharted series did it well, I think. I can't think of any others.
I think that's the difference between "romancing" and "romance". When I say "romancing" I mean like trying to woo partners, often as part of some optional gameplay.

FE3H did it alright tbh but the marriage stuff at the end was quintessential jRPG cringecel stuff

worst thing to ever happen to fire emblem was the advent of the "avatar" character who is god's specialest plot device. basically every avatar/actual character romance arc is dogshit because by necessity they have to be done for every playable character in the game, and given that the appeal of the avatar character is supposed to be people projecting onto them, those characters generally have very little...character. what this all adds up to is the "romance" mechanic basically just being poorly thought out fanservice when it's the player character doing the romancing. and don't even get me STARTED on how bad it was in fates or to a lesser extent fe3h. romance mechanics can work in fire emblem. just keep the player out of it! it's that simple!!! unfortunately catering to lonely chuds makes a lot of money so i don't think the avatar character is going anywhere anytime soon and it makes me sad. the last FE game to neither be a remake nor have an avatar character was fuckin' radiant dawn in 2007. that's bleak.

anyway to answer the question of the thread i'll echo the sentiments about dragon age from earlier. having played and enjoyed mass effect, i rented da: origins from gamefly expecting mass effect but with dragons. i did not get that or anything close to that and that's partially on me but i only lasted thirty minutes into that battle system before sending it back to gamefly as fast as i could

are you saying your username namesake didn't do a good job

Teenaged me that played it thought it was really well done, but I haven't thought about that part of it really since then. That version of me had never dated a woman yet, so I wouldn't trust his opinion. I thought FF8 and 9 did a pretty good job with what they had but I don't remember how well it held up.

I think that's the difference between "romancing" and "romance". When I say "romancing" I mean like trying to woo partners, often as part of some optional gameplay.

I didn't catch that, fair point. One is narrative, the other is completely different.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
worst thing to ever happen to fire emblem was the advent of the "avatar" character who is god's specialest plot device. basically every avatar/actual character romance arc is dogshit because by necessity they have to be done for every playable character in the game, and given that the appeal of the avatar character is supposed to be people projecting onto them, those characters generally have very little...character. what this all adds up to is the "romance" mechanic basically just being poorly thought out fanservice when it's the player character doing the romancing. and don't even get me STARTED on how bad it was in fates or to a lesser extent fe3h. romance mechanics can work in fire emblem. just keep the player out of it! it's that simple!!! unfortunately catering to lonely chuds makes a lot of money so i don't think the avatar character is going anywhere anytime soon and it makes me sad. the last FE game to neither be a remake nor have an avatar character was fuckin' radiant dawn in 2007. that's bleak.

anyway to answer the question of the thread i'll echo the sentiments about dragon age from earlier. having played and enjoyed mass effect, i rented da: origins from gamefly expecting mass effect but with dragons. i did not get that or anything close to that and that's partially on me but i only lasted thirty minutes into that battle system before sending it back to gamefly as fast as i could
The "charismatic" player character that every single character in the game loves despite never really saying or doing anything or interacting in any way whatsoever, really, needs to be put to bed. Although I did genuinely enjoy the character interactions in FE3H, all of the ones involving Teach felt so awkward and out of place.

Although I did genuinely enjoy the character interactions in FE3H, all of the ones involving Teach felt so awkward and out of place.
yup. compounding that problem was the issue of byleth’s meaningless choices in support conversations that resulted in byleth basically having no voiced lines and no consistent characterization. in a game where every other line is voiced, it makes the absence of almost all of byleth’s dialogue particularly glaring.

the warriors fe3h spin-off is weirdly way stronger in that regard. shez is an avatar broadly speaking but actually has a character and a voice and personality. since byleth isn’t the player character in that game, they even get a little more fleshed out too!

I agree with this, always turn down music and sometimes sound effects
Then don't play Oxenfree, because that's what game had no option to change it (I tried to play it again last night). Even worse, it's a "graphic adventure", so it's pretty much just listening to people talk while the music makes it impossible to hear them.

Even as a female protagonist those games get cheesy quick. Take the Life is Strange games for example…
How do you mean? I haven't played all of them, but the one I remember having romance seemed fine to me. You had a couple choices of who to seduce, and I think there was the option to just be friends with both of them. The one I'm thinking of had a female main character who had emotion-based powers. I don't think any of the other ones I played even had romance in them.

The baby crying mechanic from SMW2 annoyed the shit out of me. Didn't make me quit playing, but did decrease my enjoyment of the game quite a lot.

Even worse than that though is the egg aiming mechanic in it and Yoshi's Island games. I don't care to play them or ever revisit them because it breaks up the pace of the game and turns the gameplay into an annoying mini game any time you ever want to use an attack.
OMG YES. All I hear/read is praise for that game. But I cannot get behind the crying Mario and the focus on the aiming the egg. It has a really great visual style that uses the FX chip found in Star Fox, but man, I just can't get behind those elements of the game.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
How do you mean? I haven't played all of them, but the one I remember having romance seemed fine to me. You had a couple choices of who to seduce, and I think there was the option to just be friends with both of them. The one I'm thinking of had a female main character who had emotion-based powers. I don't think any of the other ones I played even had romance in them.

The first one covered a similar concept only with time, you’re describing the third one. The third one seemed to be a little bit more rounded out as far as that stuff went, almost as if some of the feedback they got on the first one was about how cheesy it was.

Im not a huge fan of Yoshi Island, I dont like the level design, feels random and very British. In that they are huge air hanger type levels which are prevalent in British platformers and it isnt something I typically want in a platformer, especially a Mario game

The first one covered a similar concept only with time, you’re describing the third one. The third one seemed to be a little bit more rounded out as far as that stuff went, almost as if some of the feedback they got on the first one was about how cheesy it was.
Huh, I don't remember the first one having any romance. Maybe I just didn't make the right choices.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Huh, I don't remember the first one having any romance. Maybe I just didn't make the right choices.

There was a route you could have taken either towards Eliot (I think that was his name) or Chloe, if I’m not mistaken. I haven’t played through all the different choices, but the game definitely alludes to both being potential interests if I remember correctly. It wasn’t by any means in-depth, because they were high school aged characters, but the implication is there.

I dislike Fatal Fury's two lane system that allows players to hop back and forth between tbe front and rear plain. I find it to be kinda useless and actually annoying to have to use because your opponent chooses to use it. It would work well if there was more than two players, but it doesn't work 1v1. Luckily, Mark of the Wolves and the Fatal Fury Japan only Gameboy port have a single plain/lane.

I dislike Mortal Kombat's dedicated block button. As someone who grew up on Street Fighter and Street Fighter clones, having a dedicated block button on a 2D fighting game just doesn't work for me.

The original Medal of Honor doesn't have a crosshair unless you "aim". The whole game is a janky mess, and I love it, but man no crosshair blows. Luckily the "easy aim" (autoaim) makes it less of a pain.

Any game that had a password save system. instead of battery backed save system. Road Rash, I'm looking at you...

Or games without any kind of save system at all post Legend of Zelda. I get that it's a short and easy game, but I have very little intention of beating Kirby's Dreamland (Gameboy) in one sitting...

Back
Top Bottom