• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Sega Dreamcast Forever

Deciding to make this thread so I can stop posting random stuff in the Recent Acquisitions thread.

The Dreamcast is my second favorite system behind the Gamecube. The system recently had it's 25th anniversary (NA). Been extra motivated into picking up more games for the system to round out my already pretty sizable collection of games. I feel like a big reason my DC library isn't larger than it currently is, is because NO ONE SELLS DC GAMES. And if they do, it's only the most commonly known titles and the 2K sports games. Local store has imports, so that's nice. What I find odd about the lack of DC games is that there are still a surprisingly amount that are still cheap-ish games, but like Gamecube and Wii U games, it seems stores seem to consistently have a small collection of games available for sale. Makes eBay the only viable option. Conventions don't come around often. Swap meets don't seem to be a thing here.

I've recently modded my system to have a quieter fan (system is super quiet now) and replaceable battery. Also have a GOOD HDMI adapter which takes the VGA signal and converts it to HDMI without any imput lag, change in resolution scaling, or change in colors and contrast. I've got the official Keyboard, Mouse, and Arcade stick. Arcade stick's buttons kinda suck, unfortunately. Lots of fighting games, but no good controller to play on them (was never good with D-pads on fighting games). Might need to get a Bluetooth adapter and see if I can use my 8Bit-Do arcade stick I bought for my Switch.

Here is my current collection of games.

GameGenreNotes
Atari Anniversary EditionCompilationHonestly, kinda weak compilation of Atari games.
Bang! Gunship EliteSpace Combat SimThink a more arcade-like Starlancer
Breakers2D FightingPost discontinue release.
CarrierSurvival HorrorResident Evil in space (or Dead Space with tank controls)
Capcom vs SNK2D FightingThis is the only Capcom VS release I have in English on the DC
Capcom vs SNK 22D FightingJapan Import. Have English version on Xbox
Crazy TaxiVehicle Arcade GameAlso have GC Port
Crazy Taxi 2Vehicle Arcade Game
Daytona USAArcade RacingI have two different versions of this game on the Saturn. There is still no arcade perfect port of the game.
Dead or Alive 23D FightingAlso on Xbox as part of DoA Ultimate
Demolition Racer No ExitArcade RacingThink Flatout before Flatout
Dino CrisisSurvival HorrorDisc is damage (missing data)
Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves2D FightingAlso, have digital Switch version.
F355 Challenge Passione RossaSim RacerThis game is suuuuuper hard
Fur FightersThird Person Shooter
Gaunlet LegendsArcade Hack'n'Slash/Dungeon CrawlerAlso have N64 version.
HYDRO THUNDER!!!!Arcade Boat RacingAlso have N64 version.
Iron AcesWWII Airplane Combat Sim
Jet Grind Radio"Action", Rollerblading
King of Fighters Evolution2D FightingDC port of KoF '99
The Last Blade 22D Fighting
Legacy of Kain: Soul ReaverAction/Adventure
Marvel vs Capcom2D FightingJP Import
Marvel vs Capcom 22D FightingJP Import, also have Xbox version
Metropolis Street RacerArcade RacingThe gameplay was used in what became Project Gotham Racing
NBA 2KSports (Basketball)
NFL 2KSports (American Football)
NFL 2K2Sports (American Football)
OuttriggerArcade First/Third Person Shooter
Power Stone3D Arena FightingPAL import
Quake 3 ArenaMultiplayer Focused FPSAlso have on PC
Rayman 23D Platforming
Ready 2 RumbleArcade Boxing
Resident Evil 2Survival HorrorAlso on PS1
Rippin' RidersSnowboardingPart of the Cool Boarders series
San Francisco Rush 2049Arcade Racing
Sega GTSim RacingIt's like Gran Turismo... but with a fraction of the content
Sega Smash Pack Vol 1CompilationSolid collection of games, but the audio is VERY bad
ShenmueAdventure/Open World
Soldier of FortuneFPSOn PC
Sonic Adventure3D PlatformingOn GC
Sonic Adventure 23D PlatformingOn GC
Soul Calibur3D Fighting (weapons)Also on XBLA
Space Channel 5Music/Rhythm
Speed DevilsArcade Racing
Star Wars DemolitionVehicular CombatThink Twisted Metal but with the Star Wars license and less polish
Star Wars Episode One: Jedi Power BattlesBeat 'em up
Star Wars Episode One: RacerFuturistic Racer
Test Drive Le MansSim RacerThis game actually has a 24 hours of Le Mans mode where you race for 24 hours. I'm probably never touching that mode, lol
Tokyo Xtreme RacerStreet RacingYou basically race around on Tokyo's freeways at night
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2Street Racing
Tony Hawk's Pro SkaterSkateboardingAlso have on N64, GBC, and Xbox (part of the 1+2 comp)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2SkateboardingAlso on N64 and Xbox
TrickStyleFuturistic RacingYou race on hoverboards
Unreal TournamentFPSPC
Vanishing PointArcade RacingFor some reason this game refuses to load the main menu despite not showing any serious damage
Wild MetalVehicular Combat
Vigilante 8 2nd OffenseVehicular CombatTwisted Metal copycat
Silent ScopeArcade Shooter
Phantasy Star Online V2MMORPGSupposedly you can play this game offline, so that's what I'm going to do. Also, supposedly the Gamecube version is the best.

Games I'm looking out for (* notates low priority game due to having on another system):

AirForce Delta - Ace Combat knockoff
Cannon Spike
Dynamite Cop - Technically Dynamite Cop 2, but the first one was called Die Hard Arcade in NA
Expendable
F1 World Grand Prix
Ikaruga
Incoming
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure - This game is going to be hard to find for a decent price
King of Fighters Dream Match '99 - KoF 98 port
Looney Tunes Space Race - This game has no right looking this good.
MDK 2
Power Stone 2 - This is going to be part of the Capcom Fighting Collection 2
Project Justice - This is going to be part of the Capcom Fighting Collection 2
Re-Volt
Record of Lodoss War - Saw this today in a store, but it was disc and manual only and it was higher priced than what I was willing to pay.
Rez
Sega Rally 2
Spider-Man *
StarLancer
Street Fighter Alpha 3 *
Street Fighter III Double Impact *
Street Fighter 3rd Strike *
Test Drive V-Rally
House of the Dead 2 *
Typing of the Dead *
Virtua Fighter 3tb - Not really a priority. I had this game once a long time ago, but didn't really like the combat. It's cheap, though.
Wacky Races
Zombie Revenge

Half Life homebrew for fun

Still looking out for games not on the list. Be easier if there were more DC games in stores instead of searching YT for "Dreamcast Hidden Gems." I'd also like to have English copies of the MvC and Power Stone games, but they're not priced realistically.

Last edited:
Ah never mind, that's too much hassle.

What's your criteria for picking which games you want to buy / keep?
No puzzle games, no turn based RPGs, no RTS games. Probably only keep one 2K game for sports. Only guy Spirit of Speed for the novelty of owning the definitive worst Dreamcast game. SHMUPS not a high priority.

Forgot to add Rez and Ikaruga to the list. Rez is realistic (though likely only on eBay due to it being a PAL release). Ikaruga is expensive and I already have the GC version.

I bought a dreamcast around 2006, got myself Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Powerstone 1&2 and Soul Caliber. I may have a few others but those were the big games I got
I have never been a turn based RPG guy, so I never touched the likes of Skies, Evolution, and Grandia.

I once had an NA copy of Power Stone but didn't like it because it wasn't a thing like Smash Bros like everyone suggested, so I traded it in. This was back somewhere around 2003-2004. Never went to find Power Stone 2 for that reason.

I also had Omikron: Nomad Soul, a game made by Quantic Dream (Detroit Become Human, Indigo Prophecy, and Heavy Rain). I despised the way the game played and traded that turd in super quick. I still have no interest in reacquiring it.

I don't recall trading away many other DC games other than a Jeremy McGrath racing game, which I only ever had the disc of that was part of a bunch of games in one of those CD books that someone just gave to me as a hand-me-down along with NBA 2K, NFL 2K, and others that I can't recall.

Man, I wish it was as easy and cheap to find Dreamcast games as it was in 2003.

Edit: I had D2 for some period of time before trading it in due to frustration dealing with the gameplay/controls. Wasn't a fan of the "stand in one spot in FPS mode".

Last edited:

Viper_Maniac

PGen Alumni
I've played both Vigilante 8 and Twisted Metal but Vigilante 8 was just so much more fun. I need to look for my old Dreamcast games. I still have my Dreamcast and it still works. I miss that old girl.

Back
Top Bottom