• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

RIP Bacon Reader

It's July 1st. Reddit's new API changes are active and has officially fucked third party apps. The operators of Bacon Reader have decided to basically kill the app instead of trying to work with Reddit. So, I guess I have to download the shitty Reddit app.

Same shit as Youtube and YT Vanced which also recently stopped working for me. Now I'm using the default YT app again.

I understand a need to make money, but sometimes they really go overboard with this shit.

Jawneh

The Courier
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I don't remember if I had bacon reader or some other reddit app, but I'm luckily such a light reddit user so this might not affect me much. Then again, I haven't been to the site in at least a week while all this is happening so maybe I'll hate it and never return.

All the youtube garbage though. That'll end up stinging me for sure as I tend to be watching or at least having stuff open in the background as I do things. I can't stand ads. The biggest reason why I haven't been able to watch stuff on my phone (which might be a good thing actually).

My time on reddit has absolutely cratered since all the API protests started. Always used Apollo on iOS, and with that gone I'm basically just done with the site.
All the youtube garbage though. That'll end up stinging me for sure as I tend to be watching or at least having stuff open in the background as I do things. I can't stand ads. The biggest reason why I haven't been able to watch stuff on my phone (which might be a good thing actually).
What youtube garbage are you referencing here?

Jawneh

The Courier
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
What youtube garbage are you referencing here?
They're currently testing new stuff against ad blockers. Essentially they let you use one, but limit the number of videos you can watch until you get completely blocked from viewing anything. Of course disabling your blocker or getting premium will help, but ad free viewing might soon be completely dead.

They're currently testing new stuff against ad blockers. Essentially they let you use one, but limit the number of videos you can watch until you get completely blocked from viewing anything. Of course disabling your blocker or getting premium will help, but ad free viewing might soon be completely dead.
Oh, yeah. I saw something about that. idk how they're doing the adblock detection, but usually that just ends up in an arms race between the filter creators and the site lol. Will have to wait and see what happens on that front.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I never got the appeal of Reddit… I don’t care for the format, the layout, or the scale of it.

Same for all of those chans.

I guess “growing up” on the progression from ProBoards to InvisionBoard to wBB to vB has me biased in favor of this style of message board format.

I never got the appeal of Reddit… I don’t care for the format, the layout, or the scale of it.

Same for all of those chans.

I guess “growing up” on the progression from ProBoards to InvisionBoard to wBB to vB has me biased in favor of this style of message board format.
Oh yeah, Reddit absolutely fucking sucks for communication. I absolutely loathe the threaded conversations there. Hated it on Slashdot back in the day, hate it still on Reddit. There were some events though that I really enjoyed being able to see unfold there, mostly Destiny related. The Sleeper Simulant quest, the ARG and then Outbreak Prime quest, the Whisper of the Worm quest. Seeing all of those things unfold was truly something special and I don't think it would have been possible for them to be solved/figured out without the sheer scale of something like Reddit. At least, not in a reasonable amount of time.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Oh yeah, Reddit absolutely fucking sucks for communication. I absolutely loathe the threaded conversations there. Hated it on Slashdot back in the day, hate it still on Reddit. There were some events though that I really enjoyed being able to see unfold there, mostly Destiny related. The Sleeper Simulant quest, the ARG and then Outbreak Prime quest, the Whisper of the Worm quest. Seeing all of those things unfold was truly something special and I don't think it would have been possible for them to be solved/figured out without the sheer scale of something like Reddit. At least, not in a reasonable amount of time.

I’m so out of touch that I’m completely oblivious to any prominent events on it, with the exception of those news stories you hear every once in a while about people on social networks like that combing through data together to solve missing persons cases or stuff like that. Don’t get me wrong, I think seeing stuff like that is awesome… it’s a good example of how it can be used for good. The problem is… the examples of how it’s used for not-so-good shit.

Last edited:
Reddit is good for information on random things, not for keeping up with friends or a close knit community. I prefer this, but if I need to know an obscure way to clean something I’m heading to Reddit not here
Totally agree. Here, I actually feel part of a community and feel a lot more comfortable about opening up or talking about whatever. Reddit, there are millions and millions of users, and comments on popular threads just get drowned out. I hate making new threads on Reddit, I always feel so corny and needy when I have something legitimate to post. I don't have that feeling here at all.

Holly

Resident of the GWF Retirement Home
GW Elder
Totally agree. Here, I actually feel part of a community and feel a lot more comfortable about opening up or talking about whatever. Reddit, there are millions and millions of users, and comments on popular threads just get drowned out. I hate making new threads on Reddit, I always feel so corny and needy when I have something legitimate to post. I don't have that feeling here at all.
This, exactly. Reddit has its place but it's no GWF.

I'm using Boost. I haven't decided if I'll give the official app another shake yet once it goes dark. I was an Alien Blue user when Reddit took it over. I've heard nothing positive about that app in a very long time. Granted, it's hard to get a bead on it with the bandwagoning that happens on Reddit.

I'm the problem, I pay (paid?) for Reddit Premium because I primarily use the browser and never the app. I just canceled today, but damn me for giving Reddit so much money for years.

Such a shit time for YouTube to decide adblockers are permanently disabled. I am part of the 1% that pays for YT Premium though. :blush
I wouldn't feel bad about that. Sites have to make money somehow, because they cost money to run. I detest ads personally, and will choose not to use a thing over watching an ad 100% of the time, but I'm happy to directly pay for services and products I want to keep existing. The options for a website are limited to these:
  • They charge you money directly
  • They make money off your visit indirectly (i.e. ads)
  • Enough people donate money to keep the site up without ads (Wikipedia model)
  • Site ceases to exist
A minority of people using ad blockers is kind of the third one, except other users are unwillingly subsidizing you. If enough people block ads, you end up with the last option. So if you like Reddit and YouTube but don't want to watch ads, then go for it and pay them directly. There's nothing wrong with that.

Madden_07

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
GW Elder
You're welcome! I was skeptical at first myself but I havent found any glaring issues minus the empty ad banner at the bottom since it's not the premium version. Way better than using the official app.

@Tommy Boy you are such a cutie
The Sandlot Kiss GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I think BaconReader even with the API trick is actually dead now. I can browse threads that are on my home page, but I can't open any of them. I can't look at my profile, but can look at my inbox for some reason. I've had issues in the past with poor connections, but I'm on my home wifi and it's no longer working.

It is fixable still! They just updated revanced manager thankfully

I repatched sync and it works

Back
Top Bottom