• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Sony PS5 Pro to be announced tomorrow

the only reason i would entertain buying one is if my ps5 died and even then i would probably not spend the extra money. i hate this new generation of releasing updated versions of current consoles a few years into the cycle when developers havent even optimized the current games.

Someone picked out possible design a few days ago in the 30th anniversary logo

I dont have a ps5 at the moment, the only game that really temps is me NCAA football, and sadly I dont find that enough. I think FF16 is coming to PC, but Im not overly crazy about the game, heard it has horrible pacing and really not what Im looking for. I tired to watch the first couple hours on youtube of the story and the characters werent grabbing me. I realize that watching is different than playing, but I really am more interested in the story so not sure I'll give it a shot

I'm fairly confident I'm going to buy this. I never bought the PS4 pro, and to be honest, I don't think a pro version of a console is ever necessary, especially given how few games have been released for PS5 so far. But I've been spending a lot of time between two different locations lately and it's getting quite frustrating to drag my PS5 between them. I thought about buying a second PS5, but I may as well wait and get a PS5 Pro. Then, when the PS6 comes out, I have the option of which one I want to trade in for a PS6.

May as well remove that question mark.
I'm finally useful as a mod! 🥲

I've never brought a pro model of a system. Unlikely to start now. Especially with the 5, there just hasn't been enough PS5 exclusives and DEFINITELY not enough to take advantage of the hardware. I can't tell you how many times I loves the IDEA of the dual sense when playing Astro's playroom, thinking "man games utilizing this are going to be really fun!"m And so far nothing really has.

The PS5, in my opinion, hasn't been readily available long enough. The pandemic plus the inability for people to get it for years after release... just delay this another couple years. Make more games that are fully utilizing the hardware capabilities of the system, THEN release the pro model.

I'm sure it's sales will be fine. The PS5 is a good system...

Maybe they'll finally drop the prices of the side plates and I can get my Volcanic Red plates.

I've held out on buying a PS5 because I have more than enough games already... but mostly because I was waiting for a pro model to launch.

Rumors are it has no disc drive though.

No disc drive, no buy.
The rumours say it's using the same idea as the PS5 slim and having an optional detachable disc drive.

We'll find out soon enough anyway.

Hard to say. It seems the only hands-on was given to CNET and they weren't allowed to capture footage.

That said, if their pitch of essentially offering base PS5 fidelity (30fps) modes at 60fps is accurate, then I'm not convinced. I'm a 60fps guy anyway, but flicking between performance and fidelity modes I often struggle to see a meaningful difference, although I accept this can vary a lot from title to title.

I do think applying PSSR system wide (i.e. without needing per-game patches) is smart and the ray-tracing improvements look more interesting since that's something that the base system struggles at.

Always Sunny No GIF

awfully bold of you to assume any of us have touched a call of duty since the original MW2 :link
Warzone was the perfect storm though - free, and it launched right when COVID first hit. I'd have no problem playing other games online with my friends, but we all settled on Warzone because it was free. Sadly, we haven't played in a couple of years, but it was fun while it lasted.

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I'll probably just eventually buy a Slim when there's a price drop because what the fuck is Sony even doing?

Food analogy:
It's like releasing a Double Cheeseburger, then later a McDouble, and finally a McDouble with Extra Cheese and patting themselves on the back for great innovation.

PS5 Marginal wasn't a trendy enough name, I guess.

The issue is that die shrinks have slowed down enormously. Historically they were the main drivers behind cost reductions. The PS5 has technically moved from TSMC N7 to N6 but that's a really small change in the grand scheme of things.

That is why I'm not surprised at this Pro price. There's no realistic way yet to add enough performance without greatly increasing silicon costs.

Given how much I spend on PC parts I can't exactly sit here and criticise!
The worst part is that I saw Costco had them available on their website before 10AM (when all retailers were supposed to list them), but only in a bundle with the disc drive. I wasn't planning on getting the disc drive originally, but when you're spending that much money, it's way easier to justify spending an extra $100 than if I had to buy it separately, and I figured I'd rather go with the sure thing when it's available than taking my chances later.

Now to find a vertical stand somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom