• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Sony PS Plus Catalog Recommendations

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Does anyone have any recommendations for games in the PS Plus Catalog aside from the AAA titles?

I'm looking for the next games I should play but not sure where to start.

I just downloaded Undertale, I'm looking forward to finally trying that one.

What other recommendations do you got?

In case you don't have the catalog and may want to provide recommendations anyhow:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Have you played the Life is Strange series yet? It was recommended to me, and despite it not being something I’d normally play if I saw the trailer for… the entire series ended up being entertaining, and it has brilliant execution for what is essentially a “choose your own adventure” story turned into a game.

Reactions: TD

Raine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
GW Elder
It seemed like a long shot given how out of the loop I've been since like mid-2012, but there are actually some games on there that I can recommend trying out depending on taste. They're all older so you may have already played them already, though!

The Darkness and The Darkness II are based on a comic book series of the same name. There will never be a third game so the narrative won't be finished (but, again, based on a comic so can just read that), but what was in the first two games was pretty okay - and not super intrusive - and the gameplay itself was also interesting. They're FPS games, but also you're a comic book anti-hero/borderline villain so you have some nifty magic powers. Think BioShock, but less slow and with a mafia crime family setting rather than horrific underground fantasy city.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game is honestly way better than it has any right to be. The narrative is, essentially, that it's literally the third film following the events of the first two movies. It kind of retreads ground a bit, but it's enjoyable and the gameplay itself is quite good. The version available here won't have it, and the PS3/X360 versions are dead, but the multiplayer mode was a fucking riot too - had a really, really amazing time with that alongside a bunch of drunken achievement whores back in the day.

Bulletstorm is an absolutely unnecessarily potty-mouthed, stylistic, completely ignorant curb-stomping fiesta in FPS form. So, uh... yeah I fit in pretty well there. 🤣 The narrative is basically not there and that's perfect, 'cause I definitely wouldn't have cared, and it's just all about killing goons in style for points. You can like powerslide into them, which will knock them into the air and activate a kind of Bullet Time slowdown, use a lasso to pull them back into you and punch them in the face. Is great, would at least try for an hour or so.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is just a simple, old-school brawler. Supports couch and online co-op if that's your jam. Decent enough to waste an afternoon with, not gonna win any awards or anything. Better alternatives also exist for purely wanting a beat-'em-up, like TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and Streets of Rage 4. But those aren't on the list!

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is a much harder sell. It's a narrative-focused, turn-based Strategy RPG that also isn't the best game in its own series (that would be Arc 2), but was still a good time for me. Memorable enough, though I don't actually know how well it's held up ~20 years later.

Reactions: TD

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Have you played the Life is Strange series yet? It was recommended to me, and despite it not being something I’d normally play if I saw the trailer for… the entire series ended up being entertaining, and it has brilliant execution for what is essentially a “choose your own adventure” story turned into a game.
I haven't played Life is Strange, I have played the Quarry and I did quite enjoy it as a different change of pace so that gameplay sounds very similar. Thanks for the recommendation.
It seemed like a long shot given how out of the loop I've been since like mid-2012, but there are actually some games on there that I can recommend trying out depending on taste. They're all older so you may have already played them already, though!

The Darkness and The Darkness II are based on a comic book series of the same name. There will never be a third game so the narrative won't be finished (but, again, based on a comic so can just read that), but what was in the first two games was pretty okay - and not super intrusive - and the gameplay itself was also interesting. They're FPS games, but also you're a comic book anti-hero/borderline villain so you have some nifty magic powers. Think BioShock, but less slow and with a mafia crime family setting rather than horrific underground fantasy city.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game is honestly way better than it has any right to be. The narrative is, essentially, that it's literally the third film following the events of the first two movies. It kind of retreads ground a bit, but it's enjoyable and the gameplay itself is quite good. The version available here won't have it, and the PS3/X360 versions are dead, but the multiplayer mode was a fucking riot too - had a really, really amazing time with that alongside a bunch of drunken achievement whores back in the day.

Bulletstorm is an absolutely unnecessarily potty-mouthed, stylistic, completely ignorant curb-stomping fiesta in FPS form. So, uh... yeah I fit in pretty well there. 🤣 The narrative is basically not there and that's perfect, 'cause I definitely wouldn't have cared, and it's just all about killing goons in style for points. You can like powerslide into them, which will knock them into the air and activate a kind of Bullet Time slowdown, use a lasso to pull them back into you and punch them in the face. Is great, would at least try for an hour or so.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is just a simple, old-school brawler. Supports couch and online co-op if that's your jam. Decent enough to waste an afternoon with, not gonna win any awards or anything. Better alternatives also exist for purely wanting a beat-'em-up, like TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and Streets of Rage 4. But those aren't on the list!

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is a much harder sell. It's a narrative-focused, turn-based Strategy RPG that also isn't the best game in its own series (that would be Arc 2), but was still a good time for me. Memorable enough, though I don't actually know how well it's held up ~20 years later.
I played the Darkness games a long time ago and enjoyed them enough. I've always heard good things about Scott Pilgrim and I really enjoyed Shredders Revenge. Didn't realize it had online coop, I'll give that a go.

Haven't heard of the others but I'll take a peek! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom