• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

[Not E-Fed] WWE/UFC Merger (TKO Group Holdings) Complete

193181.jpeg

What is everybody's thoughts on this new merger?

Do you think it helps wrestling and MMA, hurts it, or it'll just be business as usual?

It is interesting to see the largest wrestling/sports-entertainment promotion now under the same umbrella of the largest MMA promotion. Both promotions have come under fire for treatment of their employees, anti-trust issues, and having a monopoly, so I don't know if/how this merger will impact any of that.

Tubby23

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights
Executive
GW Elder
I'm not sure that I see a whole lot changing from what we as consumers would be able to see day-to-day.

The intention is still for White to run UFC and Vince/Papa Haitch to run WWE so I don't think anything will change. Potentially we see a little more cross-over promotion perhaps the like of Adesanya who is a big WWE fan is used to help market things.

From a UFC perspective perhaps they gain some IP on regard to putting on more flashy spectacles (if that's a path they even want to go down).

Love Daniel Cormier's smile at the ringing for the bell

There could be some crossover promotional opportunities. It's tough because I think a lot of the "personalities" in MMA/UFC don't crossover that well to WWE. It's a different world between being a big personality in the octagon versus cutting wrestling promos.

Seeing Ronda Rousey's second run in the WWE pretty much bomb makes me wonder how most MMA superstars would fare. Conor McGregor would be able to cut a great promo, as long as he didn't resort to saying how "wrestling is fake" and insult people's intelligence. But guys like Israel, Jones, Cormier, etc. don't cut wrestling style promos. You need to be a Chael Sonnen or Conor McGregor to do that stuff. Even Nate Diaz would feel out of place.

Plus, a lot of the time, MMA guys like Junior Does Santos, Cain Velasquez, and Daniel Cormier, who we all know are huge badasses and could destroy 99.99% of the planet in one-on-one fights, don't look that impressive or imposing under the WWE lights. Conversely, there are few if any WWE wrestlers who wouldn't look completely amateurish and embarrassing in an actual MMA fight, and an injury there could put them out of action for a long time.

So I don't think we will see any Forbidden Door type events with WWE vs UFC, unless they do some celebrity stuff similar to the competitions they used to do on The Ultimate Fighter, like having them compete in different competitions or Family Feud or something.

But having UFC fighters try to cut WWE promos or even wrestle a real match, or having WWE wrestlers try to get in the cage and fight... neither would end well. Hearing them talk about retired MMA fighters in the WWE made me a little nervous.

Yeah sorry when I say cross promotional I mean purely appearing as a host or a guest commentator, maybe a guest referee at a stretch.

Something that brings a new set of eyeballs for either promotion but doesn't result in the product being degraded.
Tito Ortiz had a couple guest referee spots in TNA around 2005 and they were excellent.

Ken Shamrock was the guest ref for Bret vs Austin at WM13.

And of course, Mike Tyson being guest ref for HBK vs Austin at WM14.

So yeah, that would be pretty good. Commentary might be rough for some, but if they are the third person in the booth, maybe it would work.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Conor McGregor would be able to cut a great promo, as long as he didn't resort to saying how "wrestling is fake" and insult people's intelligence. But guys like Israel, Jones, Cormier, etc. don't cut wrestling style promos. You need to be a Chael Sonnen or Conor McGregor to do that stuff. Even Nate Diaz would feel out of place.

He would be bad news for WWE. There’s no way in hell he’d be able to keep his attitude in check. He DEFINITELY has the personality, but… he’s gonna wind up thrown across the ring pissing off the wrong dude or hurting someone to prove a point.

He would be bad news for WWE. There’s no way in hell he’d be able to keep his attitude in check. He DEFINITELY has the personality, but… he’s gonna wind up thrown across the ring pissing off the wrong dude or hurting someone to prove a point.

He's a hothead for sure. I mean, the dude fights old guys in bars who don't like his whiskey.

But WWE has done business with hothead celebs before. Mike Tyson in 1998, Logan Paul, Floyd Mayweather Jr., etc.

Conor as a commentator, if he took it seriously, would be something. I could see him hosting WrestleMania too...

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
He's a hothead for sure. I mean, the dude fights old guys in bars who don't like his whiskey.

But WWE has done business with hothead celebs before. Mike Tyson in 1998, Logan Paul, Floyd Mayweather Jr., etc.

Conor as a commentator, if he took it seriously, would be something. I could see him hosting WrestleMania too...

I get what you’re saying, but, man… I just think he’s in a different category of hothead. Tyson did his dirt in the ring or on coke. I’m not that familiar with Paul, but from what I’ve heard… he’s the “streamer turned tough guy with something to prove” guy, and that is dangerous… but in a different way, with those kinda guys… his ignorance would sooner get someone hurt than his arrogance. Mayweather… he’s a businessman first and foremost. Doing some dumb shit on WWE would damage his brand, and he knows it.

Do you think it helps wrestling and MMA, hurts it, or it'll just be business as usual?
It won't hurt wrestling---I mean, "sports entertainment" as VKM calls it.
It will hurt MMA across the board (both in/out of UFC) because w/UFC attached at the hip to WWE, people will inevitably start to wonder if MMA fights are just as pre-determined as in wrestling.

Tubby23

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights
Executive
GW Elder
It won't hurt wrestling---I mean, "sports entertainment" as VKM calls it.
It will hurt MMA across the board (both in/out of UFC) because w/UFC attached at the hip to WWE, people will inevitably start to wonder if MMA fights are just as pre-determined as in wrestling.
There's already enough people that wonder that, I don't think this merger will have any impact on that.

Back
Top Bottom