• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

TV Shows Neon Genesis Evangelion (my first Anime since DBZ in my youth)

So not sure why I got a wild hair, I've never been big on anime since my childhood. I have watched a few anime movies that I liked, like Grave of Fireflies, and Only Yesterday. A buddy at a birthday party randomly asked me about Cowboy Bebop and I said I hadnt watched it.

So that planted the seed as I had wanted to give it and a couple others a shot. I ultimately decided on Neon Genesis first since there is a retroanuats podcast episode on it and I want to listen to that when I finish.

Im almost finished with episode 19 and will be also checking out the movies. But Im really loving it. Love the art style, characters and the (stereotypical anime) humor and it's starting to get really dark and serious and Im all for it

Also Asuka is my spirit animal

So not much to say as Im not finished, but other fans here?

VashTheStampede

Jawneh isn't The Courier
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I absolutely adore Evangelion for all its flaws.

It really spoke to me as an angsty depressed teenager. Watched it again (this time with the wife) when it hit Netflix a couple years back and it still hits hard (though I was not cool with how the new translation basically wrote out the homosexuality angle).

I love works of entertainment where you can see the creator really working through their issues.

I plan to watch them, they're the ones that are considered like either a re-telling or maybe sequel?
They're a re-telling. They explained the entire story better than the series did and there are lot of new things added and updated. The old 95 series was rushed and things weren't completed due to budget cuts and Hideaki Anno having a huge crisis due to his depression. So, if anyone was wanting to watch it. I'd say watch the 4 Rebuild films first. They sum it up much better and they don't spoil the show because it's an updated version of it all. It's what we should have gotten the first time.

Back
Top Bottom