• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Mt Rushmore of Marvel

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
a different kind of list here, if you're unfamiliar with the "mt rushmore of blank" concept, it's typically 4 people that regardless of whether you like them or not, are the biggest names, or have been the most important for their subject.

for me:

number 1 is obviously Spider-Man and I'm not sure anyone can reasonably debate that. I would imagine spiderman by himself draws in more new comics/super hero fans as kids than any other character. Spider-Man is still super close to my heart, and gun to my families head, I would say he's my favorite super hero of all time full stop.

for the second place I think Wolverine became one of the biggest faces of Marvel, maybe in part because of Hugh Jackman, but I think even before that he would've been considered among the most recognizable.

for the third place I'm gonna step out a bit and add Iron Man, and I add him purely because of the MCU. not only was RDJ the perfect person to cast, but iron man is the true kicking off point of the MCU (sorry Hulk), and the MCU has introduced more fans to comics than any other franchise of movies could have dreamed of. for that I think he makes the list.

and for the last spot I think the fantastic four need to be recognized, there's so much pioneered there, and from them I think who better than The Thing. not only would it be funny because he's made of rock, but also I think he is uniquely identifiable to the other 3 "good looking people". I think the thing most represents what the fantastic four are.

curious to see what others might say.

overall, Marvel as a brand.
Well, in that case, I think I'd have to include Charles Xavier in mine. Leader of the X-Men and there would really be no X-Men without him.

Along with Captain America. Because he's more a symbol, like Batman. There have been many to take up the shield, but they are all leaders.

I really can't argue with Spider-Man either... I'd like to, but I can't.

And then I'm stealing a personal one in Gambit. Because "Congrats. You just got beat by me."

VashTheStampede

Jawneh isn't The Courier
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Spider-Man (Peter Parker) is an absolute lock and anyone who leaves him off their list is kidding themselves.

Wolverine (James "Logan" Howlett) would have to be #2. You have to have X-Men representation on the list, and while I understand the Xavier idea, the X-Men were a failed property until Giant Size X-Men #1 and the Second Genesis storyline introducing the new, internationally-sourced team. This team and Chris Claremont's 16-year run as writer vaulted the mutants into being, by far, the most popular property in Marvel. And Logan was the centerpiece for most of it after Inferno and into the 90s. They shoehorned him into every other book and made him the protagonist of the films. An argument could be made for Storm, the leader of the X-Men for most of the 80s and 90s and the most recognizable black character in comics history...but I give the edge to the little guy.

Hulk (Bruce Banner) is my #3. Instantly recognizable to people who have never touched a comic book, and the first crossover Marvel star thanks to his popular 70s TV series (where he was renamed David Banner because Bruce sounded "too gay" (wonder how Batman feels)). Was so popular at one point that in addition to his comic book they were printing "Hulk! Magazine" to get the character in people's hands at newsstands that didn't otherwise carry comic books with their periodicals. Also hamfistedly shoved into other books to drive their sales, such as the long-running Defenders series. The fact that we never got a truly successful film adaptation is one of the main failings of the MCU project.

Captain America (Steve Rogers) is my #4. RDJ's Tony Stark lit the fuse for the MCU and the explosion of Marvel popularity, but it wasn't until The First Avenger that things really got to a fever pitch and Avengermania hit the mainstream. That's the moment that the majority of people bought in that this wasn't a flash in the pan trend, it was an actual thought-out plan and story that they were invested in, even though the Avengers were basically an afterthought in the comics for AGES. I could definitely see an argument for Tony in this spot, but the fact is that he was, at best, a B-Level player in the comics until the Favreau film, and very few people on the street would recognize him. Everyone knows Captain America. He punched Hitler.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Spider-Man (Peter Parker) is an absolute lock and anyone who leaves him off their list is kidding themselves.

Wolverine (James "Logan" Howlett) would have to be #2. You have to have X-Men representation on the list, and while I understand the Xavier idea, the X-Men were a failed property until Giant Size X-Men #1 and the Second Genesis storyline introducing the new, internationally-sourced team. This team and Chris Claremont's 16-year run as writer vaulted the mutants into being, by far, the most popular property in Marvel. And Logan was the centerpiece for most of it after Inferno and into the 90s. They shoehorned him into every other book and made him the protagonist of the films. An argument could be made for Storm, the leader of the X-Men for most of the 80s and 90s and the most recognizable black character in comics history...but I give the edge to the little guy.

Hulk (Bruce Banner) is my #3. Instantly recognizable to people who have never touched a comic book, and the first crossover Marvel star thanks to his popular 70s TV series (where he was renamed David Banner because Bruce sounded "too gay" (wonder how Batman feels)). Was so popular at one point that in addition to his comic book they were printing "Hulk! Magazine" to get the character in people's hands at newsstands that didn't otherwise carry comic books with their periodicals. Also hamfistedly shoved into other books to drive their sales, such as the long-running Defenders series. The fact that we never got a truly successful film adaptation is one of the main failings of the MCU project.

Captain America (Steve Rogers) is my #4. RDJ's Tony Stark lit the fuse for the MCU and the explosion of Marvel popularity, but it wasn't until The First Avenger that things really got to a fever pitch and Avengermania hit the mainstream. That's the moment that the majority of people bought in that this wasn't a flash in the pan trend, it was an actual thought-out plan and story that they were invested in, even though the Avengers were basically an afterthought in the comics for AGES. I could definitely see an argument for Tony in this spot, but the fact is that he was, at best, a B-Level player in the comics until the Favreau film, and very few people on the street would recognize him. Everyone knows Captain America. He punched Hitler.
I can’t think of a better Mt Rushmore

yeah, this is probably it

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
I think the question of who'd make your second tier Mount Rushmore is more interesting maybe, since everyone's first tier will probably be at least 50% the same.

For myself:

Tier 1
Spider-man
Captain America
Hulk
Dr Doom

Tier 2
Wolverine
Scarlet Witch
Punisher
Magneto

VashTheStampede

Jawneh isn't The Courier
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I think the question of who'd make your second tier Mount Rushmore is more interesting maybe, since everyone's first tier will probably be at least 50% the same.

For myself:

Tier 1
Spider-man
Captain America
Hulk
Dr Doom

Tier 2
Wolverine
Scarlet Witch
Punisher
Magneto
Ooh, gonna have to think on this

Oh, we're doing second tier now?

Im with Vash on the first tier.

Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk and Cap.

Second tier, I feel like we need some villains or have a separate villain tier.

Villain Tier: Magneto, Doctor Doom, Venom, Thanos

Personally, Galactus is the villain I had hoped would pop up in an MCU movie by now. But you kinda have to reintroduce the Fantastic Four, Dr Doom, and Silver Surfer before you bring that behemoth into the fray. Since Thanos is the big bad that had been looming over the MCU for a decade, it's likely he is a bigger deal.

Second Tier heros:

The Thing, Iron Man, Daredevil, Professor X.

If it wasn't for RDJ actually making the character interesting, Iron Man wouldn't even be a top 10 Marvel heroes character. He was an incredibly dull character until RDJ made him interesting. So he fits now.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Oh, we're doing second tier now?

Im with Vash on the first tier.

Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk and Cap.

Second tier, I feel like we need some villains or have a separate villain tier.

Villain Tier: Magneto, Doctor Doom, Venom, Thanos

Personally, Galactus is the villain I had hoped would pop up in an MCU movie by now. But you kinda have to reintroduce the Fantastic Four, Dr Doom, and Silver Surfer before you bring that behemoth into the fray. Since Thanos is the big bad that had been looming over the MCU for a decade, it's likely he is a bigger deal.

Second Tier heros:

The Thing, Iron Man, Daredevil, Professor X.

If it wasn't for RDJ actually making the character interesting, Iron Man wouldn't even be a top 10 Marvel heroes character. He was an incredibly dull character until RDJ made him interesting. So he fits now.
Haven't they all hit like, god level I power levels in the comics? Iron man included? I'm pretty sure he had some crazy power leveled armor versions that let him rival Thor, etc.

That could have all come about after RJD and the MCU though. I do recall the boring tin can looking Iron Man of the past not really seeming exciting.

Haven't they all hit like, god level I power levels in the comics? Iron man included? I'm pretty sure he had some crazy power leveled armor versions that let him rival Thor, etc.

That could have all come about after RJD and the MCU though. I do recall the boring tin can looking Iron Man of the past not really seeming exciting.
I'm a big fan of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. Tony is a total dull in those games and he was immensely unlikable in the Civil War story that the second game and Captain America Civil War lightly adapted. Tony is basically a smug, super serious walking tin can with a lot of money. He's supposed to be Marvel's Batman, but he fucking sucked for so long as a character.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder

I was JUST watching a tiktok about how pretty much all hero's get cosmic power at some point. daredevil even becomes a "God" in one of them.

Tony has god armor forged from the same metal as Mjolnir (iirc).

Reactions: Ben
Peter Parker is still poor even when he has godly powers
All the power in the universe is no match for...

RENT
iu

• Lol
Reactions: Ben

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Honestly, that line up makes sense. Spiderman is the biggest Marvel hero. And the other ones who rival Spiderman in popularity are teams, not individuals, so why not go with the most popular of those teams. Wolverine, Hulk, and the Thing are pretty good picks.
I just can’t see Captain America not being on it

VashTheStampede

Jawneh isn't The Courier
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Cap has rarely had great sales from a comic perspective, whereas in the 70s Hulk was basically the original Wolverine in that he was shoved into every fuckin book.

If you had to pick between them, I'd go Hulk

Back
Top Bottom