• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Multi Media you’d love to see adapted into video games

This can be as vague or as specific as you’d like.

For me, I think it’s time for a proper Game of Thrones game. I loved the Telltale one (as I do with all of their games) but something bigger would be great. I know this would never happen but I’d love to see Rockstar make a Game of Thrones game. I think they’d be magnificent at it with all the horrible characters. Could also make a good strategy game with the wealth of territories.

Slightly different one but I think the Millennium books (The girl with the dragon tattoo, etc.) could also be fun.

Tubby23

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights
Executive
GW Elder
Your first suggestion would be amazing and now I can't think of any other option.

That said, there was an Australian crime series called Underbelly which was a dramatisation of the Melbourne (not far from where I live underground of drug dealing, killings etc) o think it would make a really good game but again I think Rockstar is about the only one that would do it justice.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
This can be as vague or as specific as you’d like.

For me, I think it’s time for a proper Game of Thrones game. I loved the Telltale one (as I do with all of their games) but something bigger would be great. I know this would never happen but I’d love to see Rockstar make a Game of Thrones game. I think they’d be magnificent at it with all the horrible characters. Could also make a good strategy game with the wealth of territories.

Slightly different one but I think the Millennium books (The girl with the dragon tattoo, etc.) could also be fun.

It’s funny you say that, because I used GoT to reference a lot material in TES: Skyrim to introduce my girlfriend to it.

I’d love to see a major budget Fallout or BioShock, personally. Both are getting the streaming treatment, and I think they both deserve more than that.

However… I just saw a commercial for Gran Turismo. Who the the hell asked for that? What’s next? Need For Speed? Oh, wait, nevermind, too late… what’s next? Frogger: The Movie?

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I'm pretty intrigued by the new upcoming Wolverine game that is coming out.

I do think the negative stigma around video games based off of shows/movies doesn't help, but it also doesn't help that most are bad.

In terms of what I'd like to see become a game? That's tough.

I think the nature of something like Umbrella Academy or The Boys could translate into a somewhat interesting game.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I do think the negative stigma around video games based off of shows/movies doesn't help, but it also doesn't help that most are bad.

I think a lot of that stems from early on in the gaming industry… they made a game for everything that made it to film or television, from cheesy side-scrolling TMNT games to turning every Disney movie into a platform game… If I had to pinpoint a time we saw a shift it would be around when FFVII: Advent Children or Resident Evil came out. When games made “good” movies, suddenly they felt more confident making movies into games.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
See I actually loved the TMNT games, things like Turtles in Time? I played that to death.

There were a few other early generation ones I liked - Lion King, Aladdin, but yeah. Most were bad.

I wasn’t trashing them by any means, it just seemed like they copy/pasted the same formula for every game… it was more about blatantly capitalizing off of the movie or show than playability. Prime example being the ET game… massive movie, but what happened to the game?

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
It’s funny you say that, because I used GoT to reference a lot material in TES: Skyrim to introduce my girlfriend to it.

I’d love to see a major budget Fallout or BioShock, personally. Both are getting the streaming treatment, and I think they both deserve more than that.

However… I just saw a commercial for Gran Turismo. Who the the hell asked for that? What’s next? Need For Speed? Oh, wait, nevermind, too late… what’s next? Frogger: The Movie?
The Gran Turismo movie isn't really an adaptation of the game though, its a story about the driver academy they made where players could train to become actual racecar drivers.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
The Gran Turismo movie isn't really an adaptation of the game though, its a story about the driver academy they made where players could train to become actual racecar drivers.

I didn’t realize that earlier, but went reading after I said that because I was wondering what the plot could actually be about.

I kinda just assumed…

angry eric cartman GIF by South Park

The Atari one?

Ooph. In a landfill.

Exactly. I’m sure a lot of companies were apprehensive about investing too much into making a game, which is what probably led to them taking a very simplistic approach with the others I mentioned. If it sells, great. If it don’t, they kicked out a small investment and only spent a little bit of time on it.

Raine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
GW Elder
Just about any shonen anime/manga is ripe for this, on the condition that they use the world/setting to create something unique and don't just retell the story for the umpteenth time like Dragon Ball or Naruto do. When Yu-Gi-Oh! got like a full-blown RPG on the GBA, for example, that was real cool - as was the Pokemon TCG game that had ultimately inspired it.

Something like Yu Yu Hakusho where you're an actual spirit detective doing cases, maybe sort of like the first SMT Raidou Kuzunoha game but infinitely more polished and refined, would be fucking fantastic. Gurren Lagann just begs to be exploited and to have some utterly ridiculous, universe-faring RPG bullshit of infinite escalation - and may be a case, if done well, of just following the narrative beats and filling in blanks for downtime being sufficient.

And an actual, honest to god attempt at a Power Rangers (or Super Sentai, I suppose) game would be great. I really enjoyed some of those back on the SNES/GEN, and you can do so much with the ongoing comic book beyond the fighting game I'm not at all interested in. Everything from Musou-style, to J-Action/Character Action, to RPG could work really well depending how much material they used and what they did with it.

I wasn’t trashing them by any means, it just seemed like they copy/pasted the same formula for every game… it was more about blatantly capitalizing off of the movie or show than playability.
I didn't realize it at the time, but boy did The Cowabunga Collection reveal how blatant it was. TMNT2 Arcade (NES) and Turtles in Time (SNES) were the two I always loved, but the former basically existed as, I don't know, 4~5 different games and the latter (alongside Hyperstone Heist, which I didn't play back then) was more of a Greatest Hits than a unique game. Still absolutely incredible, even today, but... yeah.

Licensed games were weird, though. Like back on the SNES and GEN I would say typically licensed games were amongst the best available - things like Castle of Illusion, Aladdin, hell even some of the Jurassic Park games come to mind - and then later on, probably somewhere in the PS1 generation but definitely by the PS2 generation, were generally synonymous with garbage. And then we had a sort of resurgence with things like Batman Arkham, but... most licensed games are still poo.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Just about any shonen anime/manga is ripe for this, on the condition that they use the world/setting to create something unique and don't just retell the story for the umpteenth time like Dragon Ball or Naruto do. When Yu-Gi-Oh! got like a full-blown RPG on the GBA, for example, that was real cool - as was the Pokemon TCG game that had ultimately inspired it.

Something like Yu Yu Hakusho where you're an actual spirit detective doing cases, maybe sort of like the first SMT Raidou Kuzunoha game but infinitely more polished and refined, would be fucking fantastic. Gurren Lagann just begs to be exploited and to have some utterly ridiculous, universe-faring RPG bullshit of infinite escalation - and may be a case, if done well, of just following the narrative beats and filling in blanks for downtime being sufficient.

And an actual, honest to god attempt at a Power Rangers (or Super Sentai, I suppose) game would be great. I really enjoyed some of those back on the SNES/GEN, and you can do so much with the ongoing comic book beyond the fighting game I'm not at all interested in. Everything from Musou-style, to J-Action/Character Action, to RPG could work really well depending how much material they used and what they did with it.

I didn't realize it at the time, but boy did The Cowabunga Collection reveal how blatant it was. TMNT2 Arcade (NES) and Turtles in Time (SNES) were the two I always loved, but the former basically existed as, I don't know, 4~5 different games and the latter (alongside Hyperstone Heist, which I didn't play back then) was more of a Greatest Hits than a unique game. Still absolutely incredible, even today, but... yeah.

Licensed games were weird, though. Like back on the SNES and GEN I would say typically licensed games were amongst the best available - things like Castle of Illusion, Aladdin, hell even some of the Jurassic Park games come to mind - and then later on, probably somewhere in the PS1 generation but definitely by the PS2 generation, were generally synonymous with garbage. And then we had a sort of resurgence with things like Batman Arkham, but... most licensed games are still poo.

Some of my favorite older games are like that, though. I had Power Ranger games (the movie version game is a GREAT example of licensed garbage), a Pink Panther game (fun, but difficult as fuck), the Jurassic Park games you mentioned, and several others. I have fond memories being angry at all of them… but I’m retrospect, it’s clear why they were hated.

Back
Top Bottom