• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Verdict Is Mickey Mouse, in fact, a mouse?

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
One could argue that they are humans or humanoids that have animal characteristics instead. I think that's a more accurate way to look at it.
Mickey is clearly not human. He is a humanoid mouse, if you prefer that adjective. The fact that humanoid is an adjective, means it has to describe something. In this case, it is describing the type of mouse he is. Mice, are animals. Mickey is still an animal

living in a world that contains other anthropomorphic animals as well as non-anthropomorphic animals
This part intrigues me, because the existence of non-anthropomorphic animals within the same universe implies that the anthropomorphic ones are in fact not animals.

Let's look at how it would be perceived in the other direction: If the fictional universe had anthropomorphic animals only (as in no non-anthropomorphic ones), yet they were alongside basic human beings, we'd say that those characters are just animals in a universe where they can talk and act like people sometimes.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
This part intrigues me, because the existence of non-anthropomorphic animals within the same universe implies that the anthropomorphic ones are in fact not animals.

Let's look at how it would be perceived in the other direction: If the fictional universe had anthropomorphic animals only (as in no non-anthropomorphic ones), yet they were alongside basic human beings, we'd say that those characters are just animals in a universe where they can talk and act like people sometimes.
Dogs are domesticated canines living in a world with undomesticated canines. They look very different, can walk alongside people act like people some times

Mickey is clearly not human. He is a humanoid mouse, if you prefer that adjective. The fact that humanoid is an adjective, means it has to describe something. In this case, it is describing the type of mouse he is. Mice, are animals. Mickey is still an animal
Animal traits: Ears, nose, tail.

Human traits: Bipedal, speaks human languages, wears pants, wears shoes, wears gloves, has jobs.

Only thing on the animal side are physical characteristics (and not even 100% there, as he has some physical traits that are human and not mouse-like). On the human side, we have abilities and behavior and self-awareness and education and so many other things that weigh so much more on the scale than just physical characteristics.

Dogs are domesticated canines living in a world with undomesticated canines. They look very different, can walk alongside people act like people some times
That is such a weak argument. Because dogs can be trained to do a very poor mimicry of humans sometimes? That's not who they are naturally, like with Mickey, who yawns and gets out of bed on two feet (not for a few seconds on command for a treat) and makes his coffee and reads a newspaper and know what the words on the page mean. Then goes and puts dog food in a bowl for Pluto, an animal.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Animal traits: Ears, nose, tail.

Human traits: Bipedal, speaks human languages, wears pants, wears shoes, wears gloves, has jobs.

Only thing on the animal side are physical characteristics (and not even 100% there, as he has some physical traits that are human and not mouse-like). On the human side, we have abilities and behavior and self-awareness and education and so many other things that weigh so much more on the scale than just physical characteristics.

That is such a weak argument. Because dogs can be trained to do a very poor mimicry of humans sometimes? That's not who they are naturally, like with Mickey, who yawns and gets out of bed on two feet (not for a few seconds on command for a treat) and makes his coffee and reads a newspaper and know what the words on the page mean. Then goes and puts dog food in a bowl for Pluto, an animal.
1. Animals can be self aware
2. Animals can be educated
3. Animals yawn

Are Pinky and the Brain no longer mice? They are clearly laboratory mice, whose genes have been spliced. They do all the things you are talking about and more. We do not know enough about Mickey’s origins or that of his ancestry to eliminate the possibility that their genes had also been spliced
pinky and the brain animation GIF by hoppip

1. Animals can be self aware
2. Animals can be educated
3. Animals yawn

Are Pinky and the Brain no longer mice? They are clearly laboratory mice, whose genes have been spliced. They do all the things you are talking about and more. We do not know enough about Mickey’s origins or that of his ancestry to eliminate the possibility that their genes had also been spliced
pinky and the brain animation GIF by hoppip
Pinky and the Brain would fit into the other scenario I had mentioned: there are no non-anthropomorphic animals in their universe (at least as far as I'm aware), but they exist alongside regular humans. Therefore Pinky and the Brain are rats that interact with humans in a human-like way. I should also point out that they are still rat-sized compared to humans.

Oppenheimer

Mickey Mouse, one of the most iconic characters in popular culture, undeniably embodies the traits we associate with mice. With his large round ears, playful demeanor, and whimsical charm, he serves not just as a mascot for The Walt Disney Company, but as a representation of childhood joy and imagination. To dismiss him as anything but a mouse is to overlook the very essence of what he symbolizes. Mickey is a celebration of creativity, innovation, and the magic of storytelling. His mouse-like characteristics are a reminder of the importance of playfulness in our lives. Embrace the spirit of Mickey Mouse—not just as a character, but as an enduring symbol of fun and adventure.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
But why does Goofy get to talk and Pluto doesn't when they are both dogs? Huh? HUH?
One is anthropomorphic and one is not
Pinky and the Brain would fit into the other scenario I had mentioned: there are no non-anthropomorphic animals in their universe (at least as far as I'm aware), but they exist alongside regular humans. Therefore Pinky and the Brain are rats that interact with humans in a human-like way. I should also point out that they are still rat-sized compared to humans.
pinky and the brain do everything Mickey does, they even converse with typical humans in English. Only their stature separates them, but Brain builds large mechanical bodies to compensate. If anything, pinky and the brain are more humanoid than Mickey Mouse. Maybe pi key and the brain are the first generation of laboratory mice with genes that have been spliced, and Mickey is the result of many generations of splicing, and his universe is one where all animals have had their genes spliced

One is anthropomorphic and one is not

pinky and the brain do everything Mickey does, they even converse with typical humans in English. Only their stature separates them, but Brain builds large mechanical bodies to compensate. If anything, pinky and the brain are more humanoid than Mickey Mouse. Maybe pi key and the brain are the first generation of laboratory mice with genes that have been spliced, and Mickey is the result of many generations of splicing, and his universe is one where all animals have had their genes spliced
Brain is an exception because of the experiments done on him, that's his whole premise. And he still doesn't wear clothes, or shoes, or gloves.

You're missing the point in that the category of OTHER living beings in their universe with which to compare them to, speaks volumes.

You have something in the gray area: and anthropomorphic animal thing that talks.

Are there non-anthropomorphic animals alongside them (like Pluto)? Then they're not animals.

Are there regular humans in the show, with zero animal-like qualities? Then they're an animal that talks to the regular humans.

Goofy, Mickey, Hello Kitty are all examples of the first one. Pinky and the Brain is from the second category.

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Jon

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Brain is an exception because of the experiments done on him, that's his whole premise. And he still doesn't wear clothes, or shoes, or gloves.

You're missing the point in that the category of OTHER living beings in their universe with which to compare them to, speaks volumes.

You have something in the gray area: and anthropomorphic animal thing that talks.

Are there non-anthropomorphic animals alongside them (like Pluto)? Then they're not animals.

Are there regular humans in the show, with zero animal-like qualities? Then they're an animal that talks to the regular humans.

Goofy, Mickey, Hello Kitty are all examples of the first one. Pinky and the Brain is from the second category.
Pinky and the Brain are in the same universe as Animaniacs and Tiny Toons (and by extension, Looney Toons). There are regular pigeons in the good feathers shorts, and in other clips. There are anthropomorphic animals in Tiny and Looney Toons. There are regular humans in all 3 as well.

Mickey and Brain fall into the same category. Your witness

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder

Also, hello kitty is canonically a girl dressing up as a cat

Pinky and the Brain are in the same universe as Animaniacs and Tiny Toons (and by extension, Looney Toons). There are regular pigeons in the good feathers shorts, and in other clips. There are anthropomorphic animals in Tiny and Looney Toons. There are regular humans in all 3 as well.

Mickey and Brain fall into the same category. Your witness
If there are all three, then they are neither one.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
If there are all three, then they are neither one.
You are arbitrarily defining the groups instead of using adjectives to create subgroups. Humans and non-humans

Non-humans subdivide into aliens (dodo from looney toons and Marvin the Martian, etc) and animals

Animals subdivide into anthropomorphic and non-anthropomorphic.

No controversy

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
It was never humans vs. non-humans.

It's whether Mickey is a mouse.

He is an anthropomorphic mouse. Which means he is both not a human and not a mouse.

At least know the court case you're arguing in.
I never said it was between humans and non-humans. I showed how to properly classify creatures, without creating new definitions. He is an anthropomorphic mouse, from the sub-sub-subcategory anthropomorphic animals, from the sub-subcategory animals, from the subcategory non-humans

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Technically, he isn't real, so Mickey himself is not rich.
Some website/article through Google states that the value of Mickey is basically the same as Walt Disney Co. so that's quite many monies. Like 178 billion freedom units.

As he was born in the land of the free, he has the freedom to be. There's no need to question it.

What is very interesting though, in the Walt Disney universe, is that Goofy is the only one who fucks. He has a son. Donald has non and Mickey has none.

Some website/article through Google states that the value of Mickey is basically the same as Walt Disney Co. so that's quite many monies. Like 178 billion freedom units.

As he was born in the land of the free, he has the freedom to be. There's no need to question it.

What is very interesting though, in the Walt Disney universe, is that Goofy is the only one who fucks. He has a son. Donald has non and Mickey has none.
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

⚠️WARNING!! INCOMING JUDGE CORRUPTION!! WARNING!!⚠️

@shortkut I'll offer you an under-the-table deal (not that, get your hands off my johnson). I will end this court case right now and rule that Mickey Mouse is, in fact, a mouse, provided you first give us a sword testimony here and now in front of all these witnesses that pineapple on pizza is fucking delicious, and leave it up long enough for others to confirm that they got their screenshot of it.

Do we have a deal?

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Hello Kitty are all examples of the first one.
My head canon is that Hello Kitty is a delusional little girl / little girl playing pretend and using her imagination to view herself and the world around her in a new, playful, and non-real way.

It reminds me of that episode of Adventure Time when there's a knife storm outside, so Finn and Jake play pretend and imagine this whole crazy scenario in which the floor actually turns to lava, and they even fight "invisible" enemies and stuff, and the episode ends with them laughing as the imaginary world they created turns back to normal, making you question whether the knife storm was actual knives all along... or just rain. That episode was the shit of gold. Fuck that show was good.

...and then a writer in a much later season, who probably missed the intent, brought the knife storm back as an actual thing and it kinda ruined it for me.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
⚠️WARNING!! INCOMING JUDGE CORRUPTION!! WARNING!!⚠️

@shortkut I'll offer you an under-the-table deal (not that, get your hands off my johnson). I will end this court case right now and rule that Mickey Mouse is, in fact, a mouse, provided you first give us a sword testimony here and now in front of all these witnesses that pineapple on pizza is fucking delicious, and leave it up long enough for others to confirm that they got their screenshot of it.

Do we have a deal?
IMG_0190.jpeg

• Shocked
Reactions: TD
Back
Top Bottom