• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

I bought something maybe stupid

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
SegaSonic_title.png
Today I learned that this game exists:

...and just a few hours later, I'm the owner of it. I didn't pay the price mentioned in the article. I talked the guy down a fair bit, but it still cost a dime.

However, there was some logic behind the purchase. I'm thinking of setting it up in a popular used game/card/collectable shop back home and splitting the profits with the owner. There's a lot of space in the shop, so I think he'd be up for it. Plus, there's only like 3 arcades recorded in the world that still have this system operating, and Sonic fans are fucking nuts so I think there's some cash flow potential there. Worst case scenario, I guess I just try to flip it for some cash, but I'd like if people can actually play it in the wild without my wallet taking a huge hit.

So, hey. My first arcade game I've ever bought -- and really not the sort of thing I want to get in the habit of buying. Just couldn't pass up this opportunity though.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
if it does eventually get set up you should post some pics of it! that's a really cool find
For sure, will do. I'll be back in Can in like 6 months so hopefully will do it then. Part of the reason the owner sold it to me at a discount was because I mentioned I planned to set it up and let other people play it, and he asked for pics too when it happens.

I only saw it because of a thread on 4chan lulz

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Owning an actual arcade machine has long been a want, but I can never justify to myself the money it takes to buy one and the space required to keep it.

I wouldn't get something stupid rare, though. It would be something like Hydro Thunder, Crazy Taxi, or a fighting game.
I remember years ago wanting to purchase some arcade cabinets out of nostalgia, they were 500-750 in price. Is that a similar price to their current costs?

I remember years ago wanting to purchase some arcade cabinets out of nostalgia, they were 500-750 in price. Is that a similar price to their current costs?
It depends on the machine. I think most stand up games Iike fighting games or some classic arcade games will be around that range.

But then you have someone selling a non-functional After Burner machine on eBay for 2.5k.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
A
It depends on the machine. I think most stand up games Iike fighting games or some classic arcade games will be around that range.

But then you have someone selling a non-functional After Burner machine on eBay for 2.5k.
After Burner is a game I never "got" from looking at gameplay vids. It was very well-received, but the gameplay I've seen looks confusing and unfun. Maybe it's one of those games you have to play to "get".

A

After Burner is a game I never "got" from looking at gameplay vids. It was very well-received, but the gameplay I've seen looks confusing and unfun. Maybe it's one of those games you have to play to "get".
After Burner is pretty simple. Kill the enemy planes, don't get shot down by their missiles. You have two fire modes: A machine gun with unlimited ammo and missiles. You can lock on to multiple enemies and shoot missiles at them. There's a barrel roll action you can use in order to more easily evade incoming fire, but I haven't been able to do it with any sort of consistency in the NES and Genesis versions.

Think of a super simple Star Fox without bosses, allies, or smart bombs, but is faster paced. You just shoot enemies and survive.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder

Makes sense. I only looked at games that gave me that nostalgic feeling. TMNT, X-men, simpsons, time crisis 2, house of the dead (2?). I think TC2 was the most expensive at around $1000 since it had the pedals.

This was also over 10 years ago and my wife told me no because we lived in a 600+ sqft apartment in NYC and logistically she was right, but fiscally, only time will tell

Just the guts. I'll have to pick up a cabinet at some point. I found a place that's matbe willing to "host" it.
That is so cool dude. Do you think you can find the cabinet it's meant for? I'd imagine there are a good handful of these in existence that are in decent shape but the guts don't work anymore. Or do you think you'd make a custom cabinet? Seeing what these go for, I really hope you're able to break even on your investment at the very least, and bring some cool Sonic nostalgia back into the world.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
That is so cool dude. Do you think you can find the cabinet it's meant for? I'd imagine there are a good handful of these in existence that are in decent shape but the guts don't work anymore. Or do you think you'd make a custom cabinet? Seeing what these go for, I really hope you're able to break even on your investment at the very least, and bring some cool Sonic nostalgia back into the world.
I found someone who might be willing to host the machine in their arcade. I'll worry about the cabinet when I get back to Canada it's big to concern myself with now, and I want a guarantee from the arcade owner that I can get X amount of time in order to make the "investment" worth it. Plus, he could probably help me find a suitable cabinet.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
this finally arrived at saudi customs and holy shit i got fucked by the long arm of the tax law

my shipments have dodged customs every time here, but of course the most expensive order i've made gets hit for a full 20% tax. yikes. would've been cheaper having it shipped to canada :dead

time to stop buying video games for a while while i nurse my wounds...

*immediately starts browsing ebay*

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
this finally arrived at saudi customs and holy shit i got fucked by the long arm of the tax law

my shipments have dodged customs every time here, but of course the most expensive order i've made gets hit for a full 20% tax. yikes. would've been cheaper having it shipped to canada :dead

time to stop buying video games for a while while i nurse my wounds...

*immediately starts browsing ebay*
gone christmas GIF

SegaDragon

Custom title enjoyer
GW Elder
I played through the first like 4 levels of it. It was really neat, but definitely isn't meant for a keyboard. The levels are diagonal, but not at a perfect 45 degree angle, so arrow keys aren't appropriate. Arrow keys require you to move in a zig zag pattern to not fall off. I assume the actual ball controls for the physical arcade is significantly more accurate, allowing you to move at partial angles, so probably a must-have to enjoy it as it was meant to be played.

Definitely enjoyable and probably would be one of my top favorite arcade games if I ever played one in person.

Back
Top Bottom