• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Industry How long does a game have to catch your attention?

Raine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
GW Elder
This has been another hotly debated topic of late with the releases of Final Fantasy XVI and Diablo IV growing further away. Whether through gameplay or narrative, how long do you tend to give a game before you drop it?

Final Fantasy 16 is purportedly an easy game. This is not, in and of itself, a bad thing. FF16 is a far cry from the series' turn-based combat roots, trying to capture the attention of a wider audience. One such audience is the Devil May Cry fanbase for which FF16's battle director, Ryota Suzuki, was a contributor. However, there does appear to be a catch: FF16 does not allow you to choose its harder difficulty setting out of the gate. To do so, and fully experience the combat system, one must complete the game at least once. Asking a fan of DMC to play through ~40 hours before they can test, in their estimation, "the real thing" is a bit of a large ask.

Similarly, Diablo 4 has captured the attention of a much larger audience than D3 did. The design choices do not seem to reflect this, however. One wrinkle that cropped up last month is that, in order to participate in Seasonal Events/Battle Passes, D4 (still) requires you to create a fresh character. After investing potentially dozens of hours into their character, some newcomers were understandably less than receptive to this idea.

Beyond newer games, Square Enix in particular is no stranger to this dilemma. FF13 was criticized for largely being a tutorial for its first ~30 hours, not allowing players to choose their party leader (and, therefore, the controlled character) or rearranging the party in any way outside of Paradigm roles (read: job class). Kingdom Hearts 2 begins with a 3-hour, unskippable tutorial with a character that isn't Sora and whom people, to that point, would have no attachment to. FF14's early content, especially A Realm Reborn, has been increasingly gutted and powercrept over time. This has left new players with hardly any attacks to use and virtually zero challenge, but ~70 hours worth of mandatory content before they can reach Heavensward, the first expansion, where the community insists "the story gets good here."

This is also a common criticism of Ubisoft's flagship series over the last decade. As their games, such as Assassin's Creed and Far Cry, have gotten larger and larger in scope, people have become fatigued. Particularly with the style, or lack thereof, of content that litters the maps. While overwhelming at first glance, a sizable portion of the gaming community insists that, if you manage to stick with the games long enough, the experience smooths out and becomes solidly good. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and its female protagonist, Kassandra, appearing to stand out the most in recent memory.

Have you got any more examples? Are there series or genres you just won't touch to begin with because they're perceived as being too much of a time commitment to properly enjoy?

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Hmm... for me, I already kind of know before I even play a game that I'll enjoy it. How long I'll play it will simply depend on my attention span and whether or not I get enough serotonin giblets from the game. Rogue lite games are a good example for me. As long as the core mechanics are good and there's enough meaningful meta progression, I'll grind those games to dust or at least until it gets too rough to get just one small upgrade or unlock. The Binding of Isaac is a good example of that. I still play it here and there and it tells you what things you need to beat for your checkmark, but after hundreds and hundreds of hours playing it I'm slightly burned out from trying to get everything. One day though. One day.

TotK is a weird one for me. I think it's only because it's on the switch and not on my computer, but I have a weird mental block for picking it up again and finishing some side stuff that I want to. I beat the big baddie, did most of the meaningful side quests, explored most the areas and was planning on finishing up with getting the last 20 or so shrines and couple silly leftover quests. Haven't touched it in like 2 weeks or more. And I have well over 200 hours in it and love the game. So idk whats up with that.

I had tried Dying Light 2 since one of the kids has it on Steam and we share our libraries. I played it for maybe an hour once and never booted it again. The time I spent was enjoyable, but nothing grabbed me about it. Maybe it was just the theme that I'm done with or something. Or maybe I wasn't craving a slow burn single player game at the time. I don't feel like trying again though even if I can tell it's a very well made game.

As for D4, I've been avoiding buying it since I know it'll be my next time sink. I played a lot of D3. I was in alphas and betas, got through the gruesome rmah Era, but sadly grew tired before they managed to fix most of the loot tables and whatnot. Still enjoyed the hell out of the grindier D3 though. And D4 just looks to be better than what the later half D3 is.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It REALLY depends on the game and the vibe I’m getting as I’m getting started.

For example… there’s a game called Stranded Deep. Strongly recommended by a friend. I downloaded it, and played through 10 minutes. After I grasped the concept of what I was supposed to do quickly, my health had already been reduced thanks to jumping and injuring myself. So… I tried climbing a tree, failed, and broke a leg. I waddled around for a minute, and then gave up.

Then… there are games like Days Gone. I played it for about 45 minutes, and it was a slow burner, as it was all tutorial content and introducing you to the mechanics of the game. I kept getting this feeling that I needed to stick it out, and I was thoroughly impressed with the game by the time I completed it. There were certainly elements that could have been improved, but it was a damn good first entry and I’m disappointed it wasn’t popular enough to necessitate a sequel. Had a sequel been made, I’m sure it would have been a special game.

Raine

GW Elder
For me, I'm pretty good at knowing with minimal research whether a game is up my alley or not. But, almost without fail, something in each game drags the experience down or just irritates me. Like, let's go with Deus Ex: Human Revolution - an immersive sim. The game itself is fine, but it doesn't really offer any sort of instructions for how to play it. Which, y'know, fine. They want you to approach the game in your own way. Except... the way I wanted to approach the game kind of really exposed the whole facade.

I went around the entire starting building/headquarters hacking the computers of coworkers, learning about various mundane things, and in the process stumbled upon something that seemed to be a sidequest. Through e-mails on their computers I learned that someone had been stealing items from people's desks, and also that there appeared to be someone doing shady black market deals. Potentially with those items. Unfortunately, despite spending ~2 hours wandering about, it became obvious that 1) I was the thief :chuckle and 2) the black market dealer shows up in either the main story or one of the sidequests, I don't specifically remember right now which, but the game (and main character) doesn't acknowledge that I/he knows.

This happens again much later in the game, where if you hack computers you learn about a nasty conspiracy that pertains to the main game. The narrative tells you to do something, but you can refuse to do it - with or without this knowledge from the computers - and the relevant scenes play out the same way regardless. With the exception that you get a penalty that makes a boss fight much harder if you do as initially instructed. It's really deflating knowing that nothing you do really matters.

Plus, issues with the core game itself too. Specifically with regards to melee takedowns, which requires an energy meter that is suuuper slow to recharge. If you're doing a Pacifist run, and I was, you honestly spend more time sitting around waiting for the bar to charge than you do stalking and knocking out guards. Which is bad enough on its own, but I always force myself to finish every game I start and I always go for 100% completion Achievement/Trophy-wise. Because I'm an idiot. 😂 So more often than not I walk away from a game with a soured experience.

TotK is a weird one for me. I think it's only because it's on the switch and not on my computer, but I have a weird mental block for picking it up again and finishing some side stuff that I want to.
Not necessarily the same thing since the Switch has docked mode, but this is something I have an issue with as well. I have a ton of GB(A)/(3)DS/PSP/Vita games in the garage I want to play, I just... don't want to play them on their native device. :chuckle There's some disconnect where I can't really/fully enjoy games on a handheld device, which has also kept me entirely away from mobile gaming.

For example… there’s a game called Stranded Deep. Strongly recommended by a friend. I downloaded it, and played through 10 minutes. After I grasped the concept of what I was supposed to do quickly, my health had already been reduced thanks to jumping and injuring myself. So… I tried climbing a tree, failed, and broke a leg. I waddled around for a minute, and then gave up.
Sounds like one of those Survival-genre games, with stamina meters and hunger meters and the like? I think you have to be in a very particular mood to enjoy that, which to date has not happened for me. I didn't even particularly enjoy those elements in a game like Dead Rising, though I know people do - or did, at the time - love that first game to death.

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Not necessarily the same thing since the Switch has docked mode, but this is something I have an issue with as well. I have a ton of GB(A)/(3)DS/PSP/Vita games in the garage I want to play, I just... don't want to play them on their native device. :chuckle There's some disconnect where I can't really/fully enjoy games on a handheld device, which has also kept me entirely away from mobile gaming.
Sadly neither docked or handheld make a difference. It's a different system altogether. I do prefer it being docked and playing on a bigger screen that's also brighter.

... and I forgot about my GB/DS games. I got a Fire Emblem game on my 3DS that I started and forgot about after... 2-3 hours? I never beat LoZ Phantom Hourglass, but that was mainly since I just disliked the control scheme on that. Oh, and Skyward Sword on the Wii. Same issue. Couldn't stand the controls, so at some point I just didn't feel like playing it. And I'm a Zelda fanboy. That should say something.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
If it doesn't do it within 30-60 minutes, I'm out. If I might be curious, I give it a few hours. The vast majority of games don't get more than a few hours for me, they have to grab me early.

For that reason I probably miss out on a lot of objectively good games. A lot of new major games feel cut scene heavy and slow to start, that's not my thing usually.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Sounds like one of those Survival-genre games, with stamina meters and hunger meters and the like? I think you have to be in a very particular mood to enjoy that, which to date has not happened for me. I didn't even particularly enjoy those elements in a game like Dead Rising, though I know people do - or did, at the time - love that first game to death.

That’s exactly what it was, and I honestly wish it wasn’t so clunky. I’d love a game like that that didn’t break so early on. When I told my friend that I tried climbing a tree, he was surprised… Apparently, that’s not something you’re supposed to do, but because the palm tree was leaning, I was able to walk up a portion of it.

Dude was hungry. I climbed the palm tree assuming food would be up there because I didn’t see it anywhere else. How the fuck was I supposed to know?

For that reason I probably miss out on a lot of objectively good games. A lot of new major games feel cut scene heavy and slow to start, that's not my thing usually.

This is my biggest issue with newer games… you spend more time watching a movie than actually playing. Cut scenes used to be a “special” occurrence, now they’ll cut away and show you dramatically walking out of a door in slow motion for 45 seconds just so you can retake control and play for another few seconds before you’re lead into inescapable dialogue.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
This is my biggest issue with newer games… you spend more time watching a movie than actually playing. Cut scenes used to be a “special” occurrence, now they’ll cut away and show you dramatically walking out of a door in slow motion for 45 seconds just so you can retake control and play for another few seconds before you’re lead into inescapable dialogue.
Exactly. You quoted Days Gone above and I had the same experience. A friend told me "give it 3 or 4 hours", I'm not gonna do that to get into a game.

I have a PS5 as my main source of gaming and maybe I'm a bad PlayStation owner. I tell people that and they start listing off the typical ones, God of War, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy XVI. None of which I've played for more than a couple hours for those very reasons. I want to play my games, not watch them or start off with LENGTHY tutorials. I've bought 3 games for PS5 since release (a really small number) and anything else I try is through PS Plus typically.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Exactly. You quoted Days Gone above and I had the same experience. A friend told me "give it 3 or 4 hours", I'm not gonna do that to get into a game.

Days Gone was a SOLID game, their problem came from spreading out the tutorial over such a wide area. I get it, they wanted to introduce stuff in segments, but it left a lot of people feeling like you did… ESPECIALLY combined with the terrible voice acting and drawn-out dialogue. There were times it was painfully drawn-out.

I have a PS5 as my main source of gaming and maybe I'm a bad PlayStation owner. I tell people that and they start listing off the typical ones, God of War, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy XVI. None of which I've played for more than a couple hours for those very reasons. I want to play my games, not watch them or start off with LENGTHY tutorials. I've bought 3 games for PS5 since release (a really small number) and anything else I try is through PS Plus typically.

I have played God of War and the Horizon series and will say this… they’re both fun, but very heavy on cut scenes and dialogue. Yeah, it’s good for story telling… but they’ve gotten the balance between cut scenes and actual gameplay so far off.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Hmm, yeah, I've heard they are objectively good games. My other problem is with limited gaming time, if I pass on a game once I'll probably never come back to it with my ever growing backlog.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Hmm, yeah, I've heard they are objectively good games. My other problem is with limited gaming time, if I pass on a game once I'll probably never come back to it with my ever growing backlog.

The good thing about Days Gone over the others is the easy ability to skip through cutscenes and dialogue, but it comes at the sacrifice of the story. They don’t make certain games for busy people anymore… gone are those days where you can sink 20 minutes into FFVII and guarantee hitting a save point before you gotta go to bed.

Raine

GW Elder
Honestly, all games need a "skip cutscene" button. I'm personally all for good narratives and compelling casts, but after a while if your story isn't going anywhere I kinda just wanna skip the damn thing and continue on my way. :chuckle

Dude was hungry. I climbed the palm tree assuming food would be up there because I didn’t see it anywhere else. How the fuck was I supposed to know?
Well, if nothing else at least you got an amusing story out of it. But yeah, "getting it" with survival games is definitely a thing. None of the ones I've seen - which, to be completely fair isn't a ton - really tell you anything. Just kinda drop you in and tell you to figure shit out for yourself.

If you're in the mood for that, I imagine it's great. But some idea of what the objective is (if there is one!) would be nice.

Edit: Something like Bastion is how you do a story well. Just some narrative over top of the action for the most part, very little in the way of proper cutscenes. And the ones there are, are pretty short.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Honestly, all games need a "skip cutscene" button. I'm personally all for good narratives and compelling casts, but after a while if your story isn't going anywhere I kinda just wanna skip the damn thing and continue on my way. :chuckle

I’ve noticed an increase in PS4 games with it over PS3 games. I have no clue about PS5 games.

Well, if nothing else at least you got an amusing story out of it. But yeah, "getting it" with survival games is definitely a thing. None of the ones I've seen - which, to be completely fair isn't a ton - really tell you anything. Just kinda drop you in and tell you to figure shit out for yourself.

Even the controller map was ambiguous as hell, dude… it was your standard “Jump”, “Action”, “Interact”, etc. setup.

If you're in the mood for that, I imagine it's great. But some idea of what the objective is (if there is one!) would be nice.

At LEAST something to give you the premise and something beyond telling you the actions you can do. Okay… I can jump… what the fuck for? Alright… I can interact with stuff. WHAT stuff? Whatever happened to those quick “this is how you make a weapon, this is how you make a health kit, this is how you kill, now fuck off” kinda tutorial?

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
All the above makes me think that unless it's a specific series, theme, or genre, we just don't like longer format 100+ hour games. I tend to also enjoy the "just one more" aspect of games where I lose or die and just got to get one more round in before bed or whatever. That's probably another reason why I enjoy most roguelites.

I also randomly remembered my time with Skyrim. After multiple playthroughs I just started to dispise all of the early game stuff even after getting a mod to skip the initial wagon and dragon attack. And that's after I had sunk in hundreds of hours and did want to play more. Fallout 3 and New Vegas went the same way too even though in general I loved the games.

Raine

GW Elder
At LEAST something to give you the premise and something beyond telling you the actions you can do. Okay… I can jump… what the fuck for? Alright… I can interact with stuff. WHAT stuff? Whatever happened to those quick “this is how you make a weapon, this is how you make a health kit, this is how you kill, now fuck off” kinda tutorial?
Remember when video games had instruction manuals they could just slap that shit into? So that people like me could refuse to read them and then wonder why I didn't know about a super useful mechanic for dozens of hours. 😂

I also randomly remembered my time with Skyrim. After multiple playthroughs I just started to dispise all of the early game stuff even after getting a mod to skip the initial wagon and dragon attack.
Mm, unrelated but this jogged my memory of another thing I was going to bring up.

RPG-lite mechanics (leveling, stats) absolutely ruin some games. Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers, for example, are fine when you play with your first character. But once you choose a different character that starts at lv1, and you don't have most of the basic abilities, your movement speed is drastically lower, etc., it immediately makes me want to stop playing. ...Or just cheat to bypass the leveling process, if at all possible.

The Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla trilogy for Assassin's Creed is apparently bad about that too. Having levels means you can't just assassinate everyone you manage to sneak up on; you have to be within a certain level range. Like, way to entirely miss the point there Ubisoft. :rolleyes:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
All the above makes me think that unless it's a specific series, theme, or genre, we just don't like longer format 100+ hour games. I tend to also enjoy the "just one more" aspect of games where I lose or die and just got to get one more round in before bed or whatever. That's probably another reason why I enjoy most roguelites.
I also randomly remembered my time with Skyrim. After multiple playthroughs I just started to dispise all of the early game stuff even after getting a mod to skip the initial wagon and dragon attack. And that's after I had sunk in hundreds of hours and did want to play more. Fallout 3 and New Vegas went the same way too even though in general I loved the games.

You used good examples of games that have an autosave function that occurs frequently enough and a storyline that is easy enough to track progression through the quests section, which is what you need for a game of that kinda duration.

The ONLY other effective solution is the way Rockstar does it… quick saves.

Otherwise… games like The Last of Us 2… you could get stuck having to sit through a bunch of shit before you can save… or having to start a checkpoint back. Fuck all that.

Remember when video games had instruction manuals they could just slap that shit into? So that people like me could refuse to read them and then wonder why I didn't know about a super useful mechanic for dozens of hours. 😂

That’s like when albums had liner notes, a fucking rarity. People don’t appreciate stuff like that anymore, because we didn’t appreciate it back then.

Whether through gameplay or narrative, how long do you tend to give a game before you drop it?

Have you got any more examples? Are there series or genres you just won't touch to begin with because they're perceived as being too much of a time commitment to properly enjoy?

Case by case basis. If I feel like Im forcing myself to play I drop it. Some games I give more time if I know it is story based

I will play a Ubisoft game, well at least a far cry, but I may just stop playing after awhile, like Far Cry 6, played it for like 20 hrs, had fun but then I was done with it.

I know I wont play a Souls or 3d zelda game. The games are too long for what little story there is. (Lore of the souls games dont interest me either)

Avenger

The Great One
GW Elder
ATTENTION THE GREAT AVENGER HAS SOMETHING TO SAY

Avenger can't think of the last game he didn't finished once he started. Avenger doesn't know if he's just a good game picker or just stubborn.
THE GREAT AVENGER HAS SPOKEN :smash 🤨

Case by case basis. If I feel like Im forcing myself to play I drop it. Some games I give more time if I know it is story based

This. I will give story-based games time to develop because they are a slower burn - but I need to be hooked within a couple of hours.

Pretty much any other genre game is easy to figure out if I will play it. I had PS+ just for that - if I played for an hour and wasn't into it - I'd jump to another game. I feel like most games know this and will cram the intro with their best stuff to get someone hooked.

Back
Top Bottom